1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Thefts from Model shows

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by valiant, Nov 16, 2017.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys,

Just want to make people aware that there seems to have been a spate of thefts from traders and exhibitors at some recent UK shows, especially SMW at Telford, last weekend.

Someone had a model taken from the competition area, traders have reported items stolen from their stands and we at Stoke on Trent MC had a box of member's models taken at break down time late on Sunday.

Please can everyone be vigilant at shows, as I'm sure that this is something none of us want to happen.

Steve(y)
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    I'm not shocked, but still sad to hear that
    Steve
    1969, valiant and winfield like this.
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sadly this has been happening for years at shows, something all traders/exhibitors need to look out for.
    valiant and Helm like this.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    More than likely the same kind of people who see nothing wrong in buying recasts. :mad:
    Blind Pew, valiant, Jeff T and 2 others like this.
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    Sounds like what's needed is a mast hammer/finger interface system
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Words fail me ..disgusting scum .

Traders have also had items stolen as well at what was the old Euro show

Something beyond belief and we all need to be aware of this at any show .

Helm .......agree totally mate

Nap
    valiant likes this.
  7. custer760 Well-Known Member

I work on the trade stand of Frank Miniatures and must say theft happens at just about every Show we attend.Euro Militaire was always quite a nightmare as the tablespace plus travel expenses from Germany were very High,and then on top you have a couple of hundred euros loss on stolen kits.Would love to catch someone doing it,I would probably break their Fingers.
    If you dont have any money left to spend,just Speak with Frank,he will always put a kit away for you until you have the finances,there is no need to steal!!!
    Regards
    Pete
    Babelfish, Blind Pew and valiant like this.
  8. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    This is something that has always been of concern for me at shows, it's too easy to leave your display of finished models unguarded for a short while, whilst looking at other displays & talking to friends etc
    Reckon I'll break more than somebody's fingers if I ever catch anybody stealing models from me or mates at a show...I'd probably end up in a Police cell for the night:mad:!
    Jim

P.S. Think I'll bring my baseball bat along with me to Bugle Call next weekend!..:blackeye:
    Blind Pew and valiant like this.
  9. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    When I used to do shows you have to be vigilante. I caught somebody making off with something once. I just followed him, snatched the model back and glared at him and he left the building. Quite surreal. No words spoken.

Andrew.
    Blind Pew and valiant like this.
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glad to say that the member's models that went missing were accidentally picked up by another club. Easily done, I suppose, as we all seem to use Really Useful Boxes these days. Suffice to say, we have one very relieved club up here and thanks to the club who got in touch to tell us what had happened!

Alls well that ends well for us, but the search still goes on for the comp entry that was taken and there is scant comfort for the traders who had stock stolen.(y)
    Blind Pew, Martin64, Helm and 2 others like this.
  11. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Having worked a show stand over the past few years I am often amazed at how often traders will grab every inch of space regardless of how they are going to police it. If you have a large stand then you need enough people to guard the stock, thieves will always take advantage if you give them the opportunity. I have often said to friends I wonder how much stock goes missing at IPMS Telford?. Huge stands often with only two people serving and punters wandering around looking for someone to pay, I've been in the position myself walking around with a couple of cans maybe, looking for someone to pay and thinking to myself "I hope no-one thinks I'm trying to nick these" sometimes traders only have themselves to blame. (Maybe the takings are so high they just write off the lost stock.)

As an ex antique dealer I can recall having two £400 vases stolen at the NEC. It was my own fault, in those days I had open shelves, it was near the end of the show and we were all sitting around chatting and waiting for the end. A guy in an overcoat was looking at my stock and eventually walked away-when I packed up I noticed the pair of vases had gone missing.

If you don't police your stock then you must accept the risk. I'm also amazed at how slack the collection of competition entries is at most shows.

There are thieves everywhere.

Keith
    Blind Pew and Helm like this.
  12. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good points, Keith - Ive wandered around myself waiting to pay thinking exactly the same! With the low cost of dashcam type cameras, I wonder how long it will be before we see them on stalls?

