1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

TOY 4X4 cossack online course thread

Discussion in 'Workshop with Fer' started by Fernando Ruiz, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Terry's thread.
    Regards
    FeR
  2. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Still awaiting the figure to arrive. Just letting you know I'm still here. There was a massive snowstorm over much of the US so I expect even further delay on mail delivery.

I will edit this post with real info when I get the figure. I am watching the main thread and picking out a base. I will prep that now.
  3. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hope it arrives soon, Terry.ç
    Regards
    FeR
  4. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    I have him put together and primed. There was a scratch on his chest on HIS left side near the shoulder and I have filled that with some putty.

Also because I'm stoopid, I snapped his right foot off while I was doing something stoopid with the post I put in that foot. I cut the post down and used it to pin the foot back on. It was a rather clean break so just a little putty and I can't tell where it was.

I will begin painting this weekend as I am expecting an Optivisor tomorrow because my older eyes are having problems with small figures. I have a few other figures I am working on with a pair of reading glasses and a magnifying lamp and I keep hitting the lamp with the brush.

I want to clean up some stuff when I get the visor. The left sleeve/shoulder, back of the right hand where I put putty after gluing and back of the boot where I put putty need cleaned up. It's amazing the detail you see when you get a good picture. I need to heat up the flail and get it down on the shoulder.

Attached Files:

5. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    nice work on the repairs.
  6. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    You can't tell where the foot broke. Nice repair work, mate. Hoping to see more soon ;)
    FeR
  7. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    First attempt at shading.

I was happier until I tried to "blend", "Juice", or whatever. Maybe the paint was still too think. I put on a juice and then had to scrabble to brush it back off. Maybe it was too much on the brush I guess it just washed everything. I kind of also had to rework the chest as I lost the shading.

Let me know what you think and if I need to try it again I have no problem with that as I think I learned a lot.. How do you strip it and start over anyway..

Attached Files:

Andrew Craft likes this.
  8. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Mmm... I don't think you have to try again. Don't know how you did it, but the results are OK. Now, you just have to add more intense highlights and some shades.
    Nice work
    FeR
  9. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Will do and the post in your thread on the highlights is excellent.

One thing I had problems with when painting is the paints kept "seperating". I continually had to mix the paints. Is this normal?

I would do this differently next time if I started all over. I would mix a large amo0unt of base color in a jar and then move some to my wet pallet and mix in the different colors for highlights and shading. I was using too little mixtures of paint for the different highlights and shading and I'm sure that the amount of paint versus the mixing was causing some color differences. Of course that might be OK when you thing of the subtle differences in shades/highlights.
  10. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Sometimes is normal, yes. You get used to some weird acting by the paints.

The other thing you say is a good idea and a sign that the course is going well. Even if you don't get the same results as my version, the process is always valuable to understand a lot of things that, in the long run, will improve your level a lot ;)

Keep up the good work!
    FeR
  11. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Did some more highlighting and blending.

I think the chest is too light and I need to put a darker "juice" over it?

I might put some even lighter intense highlights as you pointed out in your main thread. I am heading to a local art supply store again tomorrow to get some smaller brushes. I'm mainly working with a 10/0 brush. I don't think I can get the eyes ans smaller intense highlights with this brush.

Attached Files:

12. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Ok, I am calling my figure "Steve".

Steve just went into the "paint stripper"....

I am blending by trying to recreate the base color...

I will do it again with creating a lot of base color so I can make it through the whole first part of the course. I also picked up the Tamiya Matte finish paint and had planned to mix that in with the paint. I forgot that part too.
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    That is hilarious! I name a lot of figures Steve. I have Angry steve, angrier Steve & Steve the Bruce..to name a few.

Keep at it, it's not too bad at all..
    toy4x4 likes this.
  14. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Alright,

Stripped and ready to go for round 2!
  15. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Wow!
    Quite a radical decission, but sometimes it's the best thing to do. I think that you will do it much better the second time.
    FeR
  16. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Going to work on him a little more tomorrow and repost.
  17. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Steve The Playboy Part Tres

Obviously he looks better without the closeup and my lighting sucks. I'm happier that before. I did a little "blending" with further watered down colors but still have a ways to go to get the hang of that.

I will apply further extreme highlights tomorrow when my very small brush gets here (30/0 and 40/0). I can't seem to get a small line with the 15/0 brush I'm using... I will also do the eyes and start on the mustache (hence playboy) and hair.

Attached Files:

18. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Don't forget to add some extreme shadows as well. ;)
    Good work!
    Regards
    FeR
  19. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Ok, picked up some bigger brushes today. Going to go play on a CD/DVD with primer on it to get used to them. They are nice Sable brushes that will get me by until my really good W&N Kolinsky, Da Vinci Kolinsky and another brand I forget arrive for comparison.
  20. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    And my current progress. I worked on the hair with two shades of highlights on the base color and a little more blending.

The right cheek shows the trouble I've had with putting on drops of water on versus actual thin payers of paint. I'm got to work on that circle.

I am moving on to the shirt at this point to give my self even more experience on blending and the proper thinness and application of the blending layers before I go back to the face. I also need practice on the eyes, but maybe with the nice W&N Series 7 brushes I got last night, I can get even smaller "pupils". He does look good when not looked as closely with the camera :)

Base coat down on the shirt now. I will start highlights tonight.

Attached Files: