1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Teutoburg Forest AD9

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Alex Long, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    I have a few things on the workbench at the moment but I thought I might show this slow burner of a project (it's been on the go since July) as I have a lot of fun with it and tend to give some attention every couple of weeks.
    It's a vignette on split bases using the Nocturna 70mm Roman Officer and Germanic Warrior. I used a compound mitre saw to chop up some wood for the bases.

_DSC3875a.jpg _DSC3876a.jpg

Wanting to have the Roman's front foot supported on a fallen tree trunk (mostly to get his eyeline up with that of the German) I have used a twig which I "re-barked" by shaving off bark from another (wrong shape but nicer bark) twig. This has (I think) resulted in a more realistic rotten log with peeled bark effect.

_DSC3963.JPG _DSC3964.JPG _DSC3965.JPG

For the Germanic Warrior I have made a rotten stump out of MagicSculpt and added more of the shaved off real bark to the outside.

_DSC4024.JPG _DSC4022.JPG _DSC4025.JPG _DSC4026.JPG _DSC4027.JPG

After priming the figures in Jo Sonjas Carbon Black, I used up what was left in the airbrush cup to spray over the bases, forgetting to attach the mushrooms I had made for the stump and the log.

_DSC4615.JPG _DSC4616.JPG _DSC4614.JPG

Here's where I'm at so far with plenty more work to be done on the bases yet, which I intend to do before starting the figure painting.

Thanks for looking.

Alex.
    Borek, Ray, Blind Pew and 20 others like this.
  2. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent vignette Alex!

Very creative.

All the best,
    Jon.
    Alex Long likes this.
  3. jenghiz Active Member

England
    Alex,I really like what you are doing here,especially your use of height that you have created.Why split the base ? Is it so you can work separately on the pieces as presumably they will end up together.Why not simply paint the figures separately and place on one vignette.Will follow with interest.
    Alex Long likes this.
  4. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Glad you like it Ian, the main reason for splitting the bases is purely an artistic endeavour on my part to create 3 pieces that can be viewed differently.

Alex.
    crf likes this.
  5. Krest063 Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Very interesting review! Good job.
    Alex Long likes this.
  6. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to seeing this progress Alex. Those are 2 fantastic figures that interact really well and are going to look awesome!
    Alex Long likes this.
  7. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea on the scene.....waiting on the painting.

Bob
    Alex Long likes this.
  8. Ferris A Fixture

Really like this project Alex! The slope of the bases makes a very convincing composition.
    Looking forward to your rendition of these figures.

Adrian
    Alex Long likes this.
  9. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Interesting concept, Alex.

J;)han
    Alex Long likes this.
  10. Edward A Fixture

England
    Good start Alex. Looks like an interesting project. Look forward to seeing this progress..
    Alex Long likes this.
  11. swralph A Fixture

Really interesting great idea:)
    Alex Long likes this.
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like the look of this and the split base is an excellent idea, will be following this one (y)
    Steve
    Steve Ettinger and Alex Long like this.
  13. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    I said this was a slow burner! Just finished painting a couple of busts and been able to give this some attention. I have been getting on with the groundwork with the help of some products from Model Scene and Reality in Scale.

First up the groundwork has been painted using Vallejo German Camo black, Olive drab and flat earth. The log and tree stump have been done in a mixture of German camo black + Olive drab + grey and a variety of other vallejo browns washed to different areas. After that a variety of foliage has been added, some mossy woodland scatter, autumn leaves, fern and plants. Also added in a some homemade mushrooms.

Pictures aren't that great as I used the camera on auto. Can't be bothered to set up proper shots while I'm in the middle of working!

_DSC4891.JPG _DSC4892.JPG _DSC4893.JPG _DSC4894.JPG _DSC4896.JPG _DSC4897.JPG _DSC4898.JPG _DSC4899.JPG _DSC4900.JPG _DSC4901.JPG

On to the figures soon, makes a nice change to do groundwork and legs after a run of busts!

Thanks for looking,

Alex.
    Borek, Ray, Stanislav and 18 others like this.
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb work Alex, looking forward to seeing the completed version, going to be great.
    Steve
    Alex Long likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Love the groundwork! Lots of great detail.

Colin
    Alex Long likes this.
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    Bit late to this but it looks very interesting (y)
    Steve
    Alex Long likes this.
  17. Marco22 A Fixture

France
    great work
    I painted this little vignette a couple of years back, and loved it
    hope to see the fig soon !
    Marc
  18. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome groundwork, Alex!
    How did you made the mushrooms for the stump and the log? From putty? Please elaborate, if you are so kind!
    Thanks a lot!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    Alex Long likes this.
  19. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This will be an epic scene when finished. Great innovation with the bases.
    Cheers Mat
    Alex Long likes this.
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Extremely nice and convincing groundwork Alex!

Adrian
    Alex Long likes this.