1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Sophia Bellicui Baffo - Safiye Sultan ( 1550-1605)

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by SERHAN OFLAS, Jul 28, 2015.

1. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello,

Here it is my third attempt to carve third flat and first female flat figure.

Cheers,

Serhan

Attached Files:

2. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Serhan, looks like it's coming along fine, what are you working in?
    Best wishes, Gary.
  3. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hi Gary,

Thank you.

I use Super Sculpey at the moment. May be I must use another materials but I do not know which material is best for this kind of works.

[IMG]
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

You've really got an addiction to this... great to see.

Cheers

Huw
    SERHAN OFLAS likes this.
  5. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Many Thanks Huw !
  6. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Serhan, for this sort of work Super Sculpey is probably as good a material as any, but just be careful with baking it as Super Sculpey has a tendency to crack.
    If you are planing to cast it, you could always use modelling wax.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    SERHAN OFLAS likes this.
  7. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Gary,

Thank you for info. I am planning to cast it according to result but with resin.

I am not so sure, may be wax masters for tin or metal copies but I will check for modelling wax.

I did not encounter problem with baking till now but I will keep it case in mind.

[IMG]

I forgot to note plate dimensions : 11 x 9 cm.

Are there any standarts for such flat plates like scales in 3D figures ?

Thanks for looking,

Cheers.
    Martin64 and Rich Sculpts like this.
  8. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    I don't think there are any set scales for bas reliefs, but I know that with Flats 30 mm is the generally accepted standard size. If you are planning to do this type of work, you might do well to contact planet member Rich Sculpts.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Rich Sculpts and SERHAN OFLAS like this.
  9. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Gary,

30 mm. is so small for me I belive. Thank you for reply.

Probably I am gonna make mould for this when its ready..

[IMG]

Cheers,
    Serhan
  10. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Gary I only work to one scale - what ever fits on a standard ceramic wall tile ;)

Serhan, try mixing Fimo professional into the Super Sculpey, it makes the clay a little softer but stops it being so flaky, I use a 1 part Fimo to 4 parts Super Sculpey. Great to see your work, so pleased to see more people taking up relief sculpting (y)

Rich
    garyhiggins likes this.
  11. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Mr. Odell,

Thank you for the tip you given. I will check Fimo. Is there some special type of Fimo or just simply plain Fimo I will look for?

Thank you (y)

Cheers,
    Serhan
  12. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Serhan look for this version of Fimo, I make the one part of Fimo from a little bit of white and green then add it to the grey Sculpey, it makes it a greenish grey colour that gives better definition when sculpting.

uploadfromtaptalk1438184257721.jpg
    garyhiggins and SERHAN OFLAS like this.
  13. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Mr.Odell,

Many thanks for the help !

Serhan.
    garyhiggins and Rich Sculpts like this.
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Serhan,
    Great start and if you pull this off it will be one fantastic piece. Even more so when it's painted, this will be a great challenge for a painter but beyond me. Good luck with this.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
  15. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Richie.

Thank you for your comment and encouragement. I will also paint one of the copies.

Cheers,
    Serhan
    Rich Sculpts and garyhiggins like this.
  16. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
  17. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    [IMG]

Some update...
    Huw63 likes this.
  18. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    [IMG]

Today's result..
    Huw63 likes this.
  19. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Serhan, we can't keep you down it appears! Another good job. What I would do is have a rest and come back. Try having a think about the perspective on the face. The mouth and chin don't appear to be 100% aligned. It looks like the right hand side of the mouth is raised when compared to the left side (as we look at the piece). The lips are also a little bit too full. Getting lips correct in such a sculpt is extremely difficult to get right. I know this from experience. It also appears as if the face is turned slightly away from the viewer when in the original it's straight on.

Sculpting a female or a child is probably the most difficult thing to do in sculpting and you have done a very good job thus far. I realise as well that I am critiquing a photo on a computer monitor and not the real thing so it may be better in the flesh.

I always enjoy your stuff. If I am wrong, please just ignore me and carry on! ;)
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  20. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It may help you to see how thin my flat of George Washington is. Very thin. I also struggled with the mouth and lips as well.

DSCF0243.JPG
    garyhiggins and Rich Sculpts like this.