1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Stormin' Norman - General Schwarzkopf

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Finished this yesterday evening: Verlinden's 120mm general Norman Schwarzkopf, painted in acrylics, face in oils. Lovely sculpt, except for his back and neck which are too straight. Folds in the clothing are a treat to paint however.

Amazing, but I started this figure almost exactly 10 years ago, painted the face (in oils) and left it to dry until about half a year ago... Are there any slower modellers out there??! :rolleyes:

Well, here it is, ready for a competition in a couple of weeks!

Thanks for watching and commenting!

Cheers,
    Adrian

PS: In case anybody is interested in paint mixes and so on, please have a look at earlier threads in my vBench.

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It was worth the wait, you must have used slow drying oils.:D
    Great job Adrian,
    Carl.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nicely done Adrian. The camo is very nicely done. I also really like the weahtering at his feet. Not only have you tied him into the groundwork, but you've managed to maintain some highlight and shadow there, instead of just adding some dust or mud. Well done!

Jay H.
    gordy likes this.
  4. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice

The camo is extremely well done. Well worth the wait.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great job (y) love the camo, the grey hair is very well done :)
  6. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Adrian.
    I congratulate completion.
    I think the color of the uniform is very correct and realistic.
    I think CHOKOーCHIPPーpatern is also qualified.
    The tone of the face is also wonderful.
    I think a drying period becomes short if you apply heat light to oil paints.
    Excellent finish!

mitsutaka
  7. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Nicely done Adrian. The camo is especially well painted.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Good things take time Adrian. Well done. Good job on the camo.
  9. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    The chocolate chip camo looks great, well done. My only nitpick would be the color of the desert boots; perhaps using a slightly different shade of tan would help to differentiate them from the rest of the uniform...

Great job,
    Mario
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Carl: Thanks!

Hi Jay: Thanks for your careful observation and flattering remarks. I took pains to get this effect, so I'm glad you noticed!

Hi Grant: Thanks! It's a hobby fro which one needs patience right?!

Hi Gordy: Thank you. It was fun to paint grey hair, something different isn't it?!

Hi Mitsutaka: Arrigato! (did I spell correctly??). Thanks for the tip, but I never used a drying box, because I'm such a slow modeller that I can easily do it the natural way, ha ha!

Hi Dimitrios, thanks for you remark.

Hi Tony, thanks, much appreciated mate!

Hi Mario, thanks for your remark! I fully agree about the colour tone differences; actually I took pains to get a slightly different tone, at least the paint mix is different, but I guess this is not really apparent in the pictures that are slightly over-exposed (it was such a nice autumn day when I took the pics). Next time I might increase the effect just a bit. Thanks for your careful observation!

Thanks for commenting guys!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  11. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Fantastic camouflage Adrien(y) I like entire piece very much.:)
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Pedro,

Thanks very much for your flattering words!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  13. Ferris A Fixture

By the way, I forgot to post one picture: I used some home-made waterslide decals for Schwarzkopf's uniform badges, and as you can see in the picture, I have some left.

So if anyone intends on building this figure any time soon, drop a note and I'll send you some....

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

14. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    Fine paintwork of a my heroes
  15. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Great job, and very instructive for me--I'm building the 54mm version of this kit ;) I'm using Vallejo acrylics, though, for mine.

Prost!
    Brad
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Worth the wait Adrian......just for the camo alone.
    Very well done. Is it still with the original Verlinden head? The face is superbly painted.
    Great work.
    All the best,
    Keith
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Excellent likeness and as others have said top job on the camo

Steve
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ferris ,

Nice one good to see it finished ...looks great ..I have the Verlinden bust of "Storming Norman" ...primed ..hope mine comes out as good as your full version

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  19. Ferris A Fixture

Well there's a blast from the past!
    Somehow this figure I finished 2.5 years ago came up in the cue, I guess it was you Fabrizio1969.
    I guess it makes up for my lack of production over the last couple of months.

Brad, I only used oils for the face, rest is acrylics.

Keith, thanks man. Yes, it is the original head. It's quite good I think. Only the neck and back are off and give the figure a rather stiff appearance from some angles.

Thanks for commenting guys!

All the best,
    Adrian
  20. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    Yes adrian,i start paint the same figure and search in the forum same kit for see the correct mimetic,and when i was see your post i liked it too much!