1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Summer and Winter

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Dec 21, 2010.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Greetings once again planeteers,just finished a couple of busts which i started last week,i thought i'd title the thread summer and winter as the busts depict the Russian and Normandy campaigns of 1941 and 1944.
    The winter bust is a 200mm Pegaso item depicting a SS grenadier in winter uniform possibly from the LSSAH division - army group south during the barbarrosa campaign 1941,this bust was sculpted by the talented carl reid,it comes in 5x parts all resin with minimal mould lines and just a little filling required.
    The Summer bust is a 1/10th scale Young Miniatures depicting a US tank crew member during the Normandy Campaign 1944 which could be from any armour division which was present in france,the bust is sculpted to Young's high standard which comes in 4x parts all resin with additional brass wire for the helmet / radio reciever which has to be handled and atached with some care,there is also an additional head minus the goggles depending on which version you prefer.
    The busts were completed using my usual painting technique which involves acrylic undercoats finished with oils,hope you enjoy looking at the photos and would welcome any comments or critism you may have.
    Both busts are available in the UK from Historex Agents.
    Happy Painting :):)

Attached Files:

2. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Brian,
    Very nice indeed, you have put a lot of character into these two. My favorite is the US Tanker, dont kow why but he just stands out to me, maybe its just the textures you have added like his clothing, goggles and dirty face. The German looks noticably cold.
    Ben
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice style Brian! (y)
  4. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Brian.
    Excellent painting.
    I liked your own coat way very much.
    I like the atmosphere of this figure.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  5. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    I like them both alot. Your painting style is unique.
  6. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice painting Brian I really like your painting style and the textures and effects that you use, always look foward to seeing your work(y)

Cheers
    Tommi
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work on these busts.
    Really like the look of them

Marc
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Both superb pieces Brian. I really like the weathering on the German helmet, is that airbrushed?
    Carl.
  9. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Wonderfull work again Brian. Always a pleasure to see your work and inspiring too.

Barrie.
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Brian,
    Excellent work.
    Cheers
    John
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much guys for all your kind coments,its very rewarding to me when fellow modelers praise my work which in turn gives me great confidence each time i start a new project,i can honestly say in the last year since becoming a member of planet figure i have noticed a big improvment in my painting and i feel this is not just down to myself but all my fellow miniaturists who also portray their work on this site,the things i have learnt and tips and coments i have picked up and the figures i have viewed have all contributed to me becoming a better painter and improving my style,i would like to say a big thank you to the planet figure team and all my fellow miniaturists for making this site so enjoyable to be a part off,i know i have said this once before but merry xmas everyone and i hope santa brings you the figures you want.

PS - Carl,the helmet work was all done with applications of games workshop skull white which when dry i washed with games workshop sepia ink,this was then dabbed with a dry sponge and small ammounts of paynes grey and burnt umber oils paints where applied sparingly,further thinned sepia washes wer'e used before final touch up was completed on the edges with games workshop boltgun metal and finally windsor and newton silver ink.
  12. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Really nice work Brian !! The German looks as cold as i feel .
    Happy painting n happy Christmas
    Sam
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Your very welcome from the staff!

Those sentiments are greatly appreciated and energizes the staff to keep providing a great place for us to share our art and craft!

(y)
  14. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Very nice works Brian,
    I like your personnal style of painting.