1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SEMPER FIDELIS MINIATURES - Bavarian Infantryman 1870

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by SEMPERFIDELIS68, Feb 16, 2018.

1. SEMPERFIDELIS68 Well-Known Member

Spain

Attached Files:

2. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really nice, harkening back to the outstanding quality of this company's first couple offerings.
    SEMPERFIDELIS68 likes this.
  3. SEMPERFIDELIS68 Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks you Ometz! ;)
  4. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. SUPER ANTO Well-Known Member

Spain
    Absolutely stunning paint work on this figure.

:). :). :)
  6. Vitalino A Fixture

Well done

beautiful figure and paintwork!!!

Vitalino
  7. SEMPERFIDELIS68 Well-Known Member

Spain
    Mil gracias Vita mi buen amigo!
    Vitalino likes this.
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Wonderful figure!

I must confess, I had always imagined the Bavarians 1870/71 much brighter than the Prussians - like this:

[IMG]

But when I have a look at other old templates and even the Reenactors the blue is allright!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    martin tabony, Huw63, Jaybo and 2 others like this.
  9. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    very nice figure. Nice colors.
    Ben
  10. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    That's a great photo, Martin, thanks for posting. They really do look the part, and it's a picture I'm saving for reference, as I'm shortly going to be working on some 1870/71 Prussian and Bavarian chaps. Just got to finish off the Frenchies first.

Alan
    Huw63 likes this.
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Alan!

If you want, I'll post here more pics with Bavarian Reenactors...

Cheers
    Jaybo likes this.
  12. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I think Martin is correct. Bavarian cornflower blue was actually darker than the typical 'Sky Blue' that artists & figure painters have often employed. This is very well demonstrated in the excellent book published by the Bayerisches Armeemuseum in 2015 'Napoleon und Bayern'. The same can be said about 'bleu de ciel' of the French 5th Hussars. But that is another entirely different discussion.
    Perhaps there should be a permanent thread on discussing (and debating) the authentic shade of various military colors?
    Huw63 likes this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Two original pieces from 1870/71...:

Bavarian Infantry (shown at Bayerisches Armeemuseum Ingolstadt)...:

[IMG]

Prussian Infantry...:

[IMG]

Cheers
  14. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have been to the Armee Museum at Ingolstadt. I only wish that I could see the other 'goodies' that my friend got to see with the help of a curator. Outside of the army museums in Paris and Vienna, it is my favorite.
  15. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    One further point, we in the 20/21st centuries are used to chemically based dyes. They largely maintain their color. Obviously, those were not available to cloth manufacturers in the 18-19th centuries. They of course, depended on vegetable/ plant based materials for dyes. I remember the late great Col. Elting telling me at a conference years ago, that French Dragoon green was actually first dyed dark blue and then yellow (I could have that backwards) to achieve the correct 'dark green'. For you doubters, look at the remaining habit of the Chasseurs a Cheval of Napoleon that has been recently restored. It is dark BLUE!
    a bientot mes amis.....
    martin tabony and Martin Rohmann like this.
  16. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    (y);) Thanks, Martin, great stuff, and a huge help. And when I get the shades of "Cornflower" blue worked out, I'm going to commit them to the little book of formulae :rolleyes:
    In contrast to my usual haphazard method ; a bit of this , a bit of that......Ooo, yuk, it's 'orrible !

Alan
    Huw63 and Martin Rohmann like this.
  17. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia

Many thanks for the uniform references Martin. They are greatly appreciated.

Chris
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  18. Huw63 A Fixture

Great figure with superb references. Thanks all.

Cheers

Huw
  19. Huw63 A Fixture

And the blue of the first Hussars is also, according to some references, supposed to be darker than that usually depicted.

I like the idea of this thread, especiially as I'm attending some art training on the theme of pigments at the moment.

Cheers

Huw
  20. SEMPERFIDELIS68 Well-Known Member

Spain
    This photo with more light show the figure with the blue aspect "more real".
    Thanks a lot for all for the good reception of the figure.
    In brief more news... Stay tuned!
    ;)

Attached Files:

Martin Rohmann and OldTaff like this.