1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Tartar Miniatures Knight

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by brian, Mar 3, 2012.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Here's what i'm working on at the moment.It's a beautiful sculpting job and needed minimal clean up.Highly recommended.
    I've still got the shield to paint and do the groundwork but here's a WIP preview. DSC05079.JPG DSC05081.JPG
    Brian
  2. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Brian, the armour looks awesome!
  3. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking superb so far Brian,great mix of metals.Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Cheers Davie(y)
  4. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    very nice colours, great job...(y)
  5. Sergey Savenkov A Fixture

Italy
  6. Don Well-Known Member

Another wonder from supersnad. Love the armour and cant wait to see it finished. Who produced this one?
  7. Sergey Savenkov A Fixture

Italy
    Tartar Miniatures ;)
  8. Don Well-Known Member

Thanks Sergey Nice fidure and Brian has done a nice job so far.
    Sergey Savenkov likes this.
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Glad you like it Sergey.
    Brian
  10. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    This is outstanding, Brian; the face is awesome(y)
    How did you achieve the beautiful look of the metals? I have a very ambitious figure to do and this is the look I want. It's really something!
    Mary
  11. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

This is a great little kit and you are really doing it justice Brian. Looking foreward to seeing it finished.
  12. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Great metals Brian, and very nice definitions around the details. Look forward to seeing it.
    Cheers
    Derek
  13. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A true "McDonalds" of a miniature. I'm lovin' it.

- Steve
  14. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    It's not too complicated Mary.The helmet and chain mail and leg armour was buffed with steel wool.Then i applied several washes of burnt umber and lamp black.The helmet and leg armour was again the bare metal and using a mix of lamp black and burnt umber apply it over the area without thinning the paint.Take it off with a fairly large brush until your left with a stain on the polished armour.If you want it to be more weathered use a brush with a stippling motion.Another way i use is to use a kitchen towel instead of a brush and dab the paint off.When it's all dry you can then add shading and highlights.
    The gold armour was painted using gold printers ink and when dry give it a wash of brown madder which will stain the gold and then highlight with neat printers ink and shaded with more brown madder.
    Although this sounds like a recipe, i usually use different methods when i'm doing armour,the above being one of them.
    It's not at all hard to do ,just keep practising and you'll get the hang of it and if you don't get it right first time ,wipe it off with thinners and try again.
    Brian
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The metals look well Brian, and thanks for the recipe.
    Carl.(y)
  16. flart1943 Active Member

England
  17. combatartist Active Member

United-States
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Brian,i wish i could paintallics as good as you do.
    great work!!
  19. Mark S Guest

Beautiful painting Brian.
    Metals have come up great and I love the work on the face.
  20. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I like your painting of this guy a lot. The blues are gorgeous.