Sculpting log...

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by pokrad, Jan 27, 2018.

1. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Instead of posting in 25 different themes, it might be easier to just dump the stuff into one theme...
    So here is the one to start, the sketching of the head is finished, now I'll start detailing:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Basically it's the Adolf von Schwarzenberg and possible next release of BAM...
    Dan Morton, KenBoyle and myouchin like this.
  2. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Nice start, Darko - but have a look on his moustache...:

[IMG]

Cheers
    pokrad likes this.
  3. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Martin, I have that picture - it's actually a part of newspapers - and the author of illustration never saw the subjects same as I never did :)
    So I use it as rough guide only. There are few other illustrations, and a monument - and he has different type of moustache on that pieces.
    So this can't be portrait as we do not know how it actually looked like - but an interpretation.
    The point is, if I make them this way - I'll have to separate them for casting.
    It might end up that way - but I have to agree with the producer first :) The actual ones have about maximum length that can be casted together with the face :)
  4. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Looking at it, an old PF song comes to my mind:
    "I've got wild staring eyes..."

[IMG]
  5. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  6. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  7. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  8. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  9. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  10. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    [IMG]

The face was not sculpted by me, so credits to the original sculptor which I do not know :)
    Dan Morton likes this.
  11. REMOVED Guest

This insight into the,process is great stuff..THANKS darko
    pokrad likes this.
  12. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  13. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  14. REMOVED Guest

Neat transition towards the etching reference.
    pokrad likes this.
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  16. REMOVED Guest

Long forehead on etching, plus hair seems to go higher and forward on one side vs even, and moustache in etching exaggerated.. but then the etching 2d with view from side glance...and eyes perhaps distorted large. Ears most certainly elongated overly in the etching...

Am enjoying this, so apologies if I don’t make much sense...I really like where you have taken this..and should make for a buildable piece whereas some guys sculpt stuff that’s got way too much going on..and a piece that will be such fun to paint...
  17. REMOVED Guest

Would be wonderful to sit beside you as you work on something like this.
    pokrad likes this.
  18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Well, that illustration has it's problems :) It's made in quarter view, so in perspective the eye that is far from us should be smaller. But it's not :) Then the illustrator tried to fix that, and made huge forehead on far side...
    Then on closer side we can see more or less short hair, and on the far side, that hair that is visible should be aprox. 3 times longer to be visible from that angle... But it's 16 century, and those errors are not so unusual I think. Like an early Picasso - we see what we should see, but we also see the things that we know are there, but should not be visible from that angle.
    That head translated into 3D would be really distorted :) So I am trying to do something in between :)
  19. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Found some Spanish patterns and here how the mask started:

[IMG]

Basically it is a pattern from 16 century Spanish rug with some elements I found on armor :)
    Here how it ended:

[IMG]

Then baked surface noise using UV's and I got this:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  20. REMOVED Guest

The images available seem to be dated after his death...and each seems somewhat different from the other..common theme being big eyes, thin under cheeks...and animated yet commanding look...but portraits were inevitably interpretations..for better or worse. I think you have it...your armour detailing may differ from the etching, but helps place the piece as depicting someone important..and important player at the outset of 30 years wat