1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed The Paddle Painter (75mm)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Edward, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Edward A Fixture

England
    Hi, just finished this figure sculpted by Alan Ball. It's based on a painting by Robert Griffing.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Like it..the paddle isn’t correct though..First Nations paddle tended to much smaller beaver tails..that thing might work for the bowman in a big modern boat, but not for anything correct..all of chich means little..it’s wonderful work..and ties to a painting vs strict accuracy ..
    I have a collection of references to early canoes..and suggest digging into the work of Tappan Adney..and canadian museum of the canoe..
    Edward likes this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great paint Edward.
    Keith
    Edward likes this.
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love it Edward (I may have mentioned before how much I like your painting style) :p

Paul
    Edward likes this.
  5. Edward A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the kind words! :)
  6. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Splendid work Ed!(y)
    Oda and Edward like this.
  7. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Great work sir..do check those books...Adney worked for Harpers magazine in 19th century..went to Alaska to cover the gold rush and made some money himself...realized the skills were being lost to build traditional canoes and spent some years visiting tribal elders having pieces made while,they still could be. The collection resides in the maritime museum in Annapolis. He went to Canada. Thought at McGill ..on First Nations lore..
    In Canada the harsh reality of disease, residential,schools, outright sale of children to US families in the 60s and now missing and murdered women..it’s a brutal cold thing...the more important to differentiate the Wyeth and Remington romantic stuff from our better understanding today..
    My wife’s grandfather took the railway, walked to Fort William in 19th century, began first hardware, trading store..and befriended fn in the area...we have artifacts given by a chief, elder, named Pannasi...he wrote ..well his wife wrote to his dictation..a book of lore, tales, The Eagle of Thunder Cape..

Woodland canoes were cast away items..utilitarian. Mainly west coast FM made decorated boats and paddle.
    marco55 and Edward like this.
  8. Edward A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the comment - interesting stuff
  9. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

There is a wealth of stuff to be mined..I sent Kev some links.
    Edward likes this.
  10. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Edward. One of the best version I have seen from the figure. Thanks for showing.

Old Johnny: I know that the upper part of the paddle is a little bit to great. I had missed to send Alan some reference photos and on the original painting you can´t see it

Attached Files:

Old johnny and Edward like this.
  11. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

No worries..had no intent to rivit count..the piece is based on a painting..so with the skill with which it’s been painted am duly impressed and do like the mood being conveyed...that something is “made special” ..one definition of art...I have long been devotee of canoe history and contribution, place for First Nations and context for rest of society...so had to open the topic..I’d direct people to the Canadian canoe museum, the First Nations university, the Adney books...other books on canoe culture. The boats varied in style and usage across North America, and through the tiaga of Siberia.... In addition to First Nations, the fur trade routes and voyageurs played an important role in Canada...1967 the voyageur route was retraced by volunteer crews.in places sleeping under the canoes as per the originals.....today the making skills are on the ascendancy as there is renewed pride in the old ways amongst FN...and none too soon as few have the skills to make boats the old way, or for that matter to paddle them..originally canoes were utilitarian, use and toss...today people pay huge money for bark canoes..and for good reason...they dance on the water...
    Edward likes this.
  12. Oda A Fixture

Unusual and yet so inspiring and beautiful.

Oda.
    Edward likes this.
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Beautifull work.

marc
    Edward likes this.
  14. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb piece. Fascinating subject and what an opportunity to paint a figure in a very different pose.
    Some super painting there Ed, I can tell you really enjoyed this one.
    Oda and Edward like this.
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    You have painted a wonderful figure, Edward!

[IMG]
    Edward likes this.
  16. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely wee figure and as usual excellent painting.
    TERRY
    Edward likes this.
  17. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Great figure , excellent paintwork

Mobo
    Edward likes this.
  18. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

If anyone ever wanted some help researching rise sort of topic..I’d be up for it
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done on an unusual figure.
    Cheers
    John
    Edward likes this.
  20. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Unique figure with an excellent paint job.....Well done Edward....

Wayne
    Edward likes this.