1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review "The Man who would be King" Trio from Black Pyramid

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all ,

Films have often been the inspiration to get sculptors going , so it was nice to see what Pyramid Gaming released and now on their website .

I would like to say my apologies to Black Pyramid 0aaaa.jpg and the sculptor for being unable to get round to the review till now ...life !!!!

Its time to take a seat in the front row of the cinema, grab the popcorn ....we are going to enjoy ourselves....and be careful where you put that candyfloss

The thread says trio but I decided to do all in one review as they are all from the same film , they are all available individually of course from the website.

The characters are all from the 1975 film

"The man who would be King"
    000000.jpg
    Starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine ably supported by Saeed Jaffrey and Christopher Plummer, the film is based on a short story by Rudyard Kipling, 0000.jpg this adventure film follows the exploits of Peachy Carnehan (Michael Caine) and Danny Dravot (Sean Connery), English military officers stationed in India. Tired of life as soldiers, the two travel to the isolated land of Kafiristan, where they are ultimately embraced by the people and revered as rulers. After a series of misunderstandings, the natives come to believe that Dravot is a god, but he and Carnehan can't keep up their deception forever.

00.jpg
    0.jpg 000.jpg
    a0.jpg
    0a0.jpg
    Its a feelgood film and a really enjoyable watch ...I had this in my DVD so just had to watch it !!

Kipling 0a.jpg himself is an amazing figure to research with many great books to look at here are a couple 0aa.jpg 0aaa.jpg

I mentioned the sculptor well we all know him from the forum its Steve Leadley aka Valiant , these releases are a follow on from the same series of from Black Pyramid called Tales from the Raj , the first was Mad Carew also based on a book was reviewed here:

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/mad-carew-from-black-pyramid.72421/watch-confirm

Also in the series is a Gunga Din , reviewed here :

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/gunga-din-from-black-pyramid-gaming.71379/watch-confirm

Details of what we will be looking at :

Title: Daniel Dravot, Peachy Carneham, Private Billy Fish

Series: Tales from The Raj

Reference: RAJ002 , RAJ 003, RAJ 004

Scale: 80mm from base to top of head approx 1/12th

Material: Gray Resin

No of pieces: , 5 in first , 2 in the remaining 2

Sculptor : Steve Leadley ( Valiant on PF)

Prep
    This applies to all of the pieces , a small bit of sanding on the undersides then fit the base supplied . On Dravot there is also a arm to fit and his sceptre's into the hand.

That's it all very easy and simple to do

We will look at the resin next

Continued in next post

Nap
    rado2828 likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Now to the resin

Firstly lets look at The King ...played by Sean Connery with style , he is perfect for the role , consisting of 5 pieces , the torso , the right hand , 2 sceptres and a base.
    Daniel Dravot 001.jpg
    The Torso , this is a skilled depiction of the character and recognisable as Mr C so well done to Steve , he wears his robes together with a necklace with the all seeing eye on it , the folds on his clothing are nicely worked . Facial features are really like the man great mutton chops on his face with the surface work being done in Steve's style.
    The crowning glory literally is the crown , well shaped and in keeping with the item used in the film.

Daniel Dravot 006.jpg Daniel Dravot 005.jpg Daniel Dravot 004.jpg Daniel Dravot 003.jpg Daniel Dravot 008.jpg Daniel Dravot 007.jpg

Arm , fitting is easy into the underside of the clothing , fingers are well formed , you will need to drill the hand out a little to fit his badges of office ...the 2 sceptres .

Daniel Dravot 009.jpg Daniel Dravot 010.jpg
    Daniel Dravot 011.jpg

There you have it the bust , which fits onto a nice Base worked as stone with a really nice depiction of the eye again....good chance this to get your painting skill working on the design.

Daniel Dravot 002.jpg
    Note the base is the same for all 3 busts

On to the 2nd now played by Michael Caine , a man who knows all the tricks , its good casting for this by the director ,our fine fellow is called Peachy Carneham , a vagabond adventurer for sure.

The pieces is a full Torso with Head wearing the uniform of the day the first thing I think of is what an opportunity for conversion it has to any infantry unit of the period .
    He wears the red uniform together with the issue hat , the uniform is buttoned up to the neck , nice collar and epaulettes , these are plain , on his right arm we have the rank of Sgt as shown in the film , these stripes are well formed with good spacing between each . The jacket has been worked slightly pulling where the buttons have been done up , nice bit of undercut on the edge as well .

Facial features , again Steve has done a good job and with careful painting Peachy will come to life , again we see good hair texture .

The Service helmet is the 6 panel version and has a pugree round the base , nice folds here , with the panels being separated by clean edge lines. On the review piece there was a tiny bit of edging missing but easily to fix with putty.

Peachy 006.jpg Peachy 005.jpg Peachy 004.jpg Peachy 003.jpg Peachy 007.jpg Peachy 008.jpg

The base is the same as before so the same comments apply .

Daniel Dravot 002.jpg

On to the last but not least bust depicting Private Billy Fish ( a Ghurka) played by Saeed Jaffrey very skilfully giving a great supporting role to the 2 main characters, Billy's role is to interpret and guide the other 2 through the journey , being killed in the end by a mob whilst wielding his razor sharp kukri.

Again this is a single casting and again I think conversion potential , wearing a plain native clothing simple in style , no collar , the arms are showing stitching in the form of a X at regular intervals , these are cleanly worked , decoration on the centre of the clothing is nicely done continuing around the neckline.

On his head we see his cap , again well done with a pompom on the top , looking at his face , yes it looks like the actor for sure , he has a rather fetching moustache , the face showing a good chin line , the hair is long and straggly , strands are well worked.
    Billy Fish 004.jpg Billy Fish 003.jpg Billy Fish 002.jpg Billy Fish 001.jpg Billy Fish 007.jpg Billy Fish 005.jpg

As said we have the same base Daniel Dravot 002.jpg

Final Thoughts

A interesting set of subjects, conversion potential on 2 of them and well sculpted , , perhaps some painting suggestion might be an idea but most have access to references and a DVD player to look at the film !!!

Its good to see the inspiration again coming from one of our most respected writers , a nice addition to the display cabinet particularly as a set of 3 and lots of fun to paint as well as being very reasonable in price.

For more from them why not go to their website at:

www.blackpyramid.co.uk [IMG]

Thanks for the review item and to you all for looking in

Nap
    rado2828, Osebor, Inaki and 6 others like this.
  3. Dekiman Well-Known Member

I was very exited when i saw these figues. Michal Caine is my favourite actor beside Clint Estwood. I watched this movie when I was a kid. S
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is one of my favourite films, Billy Fish is superbly played as are the two Sgts.
    Great review Kev.
    Regards
  5. swralph A Fixture

Great review Nap.
    Thanks for showing.
  6. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    It's a great film, and those who 'understand' Freemasonry will acknowledge the story's many references, plus the carving on the plinths.

Alan
    napoleonpeart and mick3272 like this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Absolutely love the film & story, another great review Kev (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Very nice group and the sculpt looks really fine.
    Super review Kevin, many thanks for raking up all of the other info.
    All the very best Mate,
    Keith
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Just a minor point the 2 "sceptres" are in fact 2 halves of one arrow ;) which Danny is holding
    Steve
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers Steve thanks for pointing that out appreciate it

Nap
    Helm likes this.
  11. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great film and great sculpting...

They look "On the level and on the square" to me....:)

Ian
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    The film was on again this afternoon, on BBC 2, had to stop what I was doing and watch it.