1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Scale Model Handbook No 14 from Mr Black Publications

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, May 10, 2015.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all ,

Now its probably a well known fact that I like books and one that I always enjoy reading and having in my collection is from the series from Mr Black Publications ....run by our very own Stelios Demiras .

We have now reached number 14 in the series of Figure Modelling in addition to there being 1 in the Diorama(which I also have!!!) .

Its seems amazing that Stelios can continue producing these books with such high quality from the release of No 1 being maintained at all times and I for one am really appreciative of his dedication and quality obtained by him and his team .

I mentioned quality and this is shown by :

The ease of purchase from his website

The very high standard of packing

Communication

Speed of despatch

The quality of the materials used for book itself

The quality of colour reproduction

The skill of the contributors and how happy they are to share techniques

The ease of the text and font making reading a pleasure.

So there you have it QUALITY IN ALL RESPECTS

Lets see what we are going to look further at:

0.jpg 00.jpg

Printed on high quality paper with card covers , pages with a satin finish and the covers being a Matt finish , consisting of a total of 48 pages and consisting of 8 articles , 7 with full colour plus another one consisting of mixes ( more later) .....what I will do is look at each article , highlighting various points which I found of use ( there are others!!!) .

Contributors are as follows:

STELIOS DEMIRAS • LOUIS D’ORIO • JU-WON JUNG • SANG-EON LEE
    DANIEL MILOSEVICH • SERGEY POPOVICHENKO • ISAAC JARAMILLO
    SAMA • JUANMA VERGARA

As you can see a veritable list of talent and there is a new contributor in the form of Sang-Eon Lee who is of course founder of Life Miniatures....welcome to the series my friend.

Lets begin with the first article

Ambush! - 54mm - Scratch Built

1.jpg

In this Sergy covers the scratchbuilding of a 54mm vignette , covering the thought behind, the inspiration , the way he produced the groundwork which itself has a total of 24 pictures in full colour , then he covers the painting of the figures colour pictures again are in amongst the text, some good mixes for Indian flesh as well ...a good start to the book so with anticipation I turned to the 2nd article .

Maschinengewehrschütze MG34 - 200mm

2.jpg

Written by Juanma using the Jeff Shiu machine Gunner , what screams out to me is he looks cold and he should be on the Eastern Front ......this is a winter camo special .....the first thing is the very interesting way he produces the helmet effects ( chipping etc) with 11 small but effective pictures showing the SBS and boy is it effective , a simple flesh mixes is used beautifully done , then of course we have the winter clothing , his greatcoat and a white camo sheet ..the mixes used for this are great and have gone into my little book of knowledge , in addition to the various SBS and mixes we have 4 full colour pages and 1 3/4 page of the finished piece /

The 3 rd is a Napoleonic subject:

The Coronation of Napoleon Bonaparte - 54mm

3.jpg

Issac is the author of this piece and all I can say is his painting is sblime , using the Masterclass Figure it depicts Napoleon in all his glory , covering the the base work (including how he made the Imperial bees for the carpet ..they are tiny ..but beautifully formed . Covering 4 pages all with superb colour on them , the mixes are given and I know many painters who wish they could paint like this ...including me !!, the red mix for me went in but I would have like to know the white as well that was used ..not a criticism just my thought......either way a beautiful figure and a credit to the skill used.

Its No 4 now:

Greek Hoplite - 180mm

4.jpg

YES I am in heavan ...this one is a bust , it is of course a bust from Young Miniatures , covering only 2 pages and written and painted by Louis , using enamels and acrylics ....mixes are given , painting on the finished item is great , particularly like the way the cloak has been done and the blood effects , Louis pays particular attention to the way he dealt with the metal son this piece , lots of techniques here and the result .....yummy !!!

The 5th now

Private, 93rd Highlanders, Crimea 1854 - 150mm

5.jpg

This has been produced by some fellow called Stelios ...the name might be familiar !!!!...and its a another bust this time from Stormtroopers V12 range ( now sadly ended ...the range not Stormtroopers!!) .

Suffice to say young Stelios has done a cracking job on the painting , the article covers 5 pages , dealing with prep and the majority of pictures covering the painting of the face using the Panzer Aces flesh colours ..fine result , the SBS has a total of 26 pictures , with 3 others showing a wet pallets and paints used , this article focuses mainly on the head and for a good reason beacause it is full of character but I am pleased as in the next we have a great follow on . We also see a full pages of fine colour of the finished piece .. as well as all the mixes being listed .....nice one Stelios.

The 6th article :

A Colour Guide for "British Red"

This is also written by Mr Demiras ( busy man!!!) and I salute him for including it , the right position in the book as well , , no pictures but this is one of the most useful article for me ..photocopied and in my files ..to save my book!! Covering that illusive British Red using enamels , Oils and Acrylics (including mentioning the red set from Andrea) . A nice bit of background on the colour and how it was achieved at the time . Great idea Stelios perhaps we might see actual colour swatches and mixes ..if you include another for perhaps blue or white. or green ..hint!!!

The 7th article :

The Siege Giant - 90mm

6.jpg

This is our new contributor in action here using the Galapagos bust ( happy bunny I am !!) a painting collaboration between Sang -Eon and previous contributor and his friend Ju - Won , I had the pleasure to review this and it is a monster of a sculpt ..the painting in this article is amazing , with Sang - Eon painting the Goblin and Ju - Won the Giant.
    The article covers 6 action packed pages and its a joy to read , full of colour as always , what stands out for me is the giant flesh effects ...and the wonderful way it interacts with the painting of the Goblin , 1 full colour page with another 18 pictures spread over the article of 6 pages .
    again my note book was out , lots of great mixes here including a great one for the goblin....a great debut piece lets hope we see more.

Last but not least the 8th

Hospitaller - 75mm

7.jpg

This article has been produced by Daniel using the Pegaso figure , producing a very colourful medieval knight , this time its a white metal figure and using his chosen medium Oils , prep is covered , together with mixes and the painting of a shield which I found particularly interesting , the black cloak was painted using some nice mixes , as with all the articles information is packed into them ....this is a nice finish to the books articles .

We also have some pages with the sponsors (in no particular order) namely:

a.jpg

aaaa.png

aaa.gif

aa.jpg

... a fine gesture of support from these companys all themselves producing quality items...why not have a look at their sites.

Final thoughts:

This is another really fine addition to the series packed full with excellent articles well explained and loaded to the brim with mixes ..it's another treat to add to the library and one that should definately be in anyone's bookshelf...alongside the others!

Thanks to Mr Black Publications for the review book ..enjoy getting this folks and I am looking forward to seeing No 15!

000.jpg

For more details and for great offers on this series of books visit the website at :

www.mrblackpublications.com

Email: mrblackpublications@yahoo.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/MrBlackPubications

Or you could always pm Stelios through this forum

Thanks for looking in ..off to look again at the other 13 from the series I have!

Nap
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great review.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I'll be getting it
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looks to be a really good addition to the bookshelf Kevin.
    Thank you for the review Mate it is a super way for me to know what's going on.
    All the very best
    Keith
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys,

Bit of a supplier update here .......

Tommys War are. now selling all the new releases including SMH 14 ......

If you want previous editions then why not contact Darren at TW who will be able to get them for you

Here's the link

http://tommyswar.co.uk/product/2410/

image.jpg

Good news for everyone ..nice one

Nap
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Brought one from TW!
  7. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kev, got my copy, top notch, (y)