1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shep Paine's current condition / R.I.P. Shep

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by theBaron, Jul 29, 2015.

1. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    It's with concern that I share this email that we received from Dick Pielin and Joe Berton of the MMSI, regarding Shep:

"Dear Friends and Members,

On Monday morning our good friend, Shep Paine, suffered a stroke. Joe Berton went to pick him up for our weekly "Breakfast Club" and found him near his bed, conscious but unresponsive. Joe called 911 right away, staying with Shep until the paramedics arrived. The emergency team stabilized him and transported him to the closest hospital, Community First Medical Center. During the day Shep completed numerous tests and the medical staff are accessing his condition now. Early indications point to a serious stroke. The doctors will continue to evaluate his condition with several more scans and tests.

Right now Shep seems comfortable, in stable but critical condition. He is sedated. He also has a breathing tube and they are dealing with his kidney dialysis. They have his complete medical history. The staff is very caring and considerate.

He will not be having visitors yet. More information will be available as the doctors determine the severity of the stroke.

Please keep Shep in your thoughts and prayers.

Joe Berton
    Dick Pielin"
  2. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Joe/Dick/Brad:

Although sad and worrisome, thank you so much in keeping us abreast of our friend and mentor's condition.

Definitely in my thoughts

Paul
    martin tabony, ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  3. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Sad news. Let's all pray he recovers quickly!
    I wouldn't be painting figs or building models if it wasn't for his books. I've never met him but I think I owe the man a lot.
    Gary
    MCPWilk and ChaosCossack like this.
  4. Graham A Fixture

England
    Sad news, we can only hope he remains comfortable and begins his recovery.
  5. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hope for the best for him.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    Mike S. likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very sad news to hear.
    I also hope the best for him, but with my medic knowledge I think he is going trough the eye of a needle.
    Hope for him and his familly he has a total recovering.

marc
  7. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very sad news and hoping he makes a good recovery but as with strokes is anyones guess...
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Sad news indeed our thoughts are with Shep ...one of greatest modellers IMO ......

.......wishing him a speedy recovery

Nap
  9. Jimdero Member

An update from Shep's family: Since the news is beginning to spread here, on Facebook and elsewhere, Shep suffered a bad stroke on Monday. The outpouring of concern and well-wishes here and elsewhere has already been overwhelming and very much appreciated by his three sisters and those of us at his side. He is in stable but critical condition, and the next few days will be vital to his future. Shep has always been a private man when sharing details about his health, and he is unable to communicate now, so we must do it for him. Because he is loved and considered a friend by so many, we will pass along any news once there is definitive word to share. Until then, please keep him in your thoughts.
  10. Huw63 A Fixture

Sad news about one of the greats of our world. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

My best wishes to Shep

Huw
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is terrible news,I can only hope he makes a full recovery,I don't know Shep personally but his books were a huge inspiration for me in the late 80s and taught me so much about Modeling,a true legend in our field,get well soon Shep,my thoughts are with you and your family.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  12. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Shep was one of my first inspirations. He tought me through the Monogram leaflets that you could to so much more with a model than the instructions suggested and make it a contribution to history and events long ago. His book is still valid to many of us.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  13. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    His name was among the first I heard of . When I got into the figure game sad news but glad you posted it wish him and his family the best
    Huw63 likes this.
  14. Apismo1 New Member

Sad news indeed. Shep is for a lot of us the man who made the hobby an art. His talent and skill knocked us out and just when you thought he hit his mark out came something even more fantastic.
    Hoping for a recovery, all the best.
    MCPWilk and Huw63 like this.
  15. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    I remember a quote from John Lennon "Before Elvis there was nothing".

Well, before Shep there was nothing.

Bob
    Range Rat, MalcC, crf and 3 others like this.
  16. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    I met him in Glasgow at the world expo 2000, I thought he wouldn't want to speak to me,as nobody knew me and I was in a hall with the worlds best,but when I told him it was my first show and how much of an inspiration he was, he asked to see my models and was very informative on how to improve them with little tricks and tweaks,it was worth going to the show,just for that.i hope he recovers soon . best wishes to him and his family./badger
  17. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Deeply saddened to hear of Shep's condition. He has been, and continues to be an inspiration to so many. Prayers and all the best wishes for him and his family.

Joe
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Our best wishes to Shep, his family and friends at this most difficult time.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I met Shep at Model Expo in Melbourne back in the early 90's. He struck me as a very humble and sincere man who loved sharing his passion for modelling with others. Sad to hear this news and my thoughts are with him. I hope he makes a full recovery. Through his books he has inspired tens of thousands of modellers around the world.
  20. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    His work was truly inspiring and like many others who have posted, my modelling would not be where it is today without that inspiration.

I hope he recovers enough to return home and appreciate the tremendous esteem in which he is held by those who never met him other than through his modelling as well as by his friends and family.

Mike