1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Very sad news

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by akaryu, Jan 8, 2017.

1. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Hello Planeteers,

I just learned of the passing away of that lovely gentleman, an icon and a giant in our hobby, Lynn Sangster, aged 83. The oldies amongst will always fondly remember him . Sincerest condolences to his family.

Pierre
    anstontyke, Jazz, peedee and 5 others like this.
  2. pkessling Active Member

Wow! One of the Founding Fathers of our hobby. A true gentleman, who I had the pleasure of dining in his home with.
    My deepest condolences to his family.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    OMG ..how sad ..a true founder of the hobby and such an influence on what we have today

my condolences and thoughts are with his family at this time

RIP Lynn

Nap
    anstontyke, peedee, stoffy01 and 2 others like this.
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I had the privilege to meet Lynn sangster in 1996 when I paid a visit to Historex agents,a lovely bloke who gave me the time of day and even showed me round the premises,a visit I'll never forget.
    I hope someone comes up with some sort of award in his memory at this years new Euro show,for without him we'd never have had a Euro militaire
    anstontyke, peedee, stoffy01 and 4 others like this.
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I had the priviledge of knowing Lynn since my teenage.
    I first met him, without knowing who he was, at Northern Militaire with his Historex Cublicle full of painted wonders.
    He was so encouraging and patient, answering many qustions about the hobby, as if no one had ever asked the 'same old questions' before.

When I was allowed, the following new year, to travel alone to the Model Engineering exhibition in the January, I was astonished that he remembered me !.

From that day on I have tried to do what he did, help and encourage others.

The lads at Historex Agents have also tried to follow Lynn's example of courtesy and a first class service.

Humbled and proud to have known him over many years, not just as a customer, but through our love of Euro-Militaire too.
    RIP Lynn.

Paul
  6. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Very, very saddened to learn of Lynn's passing. Sincere condolences to his family. He was a true founder of the hobby, introducing many of my age in Australia to Historex figures through his advertisements in Military Modelling and postal service. I had the privilege of meeting him in 2008 when visiting his shop in Dover. Such a lovely bloke, told me how he came upon Historex figures in France, his love for them, and how he set up his business at home. Like Smudger he showed me around his premises. A true gentleman who will be missed by all who had the privilege of meeting him.

We owe him a great debt in making available a wide range of figures, and being so enthusiastic about the hobby.

RIP Lynn, we will always remember you did so much to make the hobby popular.

Chris
    anstontyke, Huw63, peedee and 4 others like this.
  7. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Like you Brian, Chris & Pee Dee I too was fortunate to meet and be inspired by Lynn.
    He supplied our fledging model supplies business back in early 90's in pre internet days & this helped intro to others. I think Lynn's sponsorship of early modelling ventures like Verlinden and Hornet were instrumental in helping them achieve popularity & strong distribution. He leaves a lasting legacy and good to see Historex Agents continues in the transition to the digital sales age.

Kindest regards and thoughts to Lynn's family & friends.
    He leaves global footprints in the sand...
    anstontyke, peedee, stoffy01 and 4 others like this.
  8. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A lovely man and true pioneer of the hobby. Historex agents always set the standard through their wonderful catalogues and high quality figure displays at every show they attended back in the day, it was a major inspirations for young modeller like myself (many years ago). I think its true to say Lynn counts amongst those who guided our hobby away from just being blokes playing with toy soldiers - into a true art-form

Sadly missed...

-Rich
    anstontyke, Chrisr, peedee and 4 others like this.
  9. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just found out about dear Lynn's passing, and , having known him since the early days of the Model Engineer Exhibitions at Seymour Hall, and having seen his sad decline in recent years, I am devastated. His vibrant enthusiasm for all aspects of the hobby was truly infectious, and it is obvious what a massive debt of gratitude we owe to him.
    A real gentleman in every respect. I could write a whole litany of anecdotes from all the exhibitions and French competitions we enjoyed under his guidance.
    My sincere condolencies to his family, who he adored. A sad, sad loss.
    He was someone of whom it can be truly said,

"His life was gentle,
    And the elements so mixed in him,
    That Nature might stand up and say to all the world,
    This was a Man"

Alan
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Didn't know him personally, but from what I know of him he was certainly a stalwart of the hobby. Condolences to his family.

- Steve
  11. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
  12. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    A true gentleman of this wonderful hobby
    feel so sad at hearing of his passing

Rest in peace Lynn
    and thanks for bringing us Historex

Frank
  13. Huw63 A Fixture

I first met him in 1978 or 79 at the Model Engineering Exhibiton when i was allowed (like Paul above) to travel from South Wales to London alone to attend the show. A big adventure for a 15 year old who, even then, was displaying nomadic tendencies. I recall Lynn and a Geoff Cornish (?) talking with me and encouraging me, and the Max Longhurst seminar and him patiently answering my questions. I then encountered Lynn several times at Euro in the 1980s and 1990s. Always courteous, friendly and enthusiatic, a true gentleman. So another great in the hobby has gone to the modellers den in the sky. I hope he rests in peace and that his family accept my deepest condolences.

Huw
    anstontyke, Martin64, OldTaff and 3 others like this.
  14. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    I met him in the mid 70ies in company of Jean Hoyos of La Heaumerie du Casque D'Or, a great and symphatic guy
    Farewell
    anstontyke, peedee, Chrisr and 3 others like this.
  15. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Lynn Sangster, Ray lamb, François Verlinden, Jean Hoyos, they should have their names engraved in a Figure Hall of Fame! They were and still are at the base of my lifelong passion for this hobby of ours.
    Pierre
    anstontyke, peedee, Chrisr and 5 others like this.
  16. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I am very sad to hear of the passing of Lynn Sangster. I never had the pleasure to meet this gentleman but I was well aware of of his high standing within the modelling community, especially for his great contribution to the Euro Militaire competition. The modelling world is a sadder place without him. My deepest condolences to his family.
    John
    anstontyke, peedee and Chrisr like this.
  17. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Very sad news, indeed.

Scott
    anstontyke, peedee and Chrisr like this.
  18. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    God bless & thanks, Mr S
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  19. cinimod Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Will be a sadly missed stalwart of our modelling community.
    Condolences to his family and friends...........dom
  20. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    remember his models in military modelling and the historex catalogues,an inspiration to all, cant be replaced./ badger