1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The bit between bust n wood.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Mozzy, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Mozzy Member

Been into B&Q this after to see if they had any nice rounded rod to fit into a completed bust to then go on a stand.

They had aluminium and brass but I'm sure I saw somewhere here about acrylic rod?

Would this be a simple ebay purchase?

Mozzy
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=440
    https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Transparent-Standard-Tolerance-L-P-391A/dp/B00CPRB028
    http://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass_acrylic_rod

Depends on the diameter, color, etc., etc.

All US sites. These might be less than helpful if you are in UK.

I buy things like this from Amazon, Micromark, Component Supply, Widget Supply, etc., online. Sometimes have had trouble with the product not being exactly what I was looking for, but that's partly my fault. Component Supply, Widget Supply & Micromark are particularly good and easy to work with.

All the best,
    Dan
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Going onto eBay and entering "acrylic rod" as a search term should give you your answer.

Unless I'm missing something here. :confused:

- Steve
    Mozzy likes this.
  4. Mozzy Member

Hint taken Steve; I should have done that first.

Sorry for the daft question :(
    Mozzy
    napoleonpeart and Babelfish like this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    We've all done it at some point mate! :D

- Steve
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Mmmmm

Surely not Steve ..lol

I like the sound of Acrylic rods as a support , I use brass rod at the moment with washers top and bottom ( hides anythingI!) .....5 or 6 MM

Do let us know how you get on with the Acrylic

Nap
  7. Mozzy Member

So now I have found about a squillion offerings on eBay, I assume that diameter is down to the size or relationship between bust n base? As it seems much will be the 1/10 bust size i originally scoffed at, I was thinking about 0.8 (ish) mm diam?

As I will be having some larger figs from KK later this year early next I suppose I just go larger or what looks right?

I've a KK Count Draclia coming and for that I was hoping to mount the bust on clear rod and run a bright red led in the base up through the rod. Nah maybe that is a bit tacky.

I am asking as I don't want it to look silly.

Mozzy

PS Thank you one and all for the help you have given me on a variety of subjects.

This is the 1/4 KK Draclia.

princeofdarkness1 PF.jpg
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Size of post really depends on the bust and the base, there's no set formulae or size, go with what looks good. I for one quite like the red led/clear rod idea for that Dracula bust
    Steve
    Mozzy likes this.
  9. Mozzy Member

Just realised I can't on the Dracule bust. The base is built into the bust.
  10. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Try cake decorating shops . My wife makes loads of celebration cakes and always uses acrylic rods in different sizes for the tier cakes, which I cut down to the height she requires . If you have one in a town near you you will be able to judge the sizes better .
    chippy
    Mozzy and Helm like this.
  11. Mozzy Member

Thank you Chippy.

Mozzy