1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Useless probably

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by john crawford, May 22, 2017.

1. john crawford Active Member

As some of you will know I am trying to scource falklands war figures , and whilst I know , heads can be changed to depict different regiments, I thought I would just mention.....

all regiments wore putties , marines wore gaiters
    all cap badges were black during combat
    and scots guards were , as far as I know were the only reg to fix bayonets

I could add more , but you all probably know , hence me making a pratt of myself
    john
    Blind Pew, JonH and napoleonpeart like this.
  2. JonH Active Member

Pray do continue.
    No I mean it. Little tit-bits of information like this are very useful.
    (are you sure about the bayonets though?)
    Jon
  3. john crawford Active Member

While most modern armies, most notably the US Army have given up their bayonets for all but ceremonial functions and last performed a bayonet charge in 1951 during the Korean War. British forces have found that the tactic that scared the intestines out of American Rebels, Napoleon's Imperial Guard, German stormtroopers and assorted spear wavers and turbanned hordes is still effective. In recent history, "Mad Mitch" Mitchell of the Argyles cleared the Crater district of Aden, the Scots Guards took Mount Tumbledown in the Falklands at bayonet point against Argentine special force and marines, a hard pressed and totally outnumbered the British unit performed the last bayonet advance since Aden,

I know Jon , but we got commended on it , that's why I know
    OldTaff, Blind Pew and Inaki like this.
  4. JonH Active Member

Hi John.
    I don't doubt that the Scots Guards performed an heroic task with the bayonet but I thought 3 Para also had a go on Longden.
    Any information or snippets you can share are immensely interesting and useful. (When you say "we".....?)
    All the best.
    Jon
  5. john crawford Active Member

Jon
    we were as far as I know were the only btn to engage the enemy at close q b , and as far as my memory goes , I think 3 para fixed bayonets, but got stuck in a minefield , I have no doubt somebody will google it

on the morning of 14th June , there was only 7 out of a pltn on the summit of tumbledown, 1 wounded and no idea what was happening , all round defence for 2 hours , no radio contact as the a41 was bolloxed, , the rest is memories m8
    JonH likes this.
  6. JonH Active Member

John. On that morning I was quite possibly sitting down at an exam table doing an 'A' level. Different worlds!
    Jon
  7. john crawford Active Member

I wish I was Jon , not different worlds my friend , just different timescales,
    hope you passed them exams pal , lol
  8. JonH Active Member

P.S. Re. the figures.
    I have had a couple of 120mm figures of gurkha and Para soldiers but both seemed to have abnormally long necks under their smocks and equipment.I'd be interested in your views regarding Falklands war models.
    Jon
  9. john crawford Active Member

Jon , I would love to have a look , have you completed them ?
  10. JonH Active Member

Lost in the mists of time but if you have a look at The Imperial Gallery-RM radio operator-you'll see what I mean by the neck issue.
  11. john crawford Active Member

Yes Jon , not a big issue but I see what you mean , also no gaiters , as I said marines wore gaiters , this jolly has putties , also and I might be wrong
    that's not an A41 radio set , I don't know what it is ,
    apart from that its a lovely figure , and I might get it
  12. JonH Active Member

Yep. I certainly wouldn't knock the Imperial Gallery, they've got a lot of cracking figures.
  13. john crawford Active Member

No indeed , I think all the figures on IG are exceptional ,
  14. jimmyoc Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi John, regarding 3 Para, we fixed bayonets at the start line, I don’t know where you heard that we got stuck in a minefield, this is totally incorrect, we took one casualty to a mine strike, this initiated the battle, we immediately began to assault the mountain, bayonets were used liberally throughout the night, it was a very hard fought battle with no quarter given, resulting in 23 British dead and 48 wounded, Argentine casualties were 46 dead and over 100 wounded, and when you think that many of 3 Para were quite young, we had in our battalion 10 x 17-year-olds, and 42 x 18-year-olds, quite chilling when you look back on it, so John, don’t imagine you were the only one doing a bit, we were all there, knee deep in it with bayonets fixed.