1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Vercingetorix - my "comeback" miniature

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by No Remorse, Mar 5, 2015.

1. No Remorse Active Member

Heya

I have been away from mini painting for 7 years and this is the mini I knew I was going to paint when I was finally able to make a return.

This is my first historical and first 54mm, so far I am liking this scale a lot. I used to be mostly a wargame painter and the realism in historicals was a bit intimidating for me, but I think I am ready now to really develop my skills in this direction.

Here is the start of Vercingetorix with the face being nearly complete with the exception of a few minor touch ups.

Sorry for the picture quality I have not yet set up a dedicated photo booth.

Keep Smiling

[IMG]
    Vic, Macca G, Jazz and 13 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thats a nice casting and a great painted face. Can't wait to see the rest.
    Bob
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice start ..looks a nice figure who makes it?

Looking forward to seeing more updates

Nap
  4. No Remorse Active Member

Thanks!

He is Vercingetorix by Andrea.

Here is a quick update for those interested. I managed to get the left half of the torso done today, next up the left arm and right torso. Again, sorry for the picture quality, I think I will take tomorrow and set up a proper photo booth.

[IMG]
    Jazz, BESPJL, gendegaia and 8 others like this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    looking really good.

marc
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Really nice work on the fleshtones.
    Two questions... What kind of paint are you working with? And, in the pics of the fig primed... do you wash the primed fig with ink or paint wash or do you do a two stage priming, like a lighter over a darker primer sprayed down to show initial shadows?

Following closely

Colin
  7. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

8. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    GREAT start - you have your work cut out for you with the different leather & Animal furs!! Dave
  9. No Remorse Active Member

Thanks for all the compliments, this guy is really reigniting the passion I used to have for miniatures.

Heya Colin

I am using Vallejo model colours. I wanted to experiment with starting the model as a gray scale, this enabled me to lay down a rough idea where the highlights and shadows would be cast. I used to do two tone priming using an airbrush, but I found it never represented the gradients well. This way let me place the highlights and shades where I wanted them precisely. It has saved me a lot of time during the painting process. I started with Vallejo grey primer, followed up with VMC #91 for the shade and VMC #05 for the highlights.

Yes, yes, I do :p I am really interested in tackling the furs, I have never really done much furs besides a quick drybrush, so it should be interesting to see how they turn out.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good. Very nice figure. I will enjoy watching this one.
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This guy is looking mighty fine (y)! I've always liked this figure, good choice!

Joe
  12. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff. However, I’m not so sure that the cross-bracing on the braccae (trousers) is historically accurate and the sculptor has given this Gallic king a more primitive appearance, with the rough skins, than I think the nobility would really have worn. The Celts were very proud of their appearance and were pretty scrupulous about it if the Greeks and Romans are to be believed. To me, furs like these don’t fit the bill, really.

Although the furs and leather are difficult enough to paint the braccae could well have been plaid/tartan, which the Celts were very fond of, just to add to the difficulty of painting this figure! But good luck. This is a fine start.

Jeff
  13. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome back Jason, you've made a great start on this piece. I'll be following with interest (y)
  14. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jason,

This is looking really quite good,(y) It is beginning to come to life! I would not worry too much about the 'Cross-Bracing', as the sculpt could be based on the statue/monument at Alesia' . You can only paint what is presented to you. I will follow this work

vercingetorix.jpg . vercingetorix.jpg .

Regards,

Mark
    ChaosCossack and No Remorse like this.
  15. No Remorse Active Member

Thanks for all the encouragement guys :)

@Tonton, thanks for taking the time to explain the historical aspects of the sculpt and not to disrespect the people who are into historically accurate miniatures but I usually pick miniatures on the "feel" of the miniature more so that the subject matter, although, who knows, that may change with time as I get further into the historical side of miniatures.
    ChaosCossack and Tonton like this.
  16. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Bit of a bugger for accuracy, me.

Jeff
  17. No Remorse Active Member

Nothing wrong with that :)

I finally got a half decent photo area set up, not the greatest but it will do until I can build myself a new setup in the spring.

Here is the update for today, torso and left arm finished, I will probably give them another pass near the end of the mini to do some more embellishments like tattoos and deepening the tones in shaded areas.

[IMG]
    Jazz, Viking Bob, pgarri27 and 2 others like this.
  18. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work so far!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks good... great stern look on the face, very grim.
    Thanx for the "pre shading" technique
    Look forward to more progress on this guy

Colin
    No Remorse likes this.
  20. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I may have to get this figure. I like 18th and 19th century as a rule, but this figure has great character. I am enjoying watching you bring him alive.
    No Remorse likes this.