1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Templar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ron Tamburrini, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian
    As this is a WIP I am going to point out the pitfalls as I progress along this somewhat difficult figure , but it is a cracker and has a great presence and I think worth the extra effort .
    Fitted the first part of the cloak this morning and boy does that add some weight ( it fell off a couple of times before I realised the small locating point was never going to hold it )
    when it bounced on the floor the penny finely struck :eek: as I watched my paint job begin to disappear :facepalm:
    Got out some putty and used that as an adhesive and filling the hollow at the same time . Will do the same for the shield .
  2. swralph A Fixture

This is looking good .
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Making steady progress
    Some collateral damage while fitting the first part of the cloak ,a wee bit of chipping .
    You can see the problem at the back where the two locating holes are ; the large void which I will fill to get a better glue point as the shield is quite heavy and will also help the next part of the cloak.
    IMG_9938.JPG IMG_9941.JPG IMG_9945.JPG
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    This has to be one of the worst designed figures I've ever seen Ron good luck mate you're doing well
    Steve
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve I don't think its that bad , I know the problems with centrifugal casting , its a big figure so you need to cut down the weight or it distorts in the mould , but it aint for a beginner thats for sure , Just hope the arms fit :facepalm:
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Here is the arm and head Setup ,I have put the half head on a paper clip as you need to insert at an angle into the hood once its painted

IMG_9952.JPG
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No doubt by now you have an idea of fitting the face! .. once in. Its a right 'Bugger to get out'.:LOL:

Mark
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Im a once in it stays in type of guy :)
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ron! in the 'Dog world that's called 'Tying',.. Rather awkward if you decide to go shopping!!

dog-add.jpg ..:whistle:

Mark
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I don;t do dogs of any sort :D
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a matter of interest this figure was at the ingolstadt show done as a fantasy piece and the face had been replaced by a tiny mirror ,it was a great piece beautifully painted and set up but scored nowt.
    That was what made me buy it .
  12. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rubbish! .. You are conveniently forgetting your teenage years! (Cough). However, like figure painting we all gradually develop.:whistle::LOL:;)

Ron, Perhaps the painter was seeking to do a 'Ring Wraith', but the judges were to 'Crusty' to realise this aspect.;) However it does lend itself to an 'Aragorn', or 'Boromir' adaption.

Mark
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Looking good so far Ron. I like the subtle finish on the white and black.

I sort of like to read about your painting/assembly struggle. Reminds me we all have to go through this every now and then with this darn hobby of ours! :)

Good luck, cheers

Adrian
  14. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good Ron. I'd forgotten you'd picked this one up.
    I remember the assembly discussions when it was released but there's no doubt it rewards the effort.
    Do I see airbrushing on the cloak? ......... Brian and I will discuss an appropriate punishment tomorrow (excluding your personal tastes of course) :D
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No you don't see air brushing on the cloak (n) it's all done by hand to my new black recipe with mars Black and a secret ingredient ,still to go over it and pick up some of the highs though .
  16. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Finger painting ? ...... secret ingredient - compressed air ;) Seriously that is so smoothly done I honestly thought it was an airbrush, outstanding brush work especially on a black cloak at this scale (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pushing forward with this ever increasing difficult piece .
    Some progress made but more collateral damage on the way :cry:
    IMG_9956.JPG IMG_9960.JPG IMG_9963.JPG
    Still no face yet and there will need to be adjustments to get the shield to fit