1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Sorcerer 54m/m

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Dec 26, 2012.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Hi all Planeteers this is the first figure I have done for a year, this year. I had to do other things.
    This is a great sculpted figure but is a bearcat to assemble. You have to align four points of contact at the same time. That is the two shoulders and two wrists on the staff. The hands are connected to the staff and the arms are separate. I finally drilled and pinned the arms at the shoulder and the hands at the wrists. Used very very thin copper wire at the wrists and larger wire at the shoulders. A pin on each of the two hands and then each arm shoulder. I drilled the matching points oversize to allow wriggle room. I only glued the shoulders leaving the wrists attached but not glued. I used five minute epoxy and blue tack and my hands to help hold every thing in place until the glue set. After the glue at the shoulders set it allowed me to remove the staff with the hands I then painted everything and then assembled the staff and hands with 5 minute epoxy and filled the slight gap with super glue and touched up the join with raw umber paint. The bottom of the staff is also pinned to the base to keep it in place.
    Turned out to be a smart move giving me easy access to most all the folds.
    I wanted to have him without a tanned look and left him pale. I put him in a woodland setting. I tried to give the orb a little glowing look. I did think about trying to do an "object light source" but since I didn't want to screw him up, I chickened out. Maybe next time.?? So I opted to try to make it show as a light source using the red colour.
    It is oils over Acrylic base
    I tried to co-ordinate the colours by makeing the money pouch and a feather a green colour similar to the light glow. The other purple feather is to tie the sleeve and hood borders to the figure.
    I also tried to have all the leathers slightly different colours
    sorcerer 013edt.jpg sorcerer 002edt.jpg sorcerer 003edt.jpg sorcerer 004edt.jpg

All Comments are gratefully accepted.
    Thanks for looking.

Cheers
    John
  2. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    only one figure but absolutely beautiful John, like a lot the reds and the character of the face , very well done !!
    cheers
    stefano
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome work! (y)
    Groundwork complements very well the figurine. Nice work on the green crystal, too!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  4. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice John.
    Great work. The reds on the cloak look great as does the groundwork.
    Ta for showing.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Very nice work John, i love the work you've done on the leather, it looks so realistic :)
    What mix did you use for the red tunic??, it is oils or acrylics?? , lively colors,very very nice.
    Best regards
  6. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

John,that is really well done. Good job.(y)
  7. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Hello John,

the face looks absolut absolut beautiful and the red colours are great.

Fantastic work !!!

Best regards

Karsten
  8. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Great figure. Compliments are in order!
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice John.

Ron
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Lovely work John. :)

Roger.
  11. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece John.
    Carl.(y)
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    That is a very well painted figure, the face really stands out against the red of the cloak and there are lots of small details to keep your eyes interested. Great work
    Ben
  14. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent brush work John (y)!!

Joe
  15. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    John excellent painting all round , congratulations (y)

Cheers Ken
  16. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    well done sir. Glad to see you back at it.
  17. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi John, you have done a very job on this figure. Happy to see you back at it.(y)
  18. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nice indeed
  19. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nice work John !

Carlos
  20. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Great results John! The orb does have a nice glow to it. I love Nocturna's figures.