1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

sculpt no. 12

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by robert110, May 13, 2016.

1. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Still alive and trying,
    Here is new one ... Still in progress ... back of the head needs some mass to be added and lots of other little things to be corrected ,. Please be honest and brutal :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Ok, kad nitko drugi neće, ja ću :)

This is sooo much better than previous one.
    Still I see few things that could be better:

Nose is still a bit too big (tip of the nose)
    Lips are much better now (lower lip correctly shaped and "tucked" under upper lip), but generally the corners of the lip should align with the center of the eye - to me they look to small.
    For the younger female face you should try to smooth cheek bones and avoid all harsh lines (more smoothing) - that is if attractive female face is Your goal...
    garyhiggins likes this.
  3. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Darko for tips, taking break from face I have started with body... progress so far ...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    Scotty likes this.
  4. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Some progress.... just rough positioning .. Help needed with hair and cloth folds and wrinkles ... please !!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    garyhiggins and Scotty like this.
  5. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I think that shoulders are wrong. Too big and missing some definition:

[IMG]

Now the next view:
    Stitching from the shirt really goes on the angle you did (orange line),
    but connection of the shoulder to the torso goes on different angle (red line).
    I think this is also reason why shoulders look to big - all the volume of the deltoid is on your sculpt from the orange line to the out, but it should start closer to the red line.
    What helps me is first sketching clavicle, and position deltoid on top of it. Also check the line of the clavicle from the top view. Clavicle is not strait line but curved:

[IMG]

To me it looks that on your sculpt it goes straight to the shoulder and that is also why shoulder has too much volume.
    Wrinkles should generally follow the tension lines, and they are rough sketched in green:

[IMG]

All of this could be completely wrong, I'm just writing what I see ;)
    Dan Morton and Scotty like this.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I agree with everything Darko has said above.

To study drapery, folds, wrinkles I suggest Burne Hogarth's book, Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery, ISBN-13: 978-0823015870. It was recommended to me a few years ago and I still use it as a reference. His book is way over the top showing wrinkles and drapery, but I think it's just his teaching style. Dial it down a bit when you start applying the techniques in putty. If possible, follow up the book with a visit to an art museum that has representational or classic sculptures. See photos below. The first three are from the web and the last is from the First National Bank sculpture garden commemorating the West. Notice the teamster is leaning; see how the folds and wrinkles result from that movement and tension? What are you using/going to use for tools to make folds and wrinkles? Personally I'm still studying and learning this subject and I have a long way to go to equal the real talents on this site!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. Magnifier Member

United-States
    I've been watching your sculpting (silently) for a while. This is your best face yet. Is this from Kill Bill?
  8. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Darko, Dan , Magnifier for comments and tips... I've tried to make some rough corrections on arms and shoulders and here's few pictures. Now I'll take few days r&r and try to read suggested book... than I will continue with this..
    and yes, I'm trying to sculpt Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill .. hope at the end it will look like her.

cheers
    Robert

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    garyhiggins and pokrad like this.
  9. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    After long break continuing with this one... fighting with wrinkles, folds and hair... any tips?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Dan Morton and Dekiman like this.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Could you post the reference photos you are working from? Particularly any close-ups of the face. I think the likeness may be pretty close but will be able to tell more when comparing to the references. I'm always envious of anybody who can do lifenesses which I've never had any success with.

Measure from the centerline of the neck or torso to the edges of each shoulder and check if they are the same distances. The left shoulder (when facing the bust) looks a bit too short and maybe too low also, but just my best guesses from the photos, so I could definitely be wrong. In that stance the left shoulder should naturally be held a little higher than the right. The left shoulder might also naturally move slightly toward the center of the torso with the elbow coming up a bit.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Veoma veoma dobro.
    Meni liči na Umu Turman.
  12. Oda A Fixture

A brave undertaking.With your skill,patience and the expert advice of the more experienced members you are turning out a beautiful piece.

Oda.
  13. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Dan, Deki, Oda thanks for reply and for taking time to look at my sculpting attempt. Here's some ref pictures.. first one is what I'm trying to replicate..

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    garyhiggins likes this.
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Slightly more prominent cheek bones. Slightly more concave cheeks, not much. Slightly fuller lower lip. And the stuff I mentioned before. Much easier for me to see these than to do them myself. :(

All the best,

Dan
    garyhiggins, Dekiman and Scotty like this.
  15. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Coming along quite nicely. A little fine tuning of the facial features and it will be your best yet.
  16. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Dan, captfue ! I'm trying and trying.. and maybe one day I will learn..
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "Thanks Dan, captfue ! I'm trying and trying.. and maybe one day I will learn.."

You're doing very well!! Keep at it!

All the best,
    Dan
  18. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    After work playing with the Bride. Trying to re-sculpt hair , left arm moved a little bit back and shoulder up.. suggestions ?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Dan Morton likes this.
  19. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I see where you are going and this looks very good so far...Keep up the good work.

Wayne
  20. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Wayne !
    Wasn't satisfied with hair so I tried new approach. Please , your opinion ?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Oda likes this.