1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Trouble using brushes with acrylics

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Banshee1000, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Banshee1000 New Member

United-States
    Hi Everyone.

I've been using oils and would like to try acrylics. I have Vallejo, but I keep running into the problem of how hard they are on my brush. They will cause the point to splay or fishhook. Am I using them incorrectly? Would you recommend a different acrylic brand?

Thank you!
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    My first thought is if you are thinning the paint enough.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

I only use Vallejo, not had any trouble as yet touch wood keep it nice and thin an ensure you was the brush out with warm water and washing up liquid.
    Mick
    Wings5797 likes this.
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Greetings Banchee: Are your brushes Pure Kolinsky
    Red Sable or are they synthetic?

Jayhawker
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Obvious thing to ask is are you using your best brushes to mix the paint with? (Not that I do it myself, but I'd recommend using an old one to mix with - generally splaying is caused by paint drying on the root of the bristles; if you pick up mixed paint with a clean brush it's easier to avoid this)

Other suggestion would be to wash in water, then as Mick suggest use washing up liquid to clean carefully - I've started using 'Masters brush cleaner' (As recommended by Nap) at the end of each painting session, which works very well IMO

Cheers
    Paul
  6. Banshee1000 New Member

United-States
    Hello Paul and Jayhawker.

I should have written them names down before I left home, but I believe they are Floquil and Pactra Red Sable.

Thank you!

Alan
  7. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    as still being new to this i would ask what the brush was used to prior to this happening . and was it cleaned good enough just my thoughts
  8. Banshee1000 New Member

United-States
    Hello Samson.

Thanks for your note. I've heard that acrylics are hard on brushes, so I've been using some dedicated brushes just for the acrylics. I use brush cleaner as well.

I tried it last night with careful thinning and didn't seem to have a problem. Perhaps that was the reason. I thank everyone for their help!
  9. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I keep a mix of clean water and rubbing alcohol at hand and rinse my brushes during the painting process. I do this quite often while painting. Every 10 minutes or so. It has worked for me and keeps the paint flowing from the brush. I clean my brushes with Soap after every session. I usually use brushes from Broken Toad and Windsor Newton Series 7's.

Hope this helps.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I do that as well glad you sorted it out.
  11. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    I have used both of those brands... they don't work well with any paint I am afraid.. Windsor Newton Series 7 is the way to go. I also have tried Raphael and Da Vinci- they don't last as long as W&N though.
    Matt
  12. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Just clean the brush every few minutes. You'll remove the small dry paint particles near the ferrule and they will look as new as when you started your painting session.
    Sometimes I clean the tip of the brush every 5 minutes just to give you an idea.
    I only use water to clean then, at the end of a painting session, soap and water.
  13. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    This turned into a good thread lots of good info and opinions .