1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Tommy’s War Sniper

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nos76, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nos76 Active Member

Well here goes....I am a first time figure painter and I am ready to throw myself to the Wolves! It is a limited edition club member Tommy’s War 1918 Western Front Sniper. It is all done with acrylics so far. I didn’t know where to start so I started with the most obvious his trench coat.

Thanks for looking

Nos

C12F59F7-783A-4F29-9F0C-3767C11E8DD8.jpeg
    446B6D9E-90EF-47C7-A27C-8B1B2E78F3B1.jpeg
    Perseas, RDG Miniatures, Oda and 23 others like this.
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good so far - I like the battered colour effect :)

Paul
    Perseas, Nos76 and anstontyke like this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good , great start on the colours.
  4. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    I like the worn effect, looks good!
  5. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Are you sure this is your first???;) Great start, mate(y)
  6. Cannonball A Fixture

Great start on what looks to be another super figure from Tommys War.
  7. Nos76 Active Member

Thanks guys....I am sure it is my first ever figure! Have always been an Armour and Auto guy, just finished my Whippet and still had the bug for The Great War. Will be going on with the hessian leg wraps next keep you all posted

Nos
    Perseas, MacCoy and anstontyke like this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Great start on the trench coat; looks well worn.
  9. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great start. will be following your thread as i have the same figure in the stash.

tony
    Perseas, Oda and Nos76 like this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    amazing work so far.

Marc
    Nos76 and anstontyke like this.
  11. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for sharing your work. I too think you did a nice job on the leather work on the trench coat! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the leg wraps!

Best of Everything, Terry Martin-member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
    Nos76 and anstontyke like this.
  12. Nos76 Active Member

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement. I managed to sneak in some more bench time as we all know life can get in the way. So I managed to get the hessian leg wraps and boots done.I am not completely convinced on the end result of the boots,but I am not too concerned as the figure will end up with mud on his boots.I do have some questions though...I am chasing that fine blend in and I am looking into oils can I use oils over acrylics? If so what clearcoat? As I have heard some varnish products can take the depth of the the work away.

Ohh and forgive my photo sharing still learning how to do that as well

AC0A87E0-3377-47DB-9FFC-BE4F23B8CAFB.jpeg 96E74969-B3AB-4E0E-B969-12CB648B48DE.jpeg 8900E469-55C6-4A60-9E9C-35F1C7282834.jpeg
    Perseas, Oda, KenBoyle and 8 others like this.
  13. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Nice work so far. It is a very good good sculpture, I have to say, and I am interested in the result. I'll watch ...

Cheers Borek ;)
    Perseas, Oda, Nos76 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Nos
    Neat to see this little guy painted as first time I've seen someone work on him.
    Ref oils - they go straight over acrylics, no need to clear coat.
    Enjoying your photos & learning.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Mike
    Perseas, anstontyke and Nos76 like this.
  15. Huw63 A Fixture

Looks marvellous. Its the first time I've seen the guy painted too.

Cheers

Huw
    Perseas and anstontyke like this.
  16. Nos76 Active Member

Been a little slow as work has been getting in the way...but I managed to get the personal equipment done! I have also been working on the vignette base stained and bees waxed and the tree shaped from wire and DAS Modelling Clay. A serious of wood tones painted to the tree. I wanted to give the tree a battle damaged look. I hope it look realistic enough

Cheers for looking

Nos

226ABB4A-4D6A-4A70-B5A4-4C21792066E9.jpeg 09950FCA-6ABD-4EAA-8019-F3D2C4B403B2.jpeg 8C8C8B60-F052-43C2-8B8B-740BE7447CEB.jpeg 565AD9FC-940A-45EE-BF58-8225FE2D730B.jpeg DB60C920-A86E-432B-82FC-3B27CCB1B6E5.jpeg
  17. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    That is definitely a great start !
    regarding your question : yes you can use oils over acrylics, but you can easily blend your colors by using acrylic glazes, it is quite easy to apply, dries very quick and allows for a nice control in the level of blending you want for final.
    and in the end it will keep the dullness of the acrylic paints :)
    Perseas, gforceman and anstontyke like this.
  18. Nos76 Active Member

Well coming close to the end just the groundwork to do...a little disappointed with the eyes...but that is to be excepted for my first figure.

Thanks for looking

C8F5B0BC-176C-4E91-AD86-4933FC3C1302.jpeg 9C7C6E8C-7D43-4852-9067-D3CE3F00C256.jpeg EFAD284F-5BDF-4D12-919D-4020F6FA64B7.jpeg 19969FF9-C113-4B7B-B7F8-F84F43083EDB.jpeg
  19. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I wish my first figure had been that good. Not sure lve done anything better than that since to be honest. Great start well done.

Keith
    Perseas, anstontyke and Huw63 like this.
  20. Nos76 Active Member

Thanks heaps Keith....I am really loving this figure painting as I have always been an Armour and Auto guy.
    Perseas and anstontyke like this.