1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Should we have a PF "shop" ....your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by john crawford, Jun 3, 2017.

1. john crawford Active Member

I think we should have a PF shop /swap shop
    save trolling the net and would help support PF
    john
    Inaki likes this.
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Clearly this would have to be based on trust for it to work, but not a bad idea. I would be interested.

Mark
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    John

We have the Marketplace where you can sell stuff and put swaps on as well though it's mostly selling .

Be interested in how this would help support PF are you perhaps suggesting financially ?

Nap
  4. john crawford Active Member

Yes Nap ,financially was my intention , I understand we have the market place , but a PF shop , with PF goods , I was only thinking
    john
    MCPWilk likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    John

As Mark says an interesting idea be interested to hear others ideas ...we could also have shirts , advertising material etc ...but a lot to think about

Come everybody lets gave your thoughts and ideas on the feasibility of this , how woukd it be controlled etc , who would be overall responsible ....

Nap
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Probably the best way to go with this is to have authorised Planet Figure designs and to have authorised representatives in Europe, North America, Australia & New Zealand etc. to purchase shirts, mugs etc. and sell them their areas to cover their costs and purchase new stock
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice idea.......but...
    The logistics to my mind make it impractical.
    If we look at a pF polo shirt for example, to keep costs sensible you'd have to restrict colour options probably black. Then you've got sizes to consider and production runs. Add to this arranging production, packaging and distribution and possibly tax returns is there anyone really wanting the hassle????
    Seem to remember a few years back a pF member produced polo shirts in light blue but with unfortunate timing used the old logo just as the new one came out. I hope sales covered his outlay but I've never seen anyone wearing one.
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Maybe an annual, or twice-yearly PF-only figure? We all like buying figures, after all.....
    It'd keep costs low, perhaps as a result of a poll to decide the subject.
    All proceeds going to PF. Just a suggestion.
    And as always with such things, it'd be great to see different painted versions of it.
    Landrotten Highlander, 1969 and DEL like this.
  9. john crawford Active Member

Great Idea
    sorry my quote is playing up
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I had approached the old owner of PF, Gordy for permission to use the then current logo for the shirts, which he gave. Unfortunately, there was no indication at that time that there was to be an updated logo, but it would not be a huge outlay to change it, should it be required. Providing that there is support, it is possible to do, but orders were very few, relative to the membership.(y)
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Don't you have contacts with a certain garment factory that caters for the ummm "niche" market?
    DEL and billyturnip like this.
  12. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I'm with Del on this one. We really need to think this issue through and the implications involved in establishing a PF shop.

The original post talks about a PF shop/ swop shop to save trolling the net and would help support PF. ( Since clarified as financial support). There are a few questions that need careful answering.

Trolling for what, and is establishing a PF shop going to meet the need (as yet unspecified), and save people from trolling the net? From my experience on PF, one simply has to ask a question about where can one purchase a product and there will be immediate answers from members with links as to where it can be acquired ? One doesn't need to troll to find a product - simply ask the members what you are looking for, and where to purchase it.

Financial support for PF - don't the advertisements provide financial support, and how about becoming PF supporter?

As for swopping - what is it that the Markets and Commissions forum doesn't achieve in this regard? Is a shop going to overcome the problem? If it isn't there to be swopped - shop or no shop - then one is going to have to search the net to find someone who wants to swop.

As for a shop itself, are we suggesting PF also becomes a commercial enterprise? Because that is what a shop is all about. What products is the shop going to sell, who is going to accept the responsibility for organising and administering it, with all the intendant risks and hassles with commissioning and purchasing products, maintaining inventories and catalogues, selling and posting them out, maintaining insurances, registering a business (because legally that is what it will be), together with all the accountancy and financial responsibilities, etc, etc, associated with it? Is PF going to go into competition with the PF members who produce figures, etc commercially and already provide us with product through their sites? If not, what will the shop actually achieve for members? Finally, do we have a sufficiently large clientele to support a shop as a financially viable proposition?

Just a few things to think about.

To my mind lets get on with what the forum is about - sharing figure painting and sculpting works by members, exchanging ideas, a place to sell, buy and swop figures if they are available, news on new products as they become available, and providing advice to fellow members on a range of subjects and products

Chris
  13. Inaki Active Member

Spain
    John's proposal is brilliant...
    I use the market place a lot and I wouldn't mind that a pound/figure sold remained at PF.
    I'm truly grateful to PF and the generosity of its members, selling and buying at good prices.
    Having said that, no clue about how this can be done. Perhaps a tag linking to a paypal transfer at the Markets place?
    Otherwise, it could be done personally. In fact, I see there's a possibility of being a PF supporter, isn't it?

Best regards and my best wishes to London people today. Hope we'll also manage to do something real about this soon , all together.. whatever but flowers and candles.

Iñaki
  14. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Simple answer nope.

We already have the means of swapping/selling now.

I don't see any benefit, we all shop on line anyway.
    Even if we found some souvenirs to buy, someone has to
    order hold and ship the stock most of us wouldn't want/need anyway

It just adds another on line shop to no purpose.

Sorry.

Paul.
    Chrisr, Jeff T, napoleonpeart and 5 others like this.
  15. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Let traders do the traders
    And forumers make forums
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    This thread brings up a question I've been wondering about and not that it's a big deal. But I remember when I became a member; Gordy was the so called owner/operator (if that is the proper title). I was just wondering who is the guy or group now and how does it work......Just curious.

Wayne
    peedee likes this.
  17. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    O.K. ...I'll just assume it's the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
    mick3272 and peedee like this.
  18. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    "Foresters" or maybe "Masons" :LOL:

It's a guy in the States? by the name of Pavel? I know nothing more, maybe Kevin Peart can elaborate.
  19. john crawford Active Member

To Chrisr ,
    a simple yae or nae would have sufficed and to quote " and how about becoming PF supporter? "
    well as soon as I think I can fit in to this community , as I have been here a short time , not even finished 1 project , and seriously thinking its not for me ,
    but I can assure you if , fitting in to the community , been here a wee bit longer , finished a project , and then decided , yeah i like painting models ,
    then i can assure you i will support PF
    john
    Blind Pew likes this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

IMO it's too much of a potential issue with far too many ifs and buts to think of ...as jai said .....let traders do the trade ..so for me it's a Nay .

Wayne ...As far as I knw the site is run Admin wise etc by a guy from Canada called Pawel ..always helpful he has been made aware of this thread so maybe he can say more

John ...I am sure you fit into PF very well , looking forward to seeing your project ...why not do a SBS in the V Bench on it , the main thing is enjoy it ....feel free to pm me if you wish .

Nap