1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Seaforth Highlander

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Metal Extremo, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try to paint this old reference from The Fusilier. First of all, thanks to Watford, member of this forum and Steve from The Fusililer for their help and interest.
    It's a 75 mm. and the principal view will be something like this
    [IMG]

A great quality in sculpture and casting

[IMG]

[IMG]

The scenary something easy, a mountain ground with big and solid stones

[IMG]

[IMG]

I use to start with the face, but this time, the kilt is the king, in my opinion. The most important part of the miniature, and the part that gives me terror. I painted one kilt some years ago, and got the theme very forgotten. A scottish (well, canadian) with a bad painted kilt it's a desaster. So, the first for once, will be the tartan.

The "no dominant" colour first, terminated.
    [IMG]

The other colour, only aplicated, whitout lights or shadows, and squares drawn
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Tom W. Well-Known Member

Germany
    Where can I buy spraycans with tartan patterns?The fusilier figures are allways a pleasure to paint,specialy the old metal ones.
  3. Edward A Fixture

England
    Good start, I'll be following this. Is this figure still available?
  4. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Sorry Edward. It's not available, is a very old figure. Maybe e-bay...
    Edward likes this.
  5. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    Keep going........you're off to a good start and tartans are not that scary after you finish a couple.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks good so far. Tartans scare the hell outta me.
    I'll be following closely

Colin
  7. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Really good start indeed. I can't wait to see more.

Xenofon
  8. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Thanks mates. I'm glad you like it
    A little more of work

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The colours used

[IMG]

After lights and shadows (only few, the material of which is the kilt and the absence of wrinkles don't allow much contrast) and clear the squares where green lines meet, i've got a problem with green. Too bright. I'll must to give glazes to darken it a bit more. Moreover, the end of the green boxes should not be a fine line, but a thin green band, which will be done aftes glazes.
    I imagine then will have to re-paint shadows, cause they will be eaten by glazes... :mad: Not a fuctiferous afternoon of paint session :grumpy:
    Jamie Stokes, Blind Pew and crf like this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

Looking good.
  10. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Finished kilt

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It's time to work the jacket
  11. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

A little more.
    Today the camera is angry with the world, or only with me, but i can't make decent pictures...
    Cause he is an officer and not at war, i don`t gonna make him weathering or desgast. I suppos he made instruction very clean and proud. Dirty and mud for the soldiers. The uniform and leather are ready to be finished. Only needs some glazes in blue and purple to end. I hope the next time will be better photos. The most "real" of them is the first. The shines are only at the pictures, not in the painting.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

A question. Someone knows where must be the whistle, hidden between the belt and the handgun, or arrond the neck?
  12. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

I'm gonna begin with the face.
    First, made a basic guide of lights and shadows

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Then, clean. After two sessions cleaning and adding hair, few tones, now is here.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Maybe in one session of cleaning more i can finish it.
  13. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

The headless canadian found his head

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

A bit more

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The stick to shepherd the soldiers

[IMG]

[IMG]

Looking for information of canadian mountains, i found photos of beautiful lakes in them, so try to make something similar.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The colours for water are copied to a mate, a spanish who dwells in Norway with the fucking crisis. Thanks Bobby. He use to paint it and put artifical water after. I don't have good relations with artificial water, so i put cermaic varnish to imitate the gloss of water

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The pictures of the scenary are very bad and are moved, but i hadn't time to uphold the camera. Sorry folks.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  16. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Thanks Carl. Very instructive tutorial. I must to study it seriously
  17. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Ok folks. I've got it. Two things to touch that i didn't see 'till watches the pictures (the zoom is the best enemy of the painter) and finished

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

As the previous pictures of the base were so bad and mouved, four news.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Well, everybody is free to oppinate and speak (write). All comments are welcome.
    Edward, BarrieHynd and Jamie Stokes like this.
  18. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Turned out really well, one to be proud of
    Barrie
  19. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Thanks Barrie. I like how it is, but i'm conscious that has a lot of fails. :whistle: