1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Trumpeter, French Grenadiers a Cheval

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

After an enforced absence from the bench due to a house move finally getting back to work with the paint and brushes trying to make a dent in the grey army. This is my attempt at CGS's Grenadier a cheval trumpeter. This is my first CGS figure and I have been impressed with the quality of the sculpt/casting and the ease with which things have gone together so far.

I've used oils over enamels and you'll probably notice the blue of the jacket is still a little shiny-I initially tried a colour combo for the jacket which I wasn't entirely happy with and as a result I've just re done it using a mix I found by searching on the site ( mix courtesy of Mental Dental). Hopefully the sheen will start to fade as the oils dry. There's still a lot to do but enjoying being back in the "saddle" so to speak. IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2043.JPG
  2. Huw63 A Fixture

A great start on a marvellous figure.

Cheers

Huw
    CGS military figures likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking good, one that I must do too. Looking forward to more.
  4. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks Huw.
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Bob. It's a great figure to work on and I'm sure you'd enjoy it as much as I am.
  6. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Great start to a marvelous figure. What colors did you use for the blues and the deep red as well?
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks clrsgt. The blue was a mix of cobalt blue, indigo, titanium white and raw umber and the crimson facings were a mix of alizarin crimson and brown madder highlighted with Naples yellow. The blue mix was copied from an old post I found on here from Mental Dental who had tackled a different version of this regiment.
  8. mick3272 A Fixture

This is coming together a treat.
    nice and neat.
    Mick
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Mick, much appreciated.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking really good.

Marc
  11. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Wonderful start, looking forward to seeing more! (y)
    Phil
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Marc, much appreciated.
  13. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks Phil.
  14. Cannonball A Fixture

Moved on a little further with this. Boots still a little shiny. The blue has dulled down quite a bit from my original post. I've made a start on the trumpet and banner and the sword and need to add the crimson/red to the aiguillettes so hopefully nearing the finishing line. IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2052.JPG
    KenBoyle, Chrisr and Tommi like this.
  15. Wow, that is some very impressive and very neat painting, just my style :) thank you for posting and lovely work.
    My best wishes
    Gra
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks Gra, really glad you like how it's progressing.
  17. Cannonball A Fixture

UPDATE- Nearly finished this super figure, just the trumpet cords and tassels to do and then finish the cobblestones before finding a suitable base to mount it on. I've really enjoyed this one. IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2058.JPG IMG_2059.JPG IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2058.JPG IMG_2059.JPG
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    That's really neat clean painting there ...A good subject and no doubt casting from CGS

I only paint busts but I would make the sword knot more noticable against the gloves ...slightly different whites and line in the edges

Nap
    Chrisr likes this.
  19. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks for the comments Nap. I think I will re-visit the sword knot as you say and try to make it stand out more. Thanks for looking.
  20. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Neal.
    Great job all around You should be well pleased.
    Its already been said, Very neat.
    Mick