1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stormtrooper Miniatures 1:9 scale Bust, Musketeer, Earl of Manchester’s Regiment, ECW.

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Martin Philpott, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Stormtrooper Miniatures 1:9 scale Bust, Musketeer, Earl of Manchester’s Regiment, ECW.

Company: Stormtrooper Miniatures.

Catalogue Ref: SDB904.

Sculptor: Carl Reid.

Box Art: Ernesto Reyes.

Material: Resin.

Price: £40.00

Availability: Direct from Stormtrooper Miniatures Here.
    [IMG]

Forward.
    The figure represents a 17th Century Musketeer, Earl of Manchester’s Regiment, from the English Civil War. Requiring assembly and painting it consists of 13 individual resin pieces (including pedestal base) cast in a light grey colour. Also included in the kit is wire, metal rod and reference material.
    The English Civil War period always gathers lots of keen interest and with a market crying out for a quality bust covering this era, can this latest release from Stormtrooper Miniatures cut the grade……..

First Impressions. Superb presentation and packaging is once more present in this offering, something we have come to expect from the company. The sturdy heavy duty cardboard box does a wonderful job of protecting the enclosed parts, it also grabs your attention well with the fantastic art work that adorns the lift off lid.
    Inside the box and the various parts are further protected by being placed inside clear plastic zip lock bags. Only the musket is left outside of a bag but this is wrapped well in a protective layer of bubble wrap along with the bagged parts. Under all of the packaging you will find two sheets of folded A4 size paper, this is the kits reference material.
    The quality of the resin is excellent throughout. Flash and seam lines are kept minimal while casting lugs will present no problems being easy to remove and tidy up. The only very slight blemish I noticed was on the left hand sculpted in place on the musket, just a few tiny air holes easy to remedy with a minute amount of filler. The resin is easy to work being neither to soft or brittle whilst test fitting of various key parts proved very positive.

The Figure.
    (photo below) the main torso on which the rest of the kit is built has masses of instant appeal. Anatomically it looks superb being well proportioned and displaying a wonderfully graphic animated pose. Beautifully sculpted by the amazing talent that is Carl Reid the detail has held up very well indeed during the casting.

[IMG]

(photo below) how many times do we see busts looking very similar, lacking any real movement and interest. Here the head is turned heavily to one side and slightly forward, the arms are held at different levels to the torso and the face itself is just amazing in its animation, combined this helps create a huge amount of movement and interest setting the bust apart from many others, so simple and so effective.

[IMG]

(photo below) every little piece of detail is meticulous, no less than we have come to expect from Stormtrooper Miniatures. The detailing in the buttons, the bandolier flasks, the tunic, the leather sash and the hair literally ‘pops’. All of the different layers sit beautifully and very naturally over each other creating a dramatic and highly realistic three dimensional appearance.

[IMG]

(photo below) excellent attention to detail carries through to the back of the figure. The leather straps have great depth of detail as does that hair. The large recess groove is for accommodating the snapsack that will be seen further down. Every one of the individual pieces fits perfectly to the main torso, this is one very well engineered kit and will prove a real joy to assemble.

[IMG]

(photo below) facial features, and how well they are sculpted, will in my opinion often be the deciding factor in making a figure bad, average or good. Well rest assured that here we have something rather exceptional, this is an example of exemplary sculpting craftsmanship.
    Everything from the incredibly lifelike expression to the creases of the brow lines, all are perfectly executed and beautifully proportioned. The definition in the eyes, nose, mouth, teeth, lips and cheeks to the contrast in the hair, beard and moustache, this is a figure painters dream, created at the hands of a master sculptor.

[IMG]

(photo below) close up of the individual powder flasks moulded in situ on the figure, detail is exquisite in each, a real stand out feature of the bust that has been captured perfectly. The recess holes are for accommodating more of the bandolier flasks, the main powder flask and the lead shot shoulder bag, all offer a fantastic fit.

[IMG]

(photo below) replica bandolier with the turned wooden flasks, leather sash and leather shoulder bag for carrying lead shot. All accurately reproduced in stunning detail for the figure.

[IMG]

(photo below) fantastic amounts of detail can be seen throughout, no let up in detail anywhere, just look at how this buckle sits up, absolutely superb.

[IMG]

(photo below) close up of how well the various layers combine to give such outstanding depth, sublime.

[IMG]

(photo below) The tunic has been given a wonderfully aged appearance with the tear to the material along with the excellent natural looking folds and creases. With so many shadows and highlights to get the best from, this bust is going to come alive like you would not believe!

