WIP Critique Trying high contrast painting

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jay-BFG, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jay-BFG Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys,

I have tried in the past to do high contrast painting and always end up blending it out again.
    So I thought I'd try it on a smaller scale.
    This is an old Verlinden set "Battle for Arenham" in 1/35
    The first figure is moulded into the base, so started with him.
    Now the camo maybe (and probably is) incorrect, but I'm not bothered about that.
    He's not 100% finished (still got flesh to finish) but am I on the right track, too little or too much ?
    IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0701.JPG
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Jay, in my view the contrast on the figure is not very high. There seems to be a sheen on the figure which may make it jard to see, but I do not actually see much contrast on e.g. the pants.
    You certainly painted high contrast on the rubble however.

By the way, this may not really be the right figure to try the high contrast style, because it is lying flat on its back which makes it hard to paint zenithal lighting, if you know what I mean.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  3. Jay-BFG Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Adrian for the response.

I did wonder what you meant at first until I saw my pics on the big computer screen rather than the ipdad, OMG it doesn't show up at all in the photos.

I've Dullcoted it and added a few more highlights. I'll take some more pics later
  4. Jay-BFG Active Member

United-Kingdom
    More pics, not sure this high contrast is my thing.

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Ah, I see now. Looks OK to me and consistent with the rubble, but like I said, this is perhaps not the best figure to try out the high contrast technique. Better to try on a standing figure with lots of drapery.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  6. Jay-BFG Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Adrian,
    I've got three Paras to go on it, two of which are standing, so I'll keep at it for now.