1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Storming the Breach- The Devil's Own

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, May 22, 2015.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All

Finally finished this piece off tonight. It's a 54mm offering from Benieto in white metal. It's a very dynamic piece. He's posed in the act of passing through a breach in a wall. the figure came with a piece of sculpted wall as ground work. I incorporated this piece of wall and extended the groundwork down the face of angle cut piece of locus to represent the brick/rubble fall on the inside of the fortress wall, broken down by artillery bombardment. Included in the groundwork is the arm and pistol of an unfortunate French infantryman caught and buried in the cave in. The weathering was done by mixing groundwork colours into the garment colours, especially the lower pantlegs and gaiters. Then very thin washes of the mid ground colour on the cuffs, knees, elbows and hands. Finally, light drybrushing with the highest ground work colour over the whole fig, concentrating on the pants, sleeves, shoulders, equipment and shako.
    DSC01884.JPG DSC01885.JPG DSC01886.JPG DSC01887.JPG DSC01889.JPG DSC01890.JPG DSC01891.JPG DSC01892.JPG DSC01893.JPG
    I chose to represent the infantryman here as a member of the 88th Regiment of Foot... The Devil's Own as he storms the breach during the siege of Badajoz during the Peninsular Campaign.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome as always. I'd like to know if I need to do more weathering or if maybe I've done too much... Dirtying up a finished fig always scares the hell out of me :nailbiting:

Cheers

Colin
    Erbay, Jaybo, elanlane13 and 30 others like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Excellent Colin. I like how you have weathered the figure, it ties him to the scene very well.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Colin,
    This looks great, looks as if the soldier is trying hard to keep his footing. Nice one.
    Bob
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent idea to extend the sloping debris. I think it looks very convincing!
    Weathering looks right to me.
    Painting is sharp as well Colin.
    Is there some gloss in the red, or is it the pictures? Do you use matt medium in the acrylics?

Cheers,
    Adrian
    OldTaff and ChaosCossack like this.
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Colin and thanks for telling us how you did the weathering.
    I think it looks about right too :) I'd possibly have subdued the colours in the buried arm slightly, but that's just me.
    Cheers
    Paul
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    First class.

Mike
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. swralph A Fixture

Very nicelynicely painted Colin,the groundwork really sets the figure off(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Huw63 A Fixture

Superb work Colin. You've managed to blend in the figure to the groundwork. My only suggestion would be more dust on front of jacket, cross belts and shako - the top half seems a little too clean in my humble opinion. Then again I can't paint to your standard!

Regards

Huw
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Like this one a lot Colin.Smashing paint job and groundwork.
    Brian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Excellent result and drama! I can feel your doubts about weathering this piece. The pictures might not show all the efforts you made to full effect so thanks for the description how you tackled the project.
    I had some good experiences with the different shades of pastels and Tamiya weathering sticks - if overdone they can be removed or toned down within a certain time frame. Usually dirt and grime settle more or less intense on different spots of the same piece of clothing so the spots seem darker or lighter (even more "greenish" or "brownish") although the same dirt color was consumed by the clothing.

All the best!
    Martin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Excellent finish, very dynamic, great setting and angle. It looks great as it is, I would not alter anything.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
    OldTaff and ChaosCossack like this.
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Great work Colin!! The debris is great, very rich and real.

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Congrats my friend! (y)
    A very nice, dynamic and dramatic display. The composition is simple but very, very effective and is very nice balanced.
    Love the groundwork! Very realistic done! You are getting better and better!
    Can't wait to see this piece during our next meeting.
    Cheers my friend!
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Congrats on finishing another cool piece Colin. You can feel his care in moving down uncertain ground into enemy territory. The defender's arm is a brill touch. I think I would agree on the additional weathering and dust given that a large explosion has just occurred, pulvarising masonry. I too have had succes with pastels....very cheap and easy to apply.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Cracking bit of work Colin.(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. JonH Active Member

Great work.I love the look of apprehension/anticipation on his face.
    Jon
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi Colin.

Looks great......he is a true member of the Forlon Hope. You have done a great job. Love the startled,apprehension on his face.

Peter.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Face is great.
    In fact all composition is superb.
    You can imagine how he jump across fort wall lookong for Frechmans.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx for all the kind words and advice.
    I did go easy on the weathering above the waist... I figured it's easier to add more than take it away. Weathering always makes me nervous, I don't want to ruin a mediocre paintjob. Colin perhaps we can discuss the materials you mentioned at the next meeting.
    The red is still a tiny bit satin in finish even though I dosed it heavily with matt medium. Next time, even thinner layers... that should help.
    It was a fun little project to work on. The face was a little flat, sculpt wise, and I was never really convinced I managed to bring out a decent expression... I'm still not.

Oh well, paint and learn, right?

Thanx again for the support guys

Colin