1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shading and highlighting red

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by 4th Cuirassier, May 10, 2017.

1. 4th Cuirassier New Member

United-States
    Hi all

Long time no post...

I am working on a 1/12 Airfix Beefeater (well, on and off) and having a bit of trouble shading and highlighting the red tunic. This is using Vallejo acrylics with a brush. I find adding flesh tone to the red works well on highlights but I am struggling to come up with a suitable shade tone. Black is wrong, if I use brown the red stops looking like red, and likewise if I use blue it changes the colour. What do others do?
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I can only speak for oils, but the principles are the same.
    Shading red is done with green.
    Highlight is done with yellow.

Marc
    dfmoss, theBaron and anstontyke like this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    if your using acrylics, use a dark red brown for shading and with a little black added for the deep creases. the highlights, I use red with a little yellow almost a yellow scarlett.
    Hope that helps. or use these.

AK3140-300x300.jpg red set.jpg
    I can't speak for the AK set but I have used the Andrea set and have had good results
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Being an oil guy, I'm with Marc with shading using green to green+black. However, for highlighting I use W&N Scarlet or Flesh if I want a more faded/worn look
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I cheat and do it with the airbrush then go in and tidy up with oils or acrylics depending on the size of the figure.
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I used to mix in a bit or prussian blue with the red. The amount used depends on how much shadow you want with the transition from the darkest point to the outer lighter point. I now use the Andrea red paint set and although seems lazy everything works first time for me.

Cheers
    Tommi
    mark126804, anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  8. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I use acrylics and have had success using dark green for shading. Bob
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The difficulty with red is highlighting it without making it look faded or washed out.
    I tend to start off using a darker shade than you'd expect for my 'base' shade. I then add red getting light as starting off darker gives me 'some where to go'. I hope this makes sense.
    When shading I use Manganese Blue Hue.
  10. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    When you mix the darker shade or lighter tint try to 'warm' the colour with a touch of brown or ochre . Shading and highlighting
    red is always tricky so keep your shades and tints on the 'warm' side so they balance tonally against the main colour.

This isn't really relevant to 'Beefeaters' but I think it's worth remembering for other projects.... Humble rankers invariably
    wore tunics of a different 'red' to Officers. The cheaper, inferior cloth used for their stuff tended to have a brownish caste - more
    of a brick red compared to the Officers more scarlet tint.
    anstontyke, MCPWilk and billyturnip like this.
  11. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    I agree with Blind Pew in that mixing a darker basic colour is always advisable regardless what the colour straight from the tube or bottle is. Escpecially with red.

Working in oils (and painting mainly Ancient and Medieval subjects) a typical red would be composed of cadmium red to which (according to need) quantities of crimson, burnt umber, gold ochre or naples yellow are added. For highlighting I would probably add naples yellow but also a small amount of white. For dark shading quantities of green work best.
    anstontyke and Jeff T like this.