1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique "someone Had Blundered!"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my Corry free 11th Hussar finished, except for a couple of minor touchups and a base label. The model will be called "... someone had blunder'd" ....taken from Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brgade poem. I find the Crimea of particular interest as a cusp between Napoleonic uniforms and modern siege conditions.

This is a great model by Moz. I did a crap job on the chin chain. I'm not sure whether the model was intended to come with a chin strap but I couldn't find one.

Painted in oils.

Comments welcome.

Colin
    imagde7.jpg Image1.jpg Image3.jpg Image5.jpg Image6.jpg
    Mark S, Edorta, Edward and 6 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    The face is great Colin captures the painting well as does the whole model, if you are desperate to redo the chin chain I'd suggest rolling and flattening fuse wire but it's ok as it is mate.
    Steve
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Agreed, it looks great. The chin scales don't look too bad at all Colin but I'm sure you could improve on them if you wanted.

Roger.
  4. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    I like the way you did this figure!!! Don't see nothing wrong with the chin chain, is very nice! Great Work

Regards
    Pedro
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Another excellent piece from you Colin.
    Carl.(y)
  6. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    I like the face, the blues, the reds... in fact, I like everything!!!
    Excellent job, Colin!(y)
    How big is this little fella?
    Looks great! Can't wait to see this very nice piece!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks all - the figure is a 75mm from Moz, which I got as a bonus figure but which is now available retail from MMM. The chin chain was done quickly in Duro because I wanted to move on to another figure (always a bad thing) and I made it too wide. Looks worse than it is when viewed in photos though (like most things ..... including me).

This is my fave of Moz's Crimea figures so far as I have always had a liking for the 11th (Lord Cardigan's regiment). A bust of Lt. Alexander Dunn of the 11th is on my sculpt list - Canada's 1st VC won in the charge.

On the desk top currently are Tommy's War # 3 (Capt 4th Royal Fusiliers), Mike's 110mm Sailor Malan by Poste Militaire and Andrea's 54mm Henry VIII as a gift for a friend of my wife.

Cheers

Colin
  8. DaveG Active Member

United-States
    Great looking figure Colin. I particularly like the face and all that busy uniform detail. Nice work.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Fantastic job overall Colin... A fine rendition of one of Cardigan's "Cherrybums"
    Great character and eye for detail. The only thought I might add is, if this fellow was unhorsed and returned to roll call on foot, he may be a little more scuffed up. If he dismounted after returning... nevermind :D

Either way... the paint work is great. Bringing this to London?

Colin
  10. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Excellent "cherry picker" Colin. The painting is fantastic, and the chin scales work just fine.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Fabulous paintwork Colin.

marc
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    My view on this MINIATURE is based on a painting of ture by Lady Vytler.!
    Actually show a moment and Horror Games after the advent of 4th Light Dragoons and 11th Chyssars under the order of by Lord George Paget.
    Indeed with the painting in person showed some evidence of this.
    Maybe some smearing of mud to the match!

Alexandros
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully painted figure. I thought the 11th (PAO) Hussars had maroon (cherry) breeches, and the 10th had red. He might have lost his busby chin scales in the charge, otherwise rolled and flattened fuse wire makes a good alternative.

Mike
    sarouman likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mike - cherry isn't really the same colour as maroon - that would be too dark. Often 11th hussar trousers are painted scarlet and that is IMO too orange. I used carmine as my base for his pants but the difference between the barrel sash (red) and the trouser colour doesn't show in my crappy photos.

I will add a little scuffing and weathering to him at some point.

Colin - still 50:50 on London but if I go, he does.

Colin
  15. Mark S Guest

Nice work, Colin.