[IMG]
    rado2828 and Zastrow.cuirassier like this.
  2. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Right Arm. (photo below) excellent creases and folds to the tunic help bring the material alive. The turned cuff adds real definition and depth with the excellent undercut helping to achieve this. There are two ‘nodes’ on the end of the arm acting as locating pins, these work well in offering a secure and accurate fit to the torso.

[IMG]

Left Arm. (photo below) just as above, the left arm holds all the features and attributes of the right arm. From the photo below you can see the nodes that act as locating pins. All of those creases and folds of the tunic material are going to show up very well indeed with highlighting and shadow effects of the painting.

[IMG]

Hat. (photo below) the hat is Plainsman in style and in keeping with the attire worn by a Musketeer of this period. What sets this piece apart is the wear and tear that has been sculpted in. Tears and damage can be seen in the brim edge and the crown, all of which helps create a well worn and aged appearance. The finesse of the resin has also helped in creating the great shape the brim has been given, all in all a very worthy and distinctive standout feature.

[IMG]

(photo below) the figure seen with hat in situ. A great standout feature with a perfect fit. That turned up brim and the wear and tear matching well the overall ‘ragged’ appearance of the character.

[IMG]

Bandolier. (photo below) two separate pieces that complete the bandolier. The detailing sculpted into these flasks is quite superb, completely accurate and authentic they do the business perfectly.

[IMG]

(photo below) a re-enactment character wearing a very typical bandolier of this period. The way in which the bandolier has been captured on the figure is superb.

[IMG]
    Snapsack. (photo below) a hugely important piece of equipment used by the Musketeer would be the snapsack. Used for storing and carrying a multitude of essential possessions including most importantly food items. Bar the cloths he wore and the weapons carried all of the Musketeers worldly possessions were kept in his snapback. Seen below is an authentic modern reproduction accurately portrayed in this kit part. The creases and folds long with the shape that would be formed all add great realism.

[IMG]

(photo below) a modern reproduction of the versatile snapback.

[IMG]

Musket. (photo below) this is obviously one of the primary and standout features of the kit an as such needed to be right on the mark. Well it does that more than adequately, beautifully sculpted and equally well cast there is some sublime detailing to get to grips with here. The combination of the gorgeous long wooden stock and metal parts contrast with excellent style and will look superb painted in wood and metal , for inspiration in that department just look at the wonderful example from Ernesto Reyes on the box art. The hands have been sculpted in situ with test fitting to the arms proving precise and straightforward. While there is naturally some warping expected on such a piece this is very easily rectified with placing the part in warm water to reshape.

[IMG]

(photo below) a beautiful replica Matchlock Musket. The accuracy and authenticity has been captured wonderfully well in the kit part.

[IMG]

(photo below) the right hand is posed astride the stock, trigger and ornate trigger guard. excellent detailing in the fingers while there is good definition to the stretching tendons on the back of the hand.

[IMG]

(photo below) the left hand is moulded to the musket and is depicted holding the front stock and yoke of the rest. Finger details are good with great attention in particular to the nails and joints. All look authentic and well proportioned giving a very natural grip.

[IMG]

(photo below) photograph showing a typical design for the yoke part of the Musket rest as seen moulded into the musket and hand of the figure piece. Looks just right to me.

[IMG]

Shoulder Bag. (photo below) used for carrying lead shot the resin piece in the kit certainly looks authentic and convincing, especially when comparing it to photo below of the reproduction equipment.

[IMG]

(photo below) some of the kit used by a Musketeer. While these are reproduction pieces they very accurately portray the genuine articles. The shoulder bag can be seen in the bottom right hand corner, the kit part offers a great representation of this.

[IMG]

Scabbard. (photo below) the scabbard sits on the rear left hand side of the bust where there is locating recess to accept it for a perfect fit. The two points where it matches up to the leather strap is also perfect. A small recess in the top ensures the exact fit of the sword hilt seen further down.

[IMG]

Rapier Sword. (photo below) the section of sword looks fantastic and incredibly realistic compared to the authentic offering in the photo below. The swept shape of the hilt is beautiful, as you will see from the box art further down, once painted and attached to the figure this is going to look sensational.

[IMG]

(photo below) an original rapier sword, typical in appearance for this era. The hilt has the distinctive swept appearance captured so well on the kit part.

[IMG]

Powder Flask. (photo below) this looks fabulous and completely authentic when compared to the reference photo below. The curved shape has been captured to perfection. A beautifully intricate piece very well executed in the sculpting.

