1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Spartan Aristocrat

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Bailey, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Just finished painting this 90mm Pegaso figure (a gift from my wonderful girlfriend). It's a great figure, probably why it shows up so often on this site. Here's my attempt at doing it justice.

spartan02.jpg spartan06.jpg spartan07.jpg

spartan04.jpg spartan05.jpg

I painted the helmet to match my work on Young Miniature's Spartan bust. The lion on the shield was a common symbol on Greek shields and represented bravery. This version was painted to match one on a pelike shown in the Ospery book "Greek Hoplite."

Thank you for taking a look!
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice looking shield! (y)
  3. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice, I really liked...
  4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    very nice indeed. I think if you extend the groundwork to the edge of the base and give a little weathering to the whites you will really have something. Excellent work on the detailing (trim design & shield) these are the things that often are left off that make your figure top notch.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You absolute did it justice.
    Great work.

marc
  6. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice indeed, the kit is a beauty and you have done it justice. I do agree with Mike though, to extend the groundwork to the edge of the base would be a bit more pleasing to the eye, but thats your choice.
    Ben
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Great looking figure and nice designs.
    Cheers
    John
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    As is the rest.
    Carl.
  9. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Great job painting and great figure. I have a question: Is the helmet comes separate for the head figure?

Regards

Rod
  10. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you all for the comments. I was very happy with the end result.

Mike and Ben, good point about the base. I wish I had more experience with ground work. If you have any techniques or resources that you’d recommend, please let me know.

Rod, the head and back of the helmet come attached to the main body. However the front of the helmet is separate, so you can paint the eyes, mouth, etc without any obstruction. But if you’re looking to do some sort of conversion to the figure, like having the helmet pushed back on the head, it would not be easy. You can check out the review to get a better look at the figure as it comes out of the box:
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28645
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    HI David, it would be hard to give a full run down of the different styles of groundwork that you could do for the base, but a basic one would be use any type of modelling clay such as Magic sculpt, Aves Epoxy clay or DAS modelling clay and blend this into what already exists, and take it to the edge of the base. The kit provided one has some rocks on it, which you could replicate with kitty litter or model railroad scenery rocks of a similar size.
    I once thought that groundwork was hard but once i gave it a good go I was surprised on how easy it actually is, and how much better it makes your kits look.
    Hope this helps
    Ben
  12. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Davide wish my girlfriend gave me this knd of gifts.
    Great version of this classic.
    The shield whould be my favorite part!
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    David for ground work it is just as Ben says. For the modeling clay go to hobby lobby or similar and get some "paper clay" or "la doll", it air drys and ends up being rock hard. add texture to it while it is still soft with an old tooth brush or an old stiff paint brush. You can also model small stones or use natural sand or kitty litter (I've never used kitty litter but a lot of people do). You then paint it then dry brush your desired colors on. after this you can add commercial tufts of grass or stuff from your backyard (like old roots). Since this guy is on a sandy type surface you could just use a dusting of fine particles from outside (on type of thin elmers glue). I'll bet there is an SBS somewhere on here on doing groundwork. You can also look at other peoples bases and see how they have done their groundwork. here are a couple examples of really cool groundwork by my hero of groundwork.
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27848
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25450&page=13
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22670
  14. debrito A Fixture

Canada

Thank very much David to answer my question, appreciated. when I will recovery from Xmas, maybe I will get this nice fig.

Best Regards

Rod.
  15. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nicely painted figure David, the shield design is very good.

Cheers David
  16. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Beautiful work on the shield and the armor...
    Also the white meanders look very detailed and clean painted...
    Congrutulations!