1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Still,,,alone in the dark.120mmUSAB,

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by pixelhead, Feb 21, 2014.

1. pixelhead New Member

Netherlands
    Hello folks,

Its been a long time since my first/last post, but thankfully, rumors of my demise were greatly exaggerated.
    Have been sculpting away at this figure with renewed enthusiasm the last weeks (thanks to encouragement from my girlfriend (who amongst you can boast such support?) and am here to submit these efforts to your critical eyes.
    Your last comments were very helpful and I have made adjustments accordingly.
    There are a few stumbling blocks though, for example, how the hell do you make laces at this scale without loosing your mind?
    The sculpt is not quite finished, KBar, webbing,face,etc etc, but if anyone has some comments which I can still incorporate before going to mold, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Mike USAB.jpg
  2. swralph A Fixture

Looking ok to me ,but there are better people that can point you in the right direction.I don't need to boast,but my wife fully supports me in my hobby as I am of her's.
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am with Swralph on other pointing you in the right direction, when I lived in the states spent a bit of time around Forrest Guth " Band of Brothers which was a fantastic he was an uncle of my wife's family .
    I have dug up some images which might help Forrest did in fact saw extra pockets on his arms for storage thought it might help with some ideas, to make it that little bit different great sculpt and Detal work love the webbing built .
    One of my favourite pics is the last one with the two women that was I think the first day or second, just look at the kit He did in fact jump with a blue hoody on ,and he took a camera which was not allowed Good old Forrest sadley missed
    Cheers Chris

Attached Files:

4. pixelhead New Member

Netherlands
    I remember reading a short storie as a kid, entitles, 'those devils in baggy pants', or some sutch like, ever since then the paratroop regiments have always held a mystique to me. Thanks taff, for the reference photos, in all my googling I never saw these, go's to show, you need the right search term and background knowledge to get the best reference.
  5. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Those hotos are fabulous...wonder how they could walk with all that gear......
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mike,
    For the boot laces why don't you try fuse wire! comes in a few different gauges.
    cheers
    Richie
  7. Don Well-Known Member

Mike, amazing piece of work, I envy you your skill.
    For the boot laces can I suggest Engineers Lead Wire. Like fuse wire its available in various thicknesses meant for sizeing gaps. Mainly lead based, its quite soft so bends easily and would drape across the boots nicely.

Don
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great call Don on the solder wire, definitely would be better.(y)
    Don likes this.
  9. Don Well-Known Member

Richie, its not a soldering wire but a soft engineering wire, no solder in it. Its mainly used for for finding the thickness of a bearing or finding a gap in parts. Simply put some into a bearing, tighten said bearing to working condition, strip it our and measure the wire. Very accurate measurement of a difficult to measure area.
    Some members may worry about the lead content.

Don
    Helm likes this.
  10. Don Well-Known Member

No matter how you manage the boots Mike its still a great figure!

Don
  11. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm having the same problem with German para boots at the moment. I tried drilling small holes and using fusewire, but couldn't get the wire to bend in the right place, drove me up the bloody wall! Am experimenting with thin metal sheet and fusewire which is working ok for me, but I'm sure the experts will chip in with a better solution.

Cracking figure!

All the best,
    Jon.
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Mighty cool!! In this scale, all I've ever done is roll out very thin Kneadatite and MS mixes into wires and use those for boot laces. It's a little tricky and finicky but gives good results. You can get it to loop if you want tied shoe lace loops. Easy to show ties if you need to do that.

Whatever works for ya...

All the best,
    Dan