1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SPARTA!!!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Paul Kernan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Now under way with a very well animated offering from Pegaso. It appears to be around 150mm and is a resin casting. Other than some pitting on the sleeves and cape (probably most time spent on this part), overall quality was very good. Dry runs on the parts indicates the fit should pose no problems either.

Attached Files:

2. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    The helm is finished, although I would be interested in everyone's opinion on the battle damage on the lower parts of the helmet. Does it look convincing? Overdone? etc

As usual, painting is a combination of oils or printers inks over an acrylic (Vallejo) or enamel (Humbrol) undercoat

Cheers

Paul

Attached Files:

Macca G, Gellso, ChaosCossack and 7 others like this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I like it Paul. So far so great.

Colin
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  4. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Coming on nicely Paul,nothing looks overdone(y).
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks good Paul! Nothing looks overdone.
    Just a suggestion, my friend.
    What I would do is to emphasize the dents by increasing the "depth". They look now more like the surface is worn by handling. Weapons are leaving relative deep dents. To emphasize them you can paint a dark shadow tangent to the highest highlight of the dent. You will create the illusion of a dent created by a blade or spear. In this way you can differentiate between weathering produced by handling and battle damage.
    Cheers mate! love the checkers! (y)
    Zeno :)
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks awesome Paul!!!
    Very dramatic character. Will he be joining us in Hamilton?

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this highly expressive face.

Colin
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  7. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    A bit more progress. I've finished the armour scales in varying combinations of Printer's Ink Gold , Van Dyke Brown (W&N) and Liquin over an undercoat of Vallejo English Uniform. I added a dab of Sepia to the mix for the deepest shadows.
    Since the face is well concealed under the helmet there is a temptation to skip over the flesh tone. However, I decided to use stronger shadows and highlights in an attempt to accentuate the facial features. The beard/hair is undercoated with Vallejo Camo Brown and the shirt with Humbrol British Scarlet for now.
    Not much will happenng for the next couple of weeks. Up next a little sun and sand....vacation time:D

Attached Files:

8. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    That face looks brilliantly savage(y).
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very, very nice!
    Love what you did so far!
    Enjoy your vacation time!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  10. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    That's one angry-looking dude; gives Gerard Butler a run for his money as a pissed-off Spartan;) ! I really like the weathered bronze finish on the helmet's faceplate - how'd you do it?

Fantastic progress sir!

Cheers,

Brian
  11. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Brian....once the bronze had cured, I simply applied a coat of Lamp Black and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I removed the excess paint with a soft brush, followed by a stiffer brush in areas I wanted a more worn effect and then gently blended the entire surface with a soft brush. Lamp Black was used again for deep shading followed by Gold Printers ink for the chipping and worn edges.

Paul
    tiberius57, crf and garyhiggins like this.
  12. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks dude! Is Hamilton a possibility?

Brian
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Fantastic work Paul. Armour looks amazing. The face is particularly frightening... that's exactly what my Dad looked like when I was a teenager and was brought home by the cops... I saw that face a lot :sorry::blackeye:

Colin
  14. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada

Brian:

I would love to but I return from vacation that day. Will not be home till late that night. Maybe next year
  15. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Finally got back to pushing some paint around. In the home stretch. Some work still to go on the hair and buckles.

IMG_5496.jpg IMG_5500.jpg
    tiberius57, Martin64, crf and 2 others like this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great job Paul.
  17. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Paul, how you can put going on holiday ahead of going to a show is beyond me :LOL:? Doing a great job on this, One point though, not rivet counting not criticism, just a point for future reference, the Spartan style was beard but no moustache. It doesn't matter, it's a great bust anyway, and who cares what some bright spark of a hairdresser did 2 1/2 thousand years ago?
    Best wishes, Gary.
  18. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Gary...but Gerard Butler had one. Are you suggesting this is not historically accurate;) Fortunately (or unfortunately), the helmet will cover about 90-95% of the face and beard. I purposely exaggerated the shading/highlighting on the face to compensate for this and you still barely see it:rolleyes:
  19. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Me? suggesting that Hollywood is historically inept? Neveeerrrrrrr.:LOL:. as I said, it's a great bust beautifully sculpted and you're doing a great job of painting it. It's just a point of interest that really doesn't matter:)
    Best wises, Gary.
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Loving the reds and armour Paul. This is really turning out nice.

Colin