1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Undead Pirate

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Henk, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carrying on with a distinct nautical theme, I started this wonderful bust last night, and got a bit carried away..

20210823_181037.jpg 20210823_181105.jpg 20210823_181142.jpg 20210823_181157.jpg
  2. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Ooh, err! He needs a sandwich. Lovely work Henk.
    Yuriy likes this.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Peter.
  4. Yuriy Active Member

Hi Henk!
    Really cool,
    Yuriy.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Blimey you don't hang around ....great start ....you can see you are enjoying this benchtime

Following with interest

Happy painting

Nap
    Yuriy likes this.
  6. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

I like it ,nice painted

Mobo
  7. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys, it's still a work in progress, hopefully I get some time this week on the road to work on it. It's a brilliant sculpt, it's so much fun to paint. He reminds me a little bit of Achmed, the dead terrorist (Silence... I killl you..). The textures are superb,
    He comes with a tricorn hat, which is equally well sculpted and cast, but the bandana is so good, it's a pity to cover it with a hat... I think I need at least another one..
    Yuriy and Nap like this.
  8. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Anybody know a good excuse for 'another ' package arriving soon.... swmbo is getting suspicious of all the packages 'for next door's that 'accidentally' get dropped on my doorstep...
  9. Nap Moderator

England

I find if I say its Ben delivered for a mate for safe keeping.......that confuses SWMBO ...just long enough to sneak it past and hide it along with the others under the floorboards !!

Or .....just own up ....hospital food isn't that bad ....lol

Nap
    Yuriy and Henk like this.
  10. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  11. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Item for work!, as i have been working from home for almost 18months i can sometimes get away with saying its something from work, i have on occasion with big boxes, got the supplier to actually write the name of the company i work for on the box - sad i know . PLus my wife works in the community a few days a week, so try to time deliveries for then.
    Nap, Yuriy and Henk like this.
  12. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Devious.. I likes... :D
    Yuriy likes this.
  13. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I've tried that, but that only made her suspicious how many parcels my mate was 'safe keeping' for me....:wideyed:

Seriously though, I'm very lucky, she supports me in my addict...hobby, and only raise a wry eyebrow when another parcel arrives, and shakes her head.
    Nap and Yuriy like this.
  14. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Spooky, Henk. Very spooky... and very cool!
    Rick
    Yuriy and Henk like this.
  15. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A rubbish picture, but I've started on his tricorn hat. I've started with a base coat of Vallejo Medium Flesh (a great base colour for many effects, apart from flesh..:cool:), and will add layers of ink and Citadel washes, until I achieve the desired effect. If you are wondering (as I know you all are..) why his mouth is open, the kit comes with a dagger, and the figure holds it 20210828_200227.jpg between the teeth, Errol Flynn stylee... I'm not yet sure if I'm going to add the dagger, it's too Early 20th century Hollywood for me.
    Peter Day and Yuriy like this.
  16. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Thanks Rick. Spooky.. that gives me another idea , where did I put that 'glow in the dark ' paint? (Anybody remember the Airfix skeleton kit?)
    Yuriy likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

He is looking good ...are you stippling the tricorn ?

I think he looks better without the dagger ...agree bit too Hollywood

Look forward to more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  18. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Kev. I use a mix of techniques, in this instance I start with a light base of Medium Flesh, and use thin washes of Brown Ink to gradually darken the hat. I work the ink while its wet, pooling in shadow areas, and dabbing it to get a blotchy appearance. A bit like stippling, but with wet paint. I will stipple his overcoat, to add some wear.
    Nap likes this.
  19. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A short weekend, so just a little progress, but it's all coming together nicely (even if I say so myself :p).
    Next weekend the last touches and a base.

20210831_115552.jpg 20210831_115609.jpg 20210831_115644.jpg 20210831_115711.jpg 20210831_115754.jpg
    Peter Day and Nap like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

You certainly seem to be enjoying this piece , looking at him personally I would tone down the Red around eyes ...but hats me

Like the tricorne effects and the leatherwork

Look forward to seeing more when you can

Happy benchtime and drive safely

Nap