1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Signaller 1918 Stormtroopers.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Nov 27, 2014.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Bought this at Euro last time and couldn't resist starting painting it.
    As Mark Bennet did some awesome painting on this I try to duplicate it :ROFLMAO:.
    So this is as far as I am. What do you guys think: A beard or not a beard.Painting the eyebrows more or not.
    Tell me something what is wrong to improve. Moustache and hair is wet.
    All painted with oils.

IMG_1444.JPG IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1446.JPG
    Maciej, BigDaddy, Scotty and 12 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    I like very much the fleshtones Marc. A very promising start sir.
    Leave him like these. ;)

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice skintones Marc. I think the eyebrows need a bit more paint otherwise I think he's good to go (y)

How did you do the lips? It's one of the things I struggle with.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    The lips are done with skintone (mix from Napel Yellow Deep, Burnt Sienna and White) with a thinny-little-thinny amount of cadmium red. This is blended into the skintone on the lips.

Marc
    Eludia likes this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very, very nice indeed Marc. Maybe a bit more highlighting on the hair on the left side of his head, but aside from that I'd be very happy with it as-is. Sometimes the hardest part of a paint is knowing when to stop.

- Steve
  6. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Did you use oils or acrylics?
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Marc, I'm probably adding too much red to my mix as what I usually get is akin to The Joker. I'll try your "thinny-little-thinny" approach (I'm presuming that's dutch for "a smidgen") ;)
    Scotty likes this.
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks very nice Marc , you could go with the current trend of a five O clock shadow and deep shadows to the hollows of the cheek bones.
    But personally I would leave it as it is (y)

Ron
    Wings5797 likes this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start with this one mark,like the flesh colours as well,look forward to seeing more of this progress
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A great start Marc.
    You have really captured the character in this face.
    Nice work,
    Keith
  11. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Hi Marc,
    For the beard I am going to say yes because the man has a mustache. So, do it with a light wash of base color mix with a tip of black and green. The face will be imho more living.
    Regards
    Pascal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.figurines-h-p.net
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guys for the positive feedback.
    @ Richard: I'm a old guy and use oils.
    @ Billy: it means a little bit, a thiny spot or something similair.

Marc
  13. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Marc,

Yes, I'm an old guy too and love oils, but I've just come out of a 15 year break from the hobby and thought I'd try acrylics. It's been, er.....interesting!
  14. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hello Marc my friend. That's very nicely done. Excellent flesh tones.

Xenofon
  15. REVENGE Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Een mooie start Marc. de wenkbrauwen mogen wat zwaarder. maar voor de rest super .

schildergekke groeten Ronny:eek:
  16. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good Marc.I would suggest darkening the eyebrows and adding a highlight to the top of his lip.I would add a very dark stain of your flesh colour between his face and where the collar meet as it will tend to make the face stand out more,and maybe the eyes are a wee bit too white.A thinned reddish colour would sort that out.
    These points are all minor tune ups of a very good face that you've painted Marc.There the type of things i would do wet on dry.

Brian
  17. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Like the fleshtone.
  18. swralph A Fixture

Looking good,how about a catchlight in the eyes.
    Ralph.
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks for the positive comments guys.
    @ Ronnie, Zal de wenkbrauwen wat zwaarder aanzetten. De sculpt ervan is niet zo mooi, misschien wat krasjes in de klomp resin geven voor wat textuur.
    @ Brian: Thanks for the tips. As far as the eyewhite goes: I did some red into the corners of the eye but the pictures have lost that. Should I do more???
    @ Ralph: Instead of catchlight into the eyes I use a gloss varnisch when completely dry. A catchlight looks akward for me. If you look at the figure from another angle then straight forward they always look crosseyed with a catchlight.

Marc
    swralph likes this.
  20. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I see now since i looked at the bigger picture that you've got a red tint in his eyes.I would just leave it like that.
    Brian