1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

The Belgian Cavalry at Work

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    [IMG]
    This photo is from an English illustrated newspaper from 1914. I have to credit Ross Mahoney for showing it to me some months back. Long story short - I'm working on recreating this scene in 120mm. Nothing to show you yet. I've worked on bits of the horse, bits of the figure, etc., but nothing presentable at this stage.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Can't wait to see you start. It kind of reminds me of Marijn's recent project.
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very interesting project.
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I'm also looking forward to seeing you start this project, very interesting subject matter.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, guys! I'm kinda excited about it myself.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thats a real good theme my friend. I wish u the best in this one !!!
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    GREAT THEME,Dan !!! All the best,my friend !! Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol: .
  8. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    THat guy's eyesight MUST be bad if he has to get that close to the sign post to read it !!!! Even I'm not quite as bad as that.
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks guys for all the encouragement! As soon as the RND sailor is done and I've finished modifying two rifles, I think I'll re-start work on the Belgian. Apparently no rush on the RND diorama because I still can't come up with a uniquely Belgian setting...ideas??

Stephen - :lol: A very near-sighted cavalryman that left his glasses in his other coat, no doubt!

All the best,
    Dan
  10. robbyk9 Active Member

Hi Dan

Great idea. Looking forward to see some of your work. And I love the theme.

Greetings Dick
  11. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Very nice pose, Dan!
    I'm sure You will make a beauty of it!

I wanna scare the horse, dough. :lol:

Eddy
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Dick and Eddy! Glad to have the encouragement always! If anybody has one, I'd like to see a good close-up of the Chasseur's shako. I've gone thru all the web sites everyone sent me and have a pretty good idea of what it looks like, but could use some close-ups. Also possibly a rear view of the tunic and a side view of the trousers.

All the best,
    Dan
  13. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    Is this one good ?

Peter

Attached Files:

14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beauty!! That's a Lancer but it shows half the horse furniture and the shako. Thanks so much!

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    A couple WIP photos of the Belgian horsie...

I'm starting to put equipment on him and do the needed conversions. I'm fairly satisfied with the way this is going. :) The ground part of the base is done, but the road sign is barely started. Lots and lots to do!

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The figure of the cavalryman himself I'm unhappy with. :angry: The pose has proven trickier to get right than I ever imagined. He has to look slightly off balance without looking like he's going to fall off the horse plus the arm holding the binocs has to be aligned exactly right without looking stiff. I'm not ready to post photos of this guy yet.

Comments and critique - as always - very welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  16. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    An excellent project Dan, and a great start too...I love all the equipment you're putting on the horse...looks very good so far..and good luck with the figure which I'm looking forward to seeing posed way up there on the horse... :eek:

All the best...Roy.
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,

The horse is looking good. For the balance of the figure: I don't know how you made your figures. But if it is from wire Bill Horan always said: When the wire skeleton is not in balance, the whole figure is out off balance.
    Maybe you gonna look to that.
    But as far as sculpting goes: i never sculpt a thing.

marc
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marc - I think we're in danger of being 'separated by a common language'. Yes I used a wire armature and some resin cast blocks as the 'frame' of the cavalryman. The wire skeleton is in balance and OK - that's not the problem. What I've finished of the cavalryman will actually stand correctly in the saddle (using the wire pin thru his right foot slotted into the hole in the saddle). The trick is to make it appear that he's a bit unsteady, have his boots come down on the saddle and flex like they should, ankles bend correctly, arms bend correctly and - to top it all off - make it look easy. And it ain't easy! BUT IT IS FUN!

I'll keep at it and let you guys see some WIP photos as soon as I have it 80% right.

Thanks everybody for all the interest and advice!!!!

All the best,
    Dan
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes Dan,

I know very sure that we misunderstood eachother. But when all is in balance, and everything is correct, THEN IT IS CORRECT.
    Well, i'll wait on your next foto's.

Marc
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marc - The balancing act is coming along but slowly. I realized the boots were a bit too large and had to cut them back resulting in more re-balancing, but I think I got it. As I said, I think the really tricky bit is to make the cavalryman look just a bit unsteady. Not too sure I'm there yet. The horse is nearly done - buckles, straps, reins, a bit of work on the tail and some clean-up.

I think I'll finish the road sign before going back to the figure itself.

All the best,
    Dan