1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Second try at large scale busts

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Joseph Chaya, May 18, 2014.

1. Joseph Chaya Member

Lebanon
    This is my second try at a large scale bust. Just painted it like the box art. Tried harder to blend the face tones following some suggestions received for my first bust effort. Sorry about the harsh light in the pictures and the shallow depth of field.

Attached Files:

• AB1.jpg
      AB1.jpg
      File size:
      458.3 KB
      Views:
    • AB2.jpg
      AB2.jpg
      File size:
      115.2 KB
      Views:
    • AB3.jpg
      AB3.jpg
      File size:
      169.9 KB
      Views:
    Tonton, DEL, Stephan and 5 others like this.
  2. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Joseph

What paints are you using?

Neil
  3. Joseph Chaya Member

Lebanon
    Hi Neil

Mostly Vallejo with some Andrea, all acrylics.

J.
  4. lopee Active Member

Czech-Republic
    I like it, I think black tunic and red cross looks better than white tunic and black cross. It is really nice! (y)
    Greetings,
    Martin
  5. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Neil
    That's a cracking job mate , and I agree the black tunic and Red Cross really looks very good .
    Cheers Chris
  6. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely done - the eyes are very good.
    Cheers
    Mat
  7. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    You could try oil over acrylic to help blend better or stick with the acrylics and add some blending medium most of the paint manufactures do one

Cheers

Neil
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Really well done, you have your own distinct style and the work on the Tunic, leathers etc is first class. I like the face, maybe a bit red, but that could be the camera, the contrasts make it pop nicely, maybe a little more highlight to soften the red? apart from that ...love it.

Keith
  9. swralph A Fixture

Nicely painted
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good paintwork on this bust.

Marc
  11. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Not bad for your 2nd bust.

cheers zane
  12. Joseph Chaya Member

Lebanon
    Hi Neil

By blending medium you mean acrylic retarders? I haven't had any experience with those but I shall try them for my next project.

J.
  13. Joseph Chaya Member

Lebanon
    Hi Keith,

The red tone is intentional but in reality it's not as apparent as in the pictures. It's probably the awful lighting that I used (just a warm colour ceiling lamp).

J.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi J ,

I use W & N Blending medium ..others retarders are available !!!!

Nap
  15. Joseph Chaya Member

Lebanon

Perfect as W&N products are available in Lebanon, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

J.
  16. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Exellent.
    It look like battle tired soldiers.
    Im very impresed.
    Cheers
  17. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I think it is an excellent job,although the pics are too dark to get a true look......
    Either way;....just keep pushing to get better,just like we all are.........Regards.......Wayne
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    If I'm honest I think the face could do with an extra level of highlights, especially on the top of the brow, the bridge of the nose and the top of the chin. The face seems slight monotone, which I know it isn't, but that's just the way it looks in the photo. It's hard to explain but those extreme highlights will make the face, especially around the eyes "pop" when you see it.