1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP The "Last Sleep Of The Brave"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Here is another Alphonse De Neuville scene that I have always wanted to make. It is going to be another 54mm vignette in the same vain as the "Wounded Ally" I previously made. I seem to be in a purple patch for building so the brushes are still stored away. Still in the very early concept stages of planning but.....
    This work depicts a patrol from the 17th (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Lancers discovering the bodies of Lieutenant Teignmouth Melvill and Lieutenant Nevill Josiah Aylmer Coghill, 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot, who were both killed attempting to save the Queen's Colour of the 1st Battalion at the Battle of Isandlwana on 22 January 1879. The depiction of the 17th Lancers is however anachronistic as when the bodies were retrieved the lancers had yet to leave England for South Africa.
    cheers
    Richie
    Last sleep of the brave 2.JPG
    Last sleep of the brave 1.JPG
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I will enjoy watching this one Ritchie and you have made a good start.
  3. Oda A Fixture

Fantastic idea and the first stages look very promising.Will follow this one.

Oda.
    peedee, anstontyke and Richie like this.
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bob,
    Thank you mate, it's still only very early planning stages but if it goes together like my other Alphonse De Neuville piece I will be more than happy. I expect this one to be very testing.

Hi Oda,
    Thank you mate, I'm so glad you like my idea, but all credit first must go to that wonderful Victorian painter who is such an inspiration for me in his wonderful depictions of the Zulu war. Thank you for the support lads.
    cheers
    Richie
    peedee, Dan Morton and anstontyke like this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looking forward to seeing how this progress' Richie. Looks like were both on a similar path here depicting paintings of events that didn't really happen. :D
    peedee, Richie, Oda and 1 other person like this.
  6. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great start richie, will follow this with interest

tony
    peedee, Richie and Oda like this.
  7. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

I have always really liked this painting as well, and have a small framed print of it hanging in my kitchen. Your off to a great start and I will be following his build!
    peedee, Richie and anstontyke like this.
  8. Trex Well-Known Member

Already looks like it's going to be a great vignette Richie! (y)
    Not within my favorite periods, but I'll be following with interest too.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Interesting little vignette Richie
    Steve
  10. Dewi Evans Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,

Brilliant start to a very interesting idea, good luck with this project mate.
  11. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Looking forward to seeing this piece develop Will be following this one. What scale are you working in?
  12. Monsoon Member

United-States
    Looks like a great start!
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Roger,
    Who would have thought something like "artists & illustrators" could have such an influence on our work mate:D
    cheers
    Richie
    peedee, anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England

I know. Being influenced by and copying someone else's artistic licence no matter how improbable sits easier with me than pewter buttons on a brass buttoned regiment.
    How's that for a new proverb? :D
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks mate, glad you are aboard and following.

Hi Scott,
    Thanks mate, I too have a framed copy of this in my man cave(y). I still remember standing in front of the one in Brecon museum, the first time I saw it and being totally awe struck.

Hi Trex,
    Thanks mate, glad you are in one this one, lets see if the old chimp can convert you a bit more to this period.:love:

Hi Steve,
    Thanks mate, and no giraffe's!:ROFLMAO:

Hi Dewi,
    Thanks mate, well we have to keep promoting this niche period even if it's only for us Zulu war buffs.

Hi Michael,
    Thanks mate and welcome aboard on this Zulu war trip, the scale is 54mm:eek: I normally work in 120mm.:facepalm:

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks mate, once I have the dead horse correct then the placement of Melville & Coghill will be key to the focus. I just hope I can do the painting some justice.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and support at this early stage, it does go a long way lads.
    cheers
    Richie
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Crickey, I've not even woke up properly yet and your throwing deep artistic quotes like at me:cool:. Give the chimp a chance to have his banana first.:D
    peedee, Dewi Evans and anstontyke like this.
  17. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    having seen some of your work i think you are doing yourself a misjustice in your reply to jeff. i wish i could paint half as good as you mate.

tony
    peedee, Oda and Richie like this.
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Tony,
    Thank you for your kind words mate, but I'm only an average painter but top notch when it comes to enthusiasm for my period and I strive every time to paint half as good as these lads and lasses on here who are such an inspiration to us all.
    cheers
    Richie
    peedee, swralph and anstontyke like this.
  19. swralph A Fixture

Looking forward to more of this Richie:).
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Ralph,
    Thanks mate, your such an industrious painter may be I should send my grey built pieces down;) . Anyway busy doing a bit as I type this, I'm sculpting the parts on the dead horse and trying to get the position natural.(y)
    cheers
    Richie