1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Shhh! - Trench Raid / Somme 1916 - Part 1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Great SBS, Very inspirational.
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    May thanks marc,the mix is from a new book i picked up from amazon abiut painting flesh in oils,
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Ventress for your kind coments,glad you like it
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,many tganks for your kind coments,i'm glad youre liking the project,hopefully things will move along a little quicker now as i havnt had much time with shiftwork and my daughters wedding last weekend,im fine thanks mate,looking forward now to euro militaire,i can only attend the show for one day this year,are you coming down ?
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following on from my last posting I have now completed the trench signs and I'm about 80% complete on the german bust.

The trench signs I wanted to add I found on the web,one of the signs I found very appropriate for this scene so I went ahead and made these from scratch,i used plasticard for the signs and once primed in grey I basecoated in different shades of acrylic and once this was dry I added a thin coat of umber oil,i then removed most of this with a sponge and finshed the wood in oils,i put this aside for a couple of days and once touch dry I finished the letters in acrylic paint.

trench.jpg trench2.png trench next stage 001.JPG
    trench next stage 001.JPG trench next stage 004.JPG trench next stage 005.JPG trench next stage 007.JPG trench next stage 007.JPG trench next stage 008.JPG trench next stage 059.JPG trench next stage 061.JPG trench next stage 062.JPG trench next stage 063.JPG

Attached Files:

6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Crap they look real! Blown away.

Colin
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Colin,hold on mate I'm having problems loading my pictures mate,the ones you've just seen are the real ones,i need to post my updates in stages as I've had problems before,i used to type a lot of text and then upload the photo's and then I'd lose the lot through something going wrong on the PC
    crf likes this.
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I have now completed about 80% of the painting on the german bust,i have added base coats to the shovel and equipment and the hands, I still have the rifle to complete as well in the next few days,i just have some final touch ups in the face area to complete but I'm very happy to where I am at present,i've really enjoyed this bust and i've really taken my time with it as I wanted to give it the best finished result I could and as much detail as I could,this is one aspect of painting and weathering figures or busts I really enjoy,trying to make it right and place it in its correct time and setting.

trench next stage 039.JPG trench next stage 040.JPG trench next stage 041.JPG trench next stage 042.JPG trench next stage 044.JPG trench next stage 045.JPG trench next stage 047.JPG trench next stage 048.JPG trench next stage 049.JPG trench next stage 050.JPG trench next stage 052.JPG trench next stage 054.JPG trench next stage 055.JPG trench next stage 057.JPG trench next stage 058.JPG

The mix I use for the WW1 field grey is:
    Basecoat - GW / Death World Forest
    Oils - Black + White + small amount of Yellow,for the shadows I add more umber and touch of black,for the highs I add white to the base mix but not much,only enough to lighten it.

Brian
    Wings5797, NickM, Richie and 5 others like this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sorry smudge.....still blown away unless that is a half a real storm trooper you found lying about :) your signs look great. Perhaps not as real as the real ones but pretty nice!

Colin
  10. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    It's simply a great work Brian! I like it very much!
    The final piece must be amazing!

Regards
    Pedro
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian,
    Just checking in, now that's a stormtrooper mate. Top draw work and not an ounce too much weathering, absolutely nailed so far.(y)(y)(y)
    cheers
    Richie
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    excellent progress.

Marc
  13. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Great work Brian, I think you put as much effort into the settings as the sculptor puts into the figures.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Richie likes this.
  14. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    First rate work Brian, can't wait to see this all come together.

Cheers Davie
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Brian,

Brilliant concept and painting a definitely winner in my books , really like the setting you have done

Looking forward to more

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Brian,

As with the others who have commented on this thread, I'm blown away by the quality of your painting . If I can make one suggestion it would be to weather the hands of face with dirt and sweat streaks to match the general level of mud and dirt on the uniforms and sell the squalor of the trenches.

Great work mate, keep up the good work.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Good time for me to pitch in again Brian ......no surprises here......I knew the project would be good but taken as a stand alone the work on the Stormtrooper is absolutely outstanding.
    I really think that this will be something very special when the elements all come together.
    An absolute pleasure to watch the progress (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  18. carl reid A Fixture

England
    I have to echo everyone else mate!
    Absolutely top draw Bri!

Can't wait to see the end result!

Carl
  19. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    it's come on very well indeed love the Stormtrooper can't wait to see the end result well done.

Ian
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Colin,I'm glad you like the signs,thanks for your kind comments mate