1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

To repaint or not

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by swralph, Jan 26, 2017.

?

should I repaint this bust.

yes 8 vote(s) 50.0%
No 8 vote(s) 50.0%
  1. swralph A Fixture

Hello my Friends.
    I was thinking about old kits I had painted when I first started painting figures.
    This was stuck away on top of a cabinet and forgotten about so I hunted it out.
    This is a one off figure that Alan Ball sculpted for me of Rear Admiral Sandy Woodward.I did this about 25 years ago and was wondering if I should repaint it or not?
    Let me know what you think.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
    DSCF4325.JPG DSCF4328.JPG DSCF4331.JPG

Attached Files:

napoleonpeart and Mike Stevens like this.
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Ralph if you redo it you will most likely regret it.:sour: I say this because I messed with a model, my very first model, and jacked it up.:mad: To this day I regret it.:grumpy: Funny how we get attached to inanimate objects.

What I would do is carefully clean it and put it in your cabinet. It too deserves its place of honor among your recent works. :)

Joe
    stoffy01 and swralph like this.
  3. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for your input Joe:).
    I'm still sat on the fence at the moment.
    Joe55 likes this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

Ralph,
    Leave it it shows a history of your progression through the hobby
    I have some right mingger's but it shows how I have progressed
    Mick
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ill play Devil's Advocate and say yes, go for it! Money has always been tight for me so a strip and repaint was (is?!) a way of life. Nothing is that precious that it can't be improved on. If you stuff it up, start again.

Just my take on things(y)
  6. swralph A Fixture

I know what you mean Mick:).
  7. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for that Steve:).
    I have no interest in stripping any of my other ancient kits,just this one, as it is a one of a kind.
    valiant likes this.
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Maybe as a one off then, you feel you could do it more justice now? I still say, go for it!
    Perhaps in time for our show in March?(y)
    swralph likes this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

Now that is a challenge for me Steve.
    I know I can do it more justice and that is why I'm thinking of re painting it.
    valiant likes this.
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I appreciate those who point out that you can look at your earlier works and see how you have progressed in skill. I don't revisit earlier pieces of mine, myself. But I agree with Steve, in that, if you think you can do a better job today, then, why not?

Prost!
    Brad
    swralph and valiant like this.
  11. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    Go for the re-paint ............The bust means something to you
    and you have the will to paint it to your current standard.
    Look forward to seeing the result

Frank
    swralph likes this.
  12. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I like to leave my older models alone. that way I can compare improvement over time.
    swralph likes this.
  13. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Like most responses here, I voted "No". Personally, I do not repaint any of my older figure builds as I too enjoy seeing how I have progressed as a painter over the years.
    swralph likes this.
  14. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for all the responses Guys.
    I can see both sides of what you are all saying and appreciate your thoughts.:)
    I'll have a think about it for a week or so and see where I go from there.
    valiant likes this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I voted no Ralph......I like the aged look........But dust the damn thing will ya?...:)

Wayne
    swralph and Blind Pew like this.
  16. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Just my opinion but i would not . Haven't posted anything I've completed on here because i keep thinking it will get better that's a dangerous trap LOL . Let it be so i can see a difference when i get better. So my wife keeps telling me .
    swralph likes this.
  17. Ferris A Fixture

I'd say yes as an exception....if this is a one-off that was especially made for you it deserves to be painted twice.
    Besides, it is so dusty now that you'll likely damage it during cleaning.

Original paint looks pretty sharp by the way, but you can get a more realistic result with your current skills.

Cheers
    Adrian
    swralph likes this.
  18. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Why don't you try cleaning it first and see the results? If you like it, stop there. If not, proceed to strip off the paint and redo it.

I have actually been redoing many of my older pieces, sometimes with a tinge of regret. But with much better skills nowadays when compared to 20 years back, most of my redux pieces look much better than in its original state. You would probably want to ensure that the sculpting material used can take any cleaning fluid you use.

Rgds Victor
    swralph likes this.
  19. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Please, knock the dust off whatever you do!

And if you do end up doing a re-do....... we'll want to see it! Side by side so your changing painting can be seen
    swralph likes this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ralph

What I would do is ,,,,

Rake some pictures so you have a record of your previous work and then strip ( the bust..not you ..lol ) and repaint it ...lots of medal ribbons as well .....

A Alan Ball one off sculpt as well ..lucky you ......your skill is so much better so I reckon it deserves a repaint ...less the dust ..lol

Tough decision as lots of good points raised on this question

Happy painting ..whatever you do

Nap
    swralph likes this.