1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

This is Me!!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jazz, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Hi fellow planeteers,

Well, this has got to be the most vain piece I've ever made. Because it's me!!

Cimg6362.jpg

17. Despatch rider. Hanover 1984 - Copy.jpg 26. john scott (2).jpg
    Thirty years ago whilst in Germany I was a despatch rider for Postal & Courier, Royal Engineers.
    It was a role that I really enjoyed and I took part in Exercise Lionheart, one of the largest military exercises that ever took place in Europe.

17. Despatch rider. Hanover 1984.jpg
    Here is me on my old Army BSA in Hanover 1985.

I got the idea when I bought some spare heads from Mitches Models at a show recently. I noticed that one of the heads, that of the German WW2 pilot Hans Ulrich Rudel, resembled me quite a lot when I was younger. I saw the possibility in converting this into myself as a despatch rider. Now I know it is not too modest but my motto is "Go for it" so I did.

I have used an old bust body to attach the head to after first removing some of the neck. Then I have used milliput to create the shoulder epaulettes, pockets, and camscarf. I really liked the original helmet which has loads of detail but as I had never worn one of these I converted it to a motorcycle helmet but kept the goggles as I would have used those. Now it is just a case of cleaning it up a bit then painting. Watch this space.

This is how the original head looked.
    Cimg6360.jpg

All comments welcome as always.
    Jazz.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I think the bust is better looking, You have done well to convert this to your likeness. Looking good. (y)
    (my father was REs during the last war, 141 railway squadron).
    Regards
    Bob
    Jazz likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Wow! That is quite a resemblance. Definitely go for it, looking good already and looking forward to seeing further progress.
    Jazz likes this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work, Jazz! Like the others have said, spooky resemblance!! Looking forward to seeing it develop,(y)
    Jazz likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    There's also the option of doing yourself as a Luftwaffe pilot!! :D
    Jazz likes this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

That's great work.
    Jazz likes this.
  7. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the comments guys. I think I will work a bit more on the cam scarf before getting out the paint. Viking Bob, I agree, the bust does look better, less spots. Billyturnip, me in the Luftwaffe? Britain would have won a lot sooner my friend if that was the case!
  8. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Very impressive.

Malc
    Jazz likes this.
  9. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello John: Hey, Wyatt Earp would even been interested in
    this project. I really like what you've done so far. And with
    Milliput? Wow, I've never had much success with that product.
    And I don't care for it's shelf life. Perhaps I wasn't doing it right.
    But back to your likness in scale. Have fun! I will be eager to
    see this develop, my friend,

Rick
    Jazz likes this.
  10. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Talk about vanity:rolleyes::rolleyes::). Mind you, he also looks like that bloke on the Warner Hotel Breaks adverts :LOL:. More hair I'm guessing:whistle:.
    Regards, Gary.
    Jazz likes this.
  11. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    very good. I was on crusader 80 in Germany, that was a very big exercise./badger
    Jazz likes this.
  12. Mark S Guest

Nice idea,Jazz,... looks good.
    Should look great painted up....well done.

Gives me an idea to convert a spare head into a bust of myself......

george clooney2.jpg
    Jamie Stokes, Richie, Jazz and 3 others like this.
  13. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work
    Gordon
    Jazz likes this.
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea.
    Commercial product? You could be our next millionaire:cool:
    cheers
    John
    Jazz likes this.
  15. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks fellas. Rick, I use milliput a lot. It's the easiest putty for me to find here. I haven't had much problem with the shelf life. Gary, cheeky. I had hair in those days but it's all covered up with a helmet. Badger, that was just before my time. I joined in 83, those exercises were fun weren't they? Mark, that's a crackin bust of you. Spitting image I bet. It reminds me of someone I've seen on tv. Now who was it? Hmmmm. John, I think this will be a one off, just like me. You don't want too many of these out there. Could put people off modelling for life!
    garyhiggins likes this.
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's a nice piece of work Jazz,I love the old photo's :)
    Jazz likes this.
  17. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That was a nice bit of serendipity Jazz.
    You conversion work is very impressive.
    Looking forward to seeing this in full colour.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Jazz likes this.
  18. Jazz A Fixture

England
    045.jpg

Well, I seem to be coming along. I reworked the cam scarf and added some straps out of lead sheeting and I've now painted the face, helmet and goggles. I've made a base and attached the bust to it. I'm very pleased with how this is turning out so far and my wife says that it does look like me. That was my biggest fear, that once I started to lay paint on there would be no likeness. Next it is the DPM camouflage, paint up the helmet straps and finish off the base and nameplate. Wish me luck.
    garyhiggins likes this.
  19. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Coming on nicely john, I look at this and I look at the original photos and it is a dead ringer (y)(y).
    Regards, Gary.
    Jazz likes this.
  20. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It's looking good John, can't wait for the finish.
    Bob
    Jazz likes this.