1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

sculpt no. 6

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by robert110, May 26, 2015.

1. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    After break , back to sculpting... still having difficult time trying to find proper technique but love every minute spent on sculpting... so here's s new project :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    yeo_64, amcairns, MCPWilk and 6 others like this.
  2. Magnus A Fixture

Wow, what a progress! Great sculpt and likeness of Oddball, fantastic face.Only thing I can see to comment on is that I think that the mustasch is to wide/long from under the nose to the upper lip.
  3. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Magnus.... still trying to fix some things...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    You sculpt the same way I do. Face first....back of the head later. Nice piece and awesome if it's only one of your early ones.
  5. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks, well I lied about number , it's not sculpt no.6 it's sculpt no. 7 :)
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Oh..that explains it then. :)
  7. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Robert, since you've posted on the brutal honesty forum, I assume you're interested in some (hopefully) helpful advice? Here goes. First I think it's obvious you can sculpt, but you say you want to find some proper technique. Well in my opinion you are doing things the wrong way around. I don't think you will progress very far without realising that a face develops from the structure of the head, so the best way to start is to build the head on an armature that you can hold and move around and look at your work from every angle as you are doing it.
    On the sculpting forum there is a great SBS by Carl Ried about sculpting heads, and there are lots of sculpting tutorials over on YouTube that you should find very useful.
    Also, buy yourself a good Artistic anatomy book. There are loads on Amazon, but my recommendation would be either Jeno Barcsay or Dr Paul Richer. A computer screen is fine, but there's nothing like looking through a real book.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  8. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Wow! I'm trying to find my feet in sculpting too. Love what you have done.
  9. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks for comments !
    Gary; I saw Carls SBS , and lots of videos on sculpting and they are very helpfull. First two heads that I have sculpt was done by Carls method and result was sort of ok but there was problem with horizontal alignement of eyes. Than I switch to metod shown on photos. I always start with cube glued on wooden stand . On top of cube I glued two steel balls for eyeballs and from there i build around rest of head. That way eyes works for me like ancor point for further measurement.... they are perfectly aligned and positioned. After I'm satisfied with face I bake it and then continue with back of head and rest of bust... Of course, I still have to learn a lot about anatomy , materials, etc. Trial and error is my way of learning.... and every feedback here is important , thats why i post here in brutal honesty forum. (sorry for my grammatical errors :) )
  10. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Ear covers added just for test... still fighting with this one... hope to refine this part so I can put it to oven ...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. offo A Fixture

Hi, I think the way to work is good. Each sculptor has its method. To do before that of the head and then you make the rear part. And you are able to comply anatomy of the head. So feel free to go on in this way. To help, I manage. Take a photo during work sculptu the same scale to the real photo. And you'll see variations. Every person has distinctive features. It is necessary to imitate them and to capture real sculpte.
    Feel free to PM.
    Palo(y)
  12. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    still working on this one... so here's some progress....

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Mike Stevens, MCPWilk, crf and 4 others like this.
  13. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    wow, to sculpt a head on that way ive never seen before, thanks for showing.
  14. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    R&R is over , back to workbench....
    Stephan, sorry for late replay but this technique is not my invention . I've seen it on some pictures posted by Fex, Crf and few other guy's.. so credit goes to them. I've just try it and find that I have more control over sculpt doing that way....

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Jeff T and garyhiggins like this.
  15. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    This is a very well done piece and catches the likeness effectively. It's good to see how it has moved on. Have you changed the alignment of the neck? In the recent pictures it looks a little stiff in comparison to the previous ones. For future projects you could try to use shorter strokes when sculpting facial hair and have them less straight.
    You must be pleased with how this has come out.
    Richie likes this.
  16. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Fantastic piece..you really got Oddball down
  17. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks for comments !
    Head is one piece and torso is second , so at this stage I try to modify position of head a bit... that is resulting in differences at pictures. Thanks for tips on sculpting facial hair elanlane13 and yes I am really pleased with this one. I hope it show's some progress in my sculpting skills. It's a lots of things ahead that I have to learn / discover about sculpting ....
    cheers Robert
  18. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    some details added ....
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    elanlane13, Richie, Old Pete and 2 others like this.
  19. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Robert,
    I really like what you have achieved(y), I do think a little more attention to detail could lift this again. I only say this as it is in the brutal honesty thread. My observations are based on the beard, it has too much volume under the lip, if you look at the photo, there are two very distinct patches of skin showing. The other is the zip on thee jacket, not detailed enough.
    I saw a zip done on a figure by Mike Good - bonehead on here and it looked like you could actually unzip it. I could not offer a solution to fix this better, but I'm sure Mike could. Keep at it you have a great skill set and a natural aptitude and talent for this.
    cheers
    Richie
    oddball.jpg
  20. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Richie , yes, much more attention to details would be ok. Zip is one to be reworked . Beard is hard to decode , i think on that spots it's not shaved off but it's just brighter color . There is lot's of things that I still don't know how to do but I'm trying.. so every comment like Yours is step forward for me so keep them coming.
    [IMG]