1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stoker, RN, 1939-45

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by valiant, Oct 3, 2017.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys,

Im currently working on a fill in sculpting job, depicting my Uncle who served as a stoker during the 2WW, at Dunkirk and latterly on HMS Indomitable.

Unfortunately, there is only a smudgy pic of him when he joined up, so I am looking for some details regarding the collar and it's method of tying/fasten and the cord. I have done some internet research and there seems to be some variation depending on what else was being worn - or am I wide of the mark!?

If anyone can offer any info, it would be gratefully received, thanks, as my knowledge is barely nil!

Steve(y)
    Huw63 likes this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Steve, the blue collar was attached by tapes.....

[IMG]

By cord I assume you mean the white lanyard seen in the bottom right of the above photos?

[IMG]
    moore, napoleonpeart and Huw63 like this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This photo shows the jumper issued in the mid 50's with a zip front, previously it was pulled over the head but the collar remained the same.

[IMG]
    moore, napoleonpeart and Huw63 like this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Roger - that's perfect reference! Just the detail I needed to do the job, brilliant(y)
    billyturnip likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You're welcome Steve, if there's anything else I can help with just ask.
    valiant likes this.
  6. Huw63 A Fixture

Hi Valiant

please post more as this develops. My Grandfather was an RN Regular who signed up in the 1920s and who was a Chief Stoker sadly killed in action when his ship (HMS Hurworth a hunt class destroyer) hit a mine when aiding a sister ship in 1943. I have his medals, service record and a few bits and pieces (including a box he made at sea for keeping his shoe polish, brushes etc when in port I still have and use for the intended purpose!).

Cheers

Huw
    billyturnip and moore like this.
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Huw - I will post some pics over the weekend, hopefully. Progressing well, all roughed out with details to add.

My uncle Bill. as I knew him as. was my grandad's brother in law. Both of them had grown up together as kids and had joined up as regulars, Bill in the Royal Navy and my grandad in the Army, when jobs were scarce in the 20's. When war broke out in 1939, they had not long been back in civvy street and instantly re-enlisted.

Thanks for looking, pics soon,

Steve(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.