1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sweaty and dusty cavalry boots

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Red Five, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    One thing I rarely see when looking at a dismounted cavalry figure is sweat stains on boots. When you ride the horse sweats, and where the boots come in contact with the horse you get sweat, grease and dirt deposits.
    [IMG]

The above pictures is from my boots after an hours riding in a dusty school last night. Note the white deposits are confined to the high points on the inside of the boots. These, by the way, were highly polished before the ride.

[IMG]

A view from behold behind. Note the sweat marks do not show after the centre seem, if they do you are doing something wrong.

Also note on the top picture the dark patina on the boots at the top. This is years of horse sweat and polish. These six year old boots would represent a well used military boot.

Hope this gives you some painting ideas. I'll repeat this next week with some black boots.
    Ned Ricks, theBaron, Huw63 and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnS3 New Member

Excellent point. Thanks for sharing.
  3. Huw63 A Fixture

An excellent point. I wonder what the effect would be on overalls either plain fabric ones or ones with leather on the inside of the legs.

Cheers

Huw
  4. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for photos. An interesting bit of detail to get things right!
    N