1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP USAAF crew 1/32 so far

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Nov 27, 2013.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Greetings,
    This group of pilots is a failed commission ,realising now that my work is rough and needs alot of clean up.Metaphorically speaking I got an enema!.
    After some critique I took my self to the sculpting limit and it was,nt enough and too late.
    Hopefully from lessons learned I will apply myself in the future.
    Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

aknific, Mike S., yeo_64 and 4 others like this.
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    These are exactly the figures my local model club is looking for to include in a group project we are working on.
  3. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    They look great to me Andy - your erstwhile "client" doesn't realize what they've passed up. I've always wanted just such a set; I really like the battle ready/raggedy-assed look of American aircrew on ops. I particularly like the variety of heights - the shorter guy is clearly the ball turret gunner! Hopefully, you'll find a distributor for these - I'd definitely purchase a set, maybe even two!

Cheers,

Brian
    captnenglish likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    The use of character makes them far better than a lot of commercial product. The drapery and belting looks great as does the anatomy. Don't let one person's comments demotivate you. I did that a few years ago and almost left the hobby. Even if they have a point on some issues, take it constructively, improve and move on. But it's only one person's view.

Colin
  5. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks for the comments guys.This sculpt has been a watershed for me.It has changed my perspective of modelling in the real world for me.
    Get knocked down seven times ,get up eight as they say.
    Andy
    crf likes this.
  6. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    This display has so much character. I'm not interested so much in this particular historical period but the fact that the expression of the group is so strong, it makes me think twice.
    In my humble opinion it is a great composition. Simple and very, very strong and effective.
    Great job!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  7. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thankyou Zeno,,Colin and Brian,much appreciated.
    Andy
  8. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Andy my friend,

thats really cool work !! I Love it !!

Keep well,
    Markus
  9. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hallo Markus,
    Thanks,much appreciated.
    Alles Gute
    Andi
  10. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Jeez Andy, these look pretty damned good to me, can you bring to our next fig meet so we can all have a look.
    cheers Les
  11. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    I like the group, not my theme, but a good composition not often seen
  12. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Ulrich,
    Alles Gute
    Andi
  13. Tutilo17 PlanetFigure Supporter

Switzerland
    Me too, I like them. Drapery, stances, facial expressions .... as usual in your sculpts are very natural looking.

Stefan
  14. jositomanito Active Member

United-States
    Aviation is not for me, but, in my humble opinion
    it is an awesome scene plenty of life and character.
    Congratulations !!!
    PD: The only fault is...there isn´t a B-17 behind them !!!:p
  15. Funky50 Guest

I wouldn't beat myself up to much about this...they look very well done to me especially as they are 1/32 scale
  16. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Andy I love these guys! They have SOUL, something which is not necessarily present in even the most skilfully photo-realistic sculptures. As always you have represented real people here . Don't be dis-heartened. In my opinion you are one of the most artistic and sensitive sculptors working in our little world (pun intended)
    crf likes this.
  17. Pops Active Member

United-Kingdom
    A perfect match for the same scaled B17 I saw at Telford expo the other week. Some punters just don't know a good thing when they see it mate. You are bloody good at what you do and don't let anyone say otherwise. Vive La Revolution!:woot:
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Looks Awesome to me, Andy(y)(y)(y)!
    Since it's part of a so-called "failed commission", does that mean that it won't be released commercially (even if you made it a limited run item) :oops:?
    Nonetheless, an eye-catching piece of figure sculpting, my friend :D. Kudos and Cheers!
    Kenneth.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I guess if this was to be a commercial release they would have had to sell a lot of units to have it pay off. I always wonder when I see a whole set of figures meant to be a single scene being released how many units really sell. While sculpting commissions can also be done one off for individual collectors too, in today's economic environment and given the flood of figures entrering the market, it does not surprise me when a producer gets cold feet. But there does not seem to be any valid reason for failing to follow through re. these excellent pieces.

Colin
    Funky50 likes this.
  20. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Andy,

These figures are definitely a cut above others you have done in the past. They look more completely modeled and fully realized. And, as others have pointed out: your stuff always has a touch of life and character to them. I only wish mine did in the same way.....

BTW, for those suggesting these fellows as a B-17 crew, you need at least four more figures for that. The B-17 carried ten crew members.

Keep up the good work!

Mike
    Pops, captnenglish and Merryweather like this.