1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Tommy's War Pvt 1st Lincolnshire Mons

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This is basically done except for the base and label, which I will do later on the computer. I will do standard labels for all my TW 54mm's.

Painted in oils, basework is scratch from sculpey.

Colin Image2.jpg
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    And a few more photos...note the spent cartridges on the ground.

Colin

Attached Files:

NickM, Tommi, tiberius57 and 2 others like this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Like it the spent brass is a nice touch (y)
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work, all around.
    One remark if I may: The color of the stones on the wall is very equaal. You should make it more interesting with some darker and lighter stone's. The wall is boring.

Marc
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Marc, I'm glad you actually offered a criticism and I agree. I was going for a brick wall look rather than a stone wall but I don't think I really pulled it off too well. I put that down to doing the basework too quickly. As I noted in the WIP post, I sculpted it in 20 minutes and I didn't put enough time into it. That's why the same colour though.

Colin
  6. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Colin - that is absolutly cool !

I like it very much !

Cheers

Hendryk
  7. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Fantastic work Colin. Could you share your paint mix for the uniform? I've been tempted to purchase some TW's but haven't seen anything besides the boxart to date. This post helps me alot.

Thanks
    Gary
  8. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great work Colin, I've really enjoyed seeing this come together.

Gary, I've been working on uniform references and figures TW54011 and TW54012 will come with colour illustrations when they are released at Euro Militaire next month. Over the next few months I will retrospectively go back through the whole range.

Kind regards

Darren
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,
    Great job and this really shows how nice the figure range is. I am also with Marc on the wall. Should be easy to correct.
    Cheers
    John
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    It came together very, very well!!! (y) I love it.
    Few touches on that wall will fix the issue. No big deal.
    Looking forward to see the other figures coming "alive", Colin!!!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks all. I agree on the wall although it may look more fake in the photos than the actual due to the bad photography - I used a standard DSLR wihtout macro. I'm not sure I will tackle fixing it now as I know if I do I will lose momentum on my next project. Perhaps I will just chalk it up to learning.

Gary - I used my own derivation of khaki - on my last one I used David Lane's posted in response to his far superior painting of this same figure. I liked it but had trouble recreating the nice effect I got on the 1st Middlesex figure so I started over.

Primer - Citadel spary white
    First acrylic undercoat - Liquitex pro raw sienna *
    First oil coat - rembrandt sepia
    Khaki mix - rembrandt sepia + Williamsburg mars yellow + WN ivory white
    After drying I glazed with raw sienna to reduce green and increase the yellow brown cast in WWI Brit khaki - doesn't show in the photos.
    Webbing - sepia + Kama buff titanium + a tiny bit of WN cad yellow
    Puttees - sepia + kama buff titanium
    flesh - mars orange + cad yellow + cad red + ivory white with shadows in brown madder alizarin (an old Phil Kessling mix for another forum predating this one).
    Sprayed with Testors dull coat.

* I won't undercoat in so light a colour for a WWI figure again - next time I will use something like Vallejo English uniform.

The cartridge brass is from a piece of plastruct plastic rod - .020" Cat MR-20.

Darren - your figures are wonderful and I can't recommend them enough. And, as discussed I will be looking for those 1st Canadian Division troops at 2nd Ypres fighting with jammed Ross rifles and wearing urine-soaked handerkerchiefs over their faces to deal with history's first large scae gas attack.

Can I ask if you are considering adding any personality figures to the range?

Thanks

Colin
  12. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Colin!!! Although I'm primarily a WN man, I'll adapt.(y)

Gary
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I'm still using a lot of my grandmother's oils and she passed in the 80's. Let an acrylic painter say that! :rolleyes:

Colin
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Fantastic work all round on this piece!
    If I can throw in my 2 cents on the brick wall... the uniform colour isn't the issue so much as they're too clean. Maybe some more weathering, lighter drybrushing on the corners and some streaky brown and green washes. Maybe a light grey in the mortar joints
    Beyond that, this is truely a piece to be proud of!

Colin