1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Tamiya enamels

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by REMOVED, Dec 14, 2017.

1. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Reading through Mr Black, I’ve seen some amazing work by Toshihiro Sano..his style of muted shading really works for my eye...but he uses a very unusual approach..draining carrier from tamiya enamels, blending with turps..thought to see how it might work, but there’s apparently no tamiya enamel in North America...is the stuff available in Europe?
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Hmm, tatsächlich! I only use Tamiya acrylics, so I've never looked for their enamels. I just checked at Tamiya USA and you're right, they don't have their enamels, except for a couple of detailing washes, and the rattle-can aircraft colors (are they enamels?). That's weird.

BNA Model World out of Oz carries them:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby...enamel?zenid=d0763a0483fcee2543099ea4189accee

I have never dealt with them, so I can't speak to how good or poor a purchase might be.

I'm looking at HobbyLink Japan, to see if they carry them. I buy kits from HLJ, and they're a good source. But I don't see any paints in the catalog, on the Tamiya paint markers

Prost!
    Brad
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi John.
    I have just had a look on ebay there seems to be a few suppliers in the uk
    Mick
  4. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Hmm..will the UK.its not that I am fixed on finding the stuff, but am intrigued the gentleman gets such fine results and goes through such a process. He drains the carrier into a bag during a session, then returns the carrier to the bottle after so it doesn’t dry out. Yikes! I am clumsy enough I’d spill it all over..