1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Sir George Mccrae - 16th Royal Scots Somme

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my McCrae bust finished in acrylics. Scale = 1/6. Sculpted in super sculpey.

Colin

Attached Files:

Grod, napoleonpeart, Richie and 5 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice paintwork.

marc
  3. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thats really nice mate, what did you use to paint it? I only ask because it looks like a portrait if you understand what I mean? :confused:
  4. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice Colin! I love it! It is again that thing which I can't pinpoint. It is in his eyes, head posture... I don't know, but looks great!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Turned out great, Colin. It looks fantastic. Very nice sculpting and paintwork
    Cheers
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Completely acrylics Taff - Vallejo and Liquitex pro with some Golden brand. Liquitex and Citadel inks as well. My style on my larger pieces is to let brush strokes show and to try to get a portrait-like feel....so I guess it worked. Thanks all for the nice remarks.

Colin
  7. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    No worries mate, its well earnt.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent finish Colin.
    Carl.(y)
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent finish all the way around.
    Cheers
    John
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    Really nice paint and sculpt Colin

Steve
  11. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Fantastic work Colin, I was honoured to see this while the sculpt was still a work in progress (at Ajax) and am still amazed at you talent for creating such a likeness in 3D... Consider my hat tipped. Taking a second run at the paint was a wise idea, the skintones look awesome. Acrylics no less!?!? I thought you were a devout oil man:wideyed:

All round great piece!!

Colin the Younger of Scarberia
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I move back and forth between acrylics and oils as the mood takes me Colin although I think my experience with this has settled me on acrylics for large scale busts. The oils just didn't look right. This one still needs a coat of dullcoat or similar but after my last fiasco I will test it carefully on another figure first. As you can see from the sheen in his khaki, there is a need to unify the finish yet. It s amazing how hard it is to find dullcoat out in the burbs these days when one doesn't have easy access to a good hobby store like the Sentry. Either they don't carry it or they are out of stock. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the comments.

Colin the older ....and less wise given the loss of all 4 wisdom teeth last Thursday.....and yes it still hurts :-o
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    Tamiya X21 Colin mix it with an acrylic varnish and bingo, only use a small amount though as a rule of thumb 10-15% seems to work for me (y)

Steve
  15. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Turned out great Colin well done. Merry Christmas.

Scotty
    crf likes this.
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    I have really enjoyed your project from the initial idea, sculpting, painting, restripping and painting again. A worthy tribute, be very proud of what you have achieved looks excellent.
    Whats next mate?
    cheers
    Richie
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Richie - I have my eye on Admiral Canaris in bust form next....a couple of other to do list ideas include CSA General Pat Cleburne and Lt. Alexander Dunn VC 11th Hussars (Canada's first VC in the Charge of the Light Brigade). I will post in progress shots of whatever mission I launch. :)

Colin
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    I will keep a look out for these.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    OUCH!!! Can I interest you in any of my assorted post-knee replacement painkillers... I have them ALL! :sneaky::LOL::ROFLMAO:
    Hope you heal before the Christmas Roast Beast Feast

C
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Just a word of thanks to you Scotty on the very useful rereferences you provided in my first posting on this sculpt. They were VERY useful. Hope your sculpting project goes well.

Colin