[IMG]

(photo below) a beautifully crafted original powder flask, not dissimilar to that of the kit part.

[IMG]
  3. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Display Pedestal. (photo below) a nicely shaped pedestal is included for display purposes. The textured surfaces and uneven curved edges are excellent adding real quality to the piece overall.

[IMG]

Wire and Metal Rod. (photo below) the metal rod is used to form the Musket rest while the wire serves the purpose of connecting the powder flasks to the leather strapping of the bandolier superbly well.

[IMG]

Reference Material. (photo below) two sheets of A4 size paper contain the reference material. These cover construction and painting reference details.

[IMG]

(photo below) the second reference sheet.

[IMG]

Photos. I have included a selection of photos below for reference purposes. All are from the Stormtrooper Miniatures Website and Facebook pages showing the fully assembled figure painted and unpainted.
    Ernesto Reyes has created another exquisite finish for the box art, for me personally I find his work compelling and meticulous, easily one of the very best figure painters we are blessed with.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Synopsis. Another fabulously enticing release from the mighty Stormtrooper Miniatures. The sensational pose created by the superb talent that is Carl Reid is highly animated with quality features bursting from the sculpt throughout.
    The ECW theme is always going to prove popular with figure painters, but even if you only have the slightest interest in this era, trust me your going to want to add this beauty to the collection, its going to make for a very likeable and distinctive display piece.
    Stormtrooper Miniatures have their finger well and truly on the proverbial pulse right now, excellent value for money, superb quality and wonderful subject choice have given them another winning formula with this particular release, congratulations to Stuart and the team.

Author and PublisherMartin Philpott. Martin’s Scale Models on Facebook.

Thanks. My sincere thanks to Stuart Hale, proprietor of Stormtrooper Miniatures and official sponsor of Martin’s Scale Models for this opportunity and review sample.

Stormtrooper Miniatures Media Sites. Please be sure to click on the links below to keep right up to date with all that happens on the Stormtrooper Miniatures website and Facebook pages.

Facebook: Stormtrooper Miniatures on Facebook.

[IMG]
  4. Graham A Fixture

England
    Not my period but I really like this bust. I know it got a sour launch thread on here but I believe we will see some outstanding versions of this in the near future..... mmmmm, very tempted.

Thanks again for a great review Martin. We are blessed with great reviews on here from Nap and yourself, appreciated.
    Martin Philpott likes this.
  5. mick3272 A Fixture

Another great piece from Stormtroopers an very fine review from Martin, With all the information supplied even I couldn't cock it up.
    'Could I ?'
    No.

Mick
    Martin Philpott and Graham like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin,

Excellent review mate , great character face , plenty of scope for painting this as well

Happiness is resin in a bust!!...ye hah!!!!!

Nap
    Martin Philpott and Graham like this.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I agree a great review, stunning features and can be any regiment you want.
    Well done Martin.
    Bob
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant work again from Carl and Stu,really like this one
  9. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys, it really does go a long way ;-)

Martin.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks for putting a lot of effort into a great review Martin.
  11. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I have liked this one since I first saw it. A great review Martin. ECW is not my time period, but I may just have a go at this one. The combination of a great sculptor, a first rate company, and a great review, make this one hard to resist.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    With due respect to the no politics rule........./ HE'S ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!. Earl of Manchester.....? Damned traitor!!!!:whistle:.
    Seriously though, it's a great bust and another great review (y).
    Best wishes, Gary.
  13. Perseas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Excellent review Martin as always!
    Great painting from Ernesto on a quality product from Stormtroopers!
    Congratulations!!!
  14. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Bless you guys, fantastic comments as ever, gratefully received;-)

Martin.
    napoleonpeart and garyhiggins like this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Great review Martin,am cleanining and prepping this piece as I post.Interesting period "English civil war''
    always thought the English were more civil than the Americans.....I guess not.....No offence guys........Wayne..............best back off
  16. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Now come on Wayne.............., just cause you kicked us out in 1783................:LOL:.
  17. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Lol fella's, love the banter :)

Martin.
    garyhiggins likes this.
  18. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review Martin, a fantastic figure, great work from Carl again.
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The extreme close ups are incredible! I'm sure all of the members know that a close up of just about any miniature will disclose one or two errors in sculpting or casting or both. None at all on the head and face! A couple of what look to be casting mistakes on one hand - all correctable. That's all my old eyeballs see.

Not my period of interest, but fine work!

All the best,
    Dan
  20. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Many thanks Darren and Dan. The feedback is great and really helps, much appreciated gents.

Martin.