I think also, that the system of checking in and out of models in some comps is a little slack and maybe there are some changes that could be made to prevent this form happening..?(y)
    Helm likes this.
  13. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    its sad that you are in a friendly environment at a model show,and trust people not to steal or damage your models,i was at the Glasgow modelfest and at the end ,someone had taken away the plastic box/container left by a modeller under the competition tables. apart from that I enjoyed the show and will return next year./badger
    valiant likes this.
  14. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Whereever you have a market / event with plenty of customers / visitors laden with bags and their purses pushing their way through narrow lanes it is the perfect environment for theft from traders or even visitors. Nothing new - it happened since mankind started this. We are now going to have the Christmas markets and the winter season with early dark hours - a lot of work to do for me and my colleagues - not as thieves but as part of the Police Force:).
    IMHO no reason to look at it like "what has become of our hobby" but just the normal problems of life to deal with.
    Glad to know that the "stolen" models were returned.
  15. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    It is my belief that most of this thefts are made by more anonymus visitors? Think of the stigma for a person to be caught.
    You would surely lose a large part of your friends, be a paria at shows and not be able to enjoy the hobby in the same way as before.

I used to make a living selling t-shirt, jewellry etc at markets and fairgrounds where this problem is more common. Especially when it gets dark and people get drunk.
    And some are more interested in pickin a fight than stealing.

But then again there is always people who think they are smarter and more entitled than the rest of us. Usually they end up in politics. :sick:

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    Blind Pew, DEL, Tecumsea and 2 others like this.
  16. swralph A Fixture

I'm not a thief or a dishonest person.
    It was many years ago just prior to me not leaving the house for many years and when my medication was not working correctly.
    I went to the IPMS show at Telford.I had been there for a couple of hours wandering around deciding what to buy.

I was at a traders stall and I had picked up a few models and bits and pieces, there were quite a few other people doing the same,I then felt confused and could feel the start of a panic attack coming on I then walked to a club stand with very few people and just stood there took a lot of deep breaths and thought positive thoughts(as I was taught to do) after about 10/15 minutes I was feeling ok and carried on having a look around some club stands.
    Suddenly it hit me,I still had these kits and bits and pieces in my hand and I thought shit,I haven't paid for them,I promptly went back to the trade stand and paid for them about £70/80 worth.
    I suppose the saddest thing about this story is that I could have chosen not to go back and pay and no one would have been none the wiser as to what I had done,or I could have been arrested for theft,Im just glad I'm an honest person.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
  17. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I think your experience at Telford Ralph confirms my thoughts that the traders are not in control of their stands and this could easily result in an innocent punter being accused of theft. Personally i find some trade stands at the show quite shambolic. If these guys get items nicked then they only have themselves to blame.

I am in no way condoning the thieves by the way.

Keith
    Blind Pew, swralph and valiant like this.
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Problem is Keith , not every trader can staff up to the max there is just not enough profit and a lot of guys always made a loss at Euro .
    What I am surprised about is the lack of serious theft at the comp tables especially at the end of the event .
    Blind Pew and swralph like this.
  19. swralph A Fixture

Hi Keith.
    I also have to say there were a lot of confusing moments for me at the period of time the above happened.
    It was just prior to me being put in the nut house again:eek:.
    I know I've been going fishing this year but I have always had someone with me(mainly Paula)but for the last couple of months I have been going with a friend who understands my illness.I dare not go out on my own as I don't want things to turn all weird again.
    Anyway.
    All the best to you.
    Ralph.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  20. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Ralph, it has been a real pleasure to see you progress and become so active on the website, to the extent that you are now visiting shows. So far away from our very tentative conversations when you first joined. Keep it up mate, it's great to see your work on here. fishing and figures are obviously great therapy.

Hope to meet up with you at Stoke next year, how I missed you this year I'll never know. I even missed the group photo, mind you when you see me you will be relieved that I didn't spoil the shot....LOL

Keith