1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique "The Few"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Jan 9, 2012.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Roy Hunts "The Few".
    70 m/m kit I believe.
    This project was ongoing in 2011, but was interrupted by the planet figure workshop(y), and then the 90 day wonder contest from the local club:). Finally it is finished except for the name plate.

I thought that it would look more interesting if the mechanic was in the summer Khaki uniform. I thought that this would add a little more interest to the overall scene. This meant that I had to modify the pants of the mechanic by adding a pocket, as per the Osprey book.

My Father was in the Royal Artillery and stationed on the white cliffs of Dover during the early part of the war, so I thought that to honour his memory I would put them on the White Cliffs after a sortie.

I am thinking of using a clear plastic sheet that will be as wide as the base and much higher than the figures attached to the back of the base. At the top above their heads will be engraved in white the RAF Insignia. Underneath will be "The Few" and then the date of the "Battle of Britain". I think this should set the figures of nicely without distracting.

raf 003edt.jpg
    This is the pocket added with Aves and plastic button added with the seams scribed in.

raf 024edt.jpg
    Thanks to Brian Wildfong for the "oils" blue mix that was posted on PF. I did add a touch of violet to the mix to get the blue that I liked, and to be similar to the Osprey colour plates.

It is on base from Steve that I added some drywall mud to simulate the cliffs as per photo's of the cliffs.

raf 025edt.jpg

I only weathered their boots and the mechanics trouser bottoms with some Mig pigments as I did not want to much dirt on them as I was trying to honour the men, who were mostly young kids, very new, and a lot of them did not live very long. Therefore they would have fairly new uniforms. This guy has a new Mae west. Hence no wear.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

raf027edt.jpg

raf 030edt.jpg
    When I was a kid I used to watch the sky for the Spits returning after the bombing raid. When the sirens gave the all clear my mother and I used to run to the front door and look for the contrails and any Spits.

All comments and critiques are welcome and gratefully accepted.
    Happy New Year,
    Cheers
    John
    Silversurfer, tbolt7, pmfs and 10 others like this.
  2. DaveG Active Member

United-States
    Great little scene John, and lovely painting as usual. (y)

DG
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic vignette John. I really like what you have done.
  4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    nice work Mr. Bowery this is something that looks very good to me. The personal touch is also something that I like. drywall mud huh, I gotta keep that on hand from now on.
  5. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    I like what you have achieved. What scale is it?
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work John.
    Carl.(y)
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Very nice idea John and beautifully executed,

Keith
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Like this scene very much.
    Painting is great

Marc
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice John! Well done!(y)

All the best,
    Dan
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    John
    Very well done... I think the engraved plastic sheet will work great, very interesting idea... will give the finished piece a "monument" or "memorial" feel.
    Again, well done.

Colin
    John Bowery likes this.
  11. yoshi Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    That's a nice piece. How wonderful to put this in honour of your father.
    I've visited the memorial at Folkstone last summer. So, I've some feelings about this subject. Impressive stuf
    John Bowery likes this.
  12. yoshi Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    IMG_6217.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

Just two pictures to give your vignet more respect.
    John Bowery likes this.
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great Idea John

There will be blue bells over the white cliffs of Dover.

Showing my age here!

Good one John(y)(y)

Ron
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    David~ Guy~ Mike~ Peter~ Carl~ Keith~ Marc~ Dan~ Colin~
    Rob~ Ron

Many thanks for the really nice comments and for looking.

Peter: I believe it is 70m/m.

Rob: We also was at the memorial last time we were back in England and it is very impressive. When I was a kid I used to watch the sky for the Spits returning after the bombing raid. When the sirens gave the all clear my mother and I used to run to the front door and look for the contrails and any Spits.

Cheers
    John