1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Scale Model Handbook No 11 from Mr Black Publications

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all ,

If I was to mention one person on this forum who is so passionate about his releases then it would have to be Stelios Demiras the publisher and editor from Mr Black Publications , he is IMO a man who has quality all the way through his work no matter what it is , be it reviews or releases from his company .

This dedication for the pursuit of quality is evident in the series of figure modelling articles grouped together in a range of handbooks which has been increased with the latest release......I am of course talking about :

SCALE MODEL HANDBOOK NO 11

2.jpg
    3.jpg

General comments

As in the previous volumes we are treated to a very high quality product with contributions from the very best in our modelling world covering all types of subjects including preparation , painting,groundwork, scratch building...... all using various models both military and fantasy subjects

Produced on the high quality paper with card covers in a Matt finish , colour representation is superb in all of the 7 articles over the 52 page volume.

Text in all is easy to read and packed with information, paint mixes and hints.

MIKE BUTLER, JESUS GAMARRA, JU-WON JUNG, CHRISTOS KATSELOS, ERNESTO REYES STALHUTH,
    CARL STARTIN “CARLOS FIGUREART”, IOANNIS TSIKTSIRIS.

We are again treated to a great range of articles from the above authors all renowned in our hobby for being great ambassadors and all displaying their obvious artistic talents .

CONTENTS

Byzantine Draconarius, 6th Century - 75mm (Pegaso Models 75-101)

Afghan Tribesman 1842 - 200mm (Grenadier Miniatures GMB I/902)

Hidatsa Warrior 1835, Free Spirit - 75mm (Pegaso Models 75-030)

Ottoman Warrior - 90mm (YS Masterpieces HF90-002)

Stalingrad - 150mm (GRX Diffusion)

Kyle, Heir to the Blue Sun - 180mm (Galapagos Miniatures GP-B003)

Desert Warrior - 180mm (Young Miniatures YM1832)

Lets have a look at the 1st article

4.jpg

Written by Christos Katselos it is a fine piece of writing , the article looks at painting leather , metal and fabric on miniatures , we have a brief background on the subject (I found the information on the Draco standard particularly interesting).

As well as many paint mixes we also have pictures showing the incorporation of the supplied base into a larger groundwork .

The mixes for the armour are now all in my little black book of references , Christos has realised some wonderful results as I am sure you will agree .

The subject carries a shield and the painting of this including weathering effects are very welcome to this reader

We have SBS pictures in glorious colour and 2 full size pages of the completed figure ...a real good start to the book ...and inspirational .

On now to the 2nd article:

5.jpg

This is a bust ( I like busts!!!) this time produced by one of the worlds top class painter who has the ability to realise amazing effects and this shows so much in this piece..who am I on about ...our very own Ernestso Reyes Stalhuth.

In this article we are again in for a treat looking at Arabic skin tones and the texture of fabric , again there is so much information we are being spoied ..but long may it continue . The skin mix is so welcome and yes its in my note books (now nearly 15 in totals all packed full of stuff!!) .

Ernesto has an incredible skill in painting and this shines through when we look at the techniques he uses on the coat our model wears .

Again we have many full colour SBS pictures and full page pictures of front and back views

6.jpg

No 3 now this time done by Ioannis Tsiktsiris who shares his undeniable skills at producing a forest scenery , basework is something that I am always amazed at seeing , the techniques and materials used are many and never ending and the end results are as in this piece brilliant .

Our author opens up the treasure chest to reveal a sparkling array of effects , including making branches (placing each leaf individually!!!) and a water effect with fish!!!....all very skilled modelling and a real treat to read about .

The setting is for a Indian with horse , again paint mixes are included for both of these .

Colour pictures are interspersed with the text showing the various stages with a further 2 full size pages of the complted model and boy that groundwork is incredible.

7.jpg

No 4 is written by a author who has featured in another of the series ..the very 1st ( get this book!!!) I am of course on about Jesus Gamarra ....a true giant amongst our figure painters , using a very colourful subject we look at the painting and are again in for a treat when we see the end result of the basework ...a archway or rather part of it .

The painting is 2nd to none IMO and is explained in the article which has of course the mixes Jesus used, we have another verion of the Arab flesh tones ...all very welcome .

Of particular note was the treatment of the sword that edge looks so sharp ..nice one.

1 full page of the finished model and 1 with a couple of 3/4 sized images and of course there are the SBS pictures as well

8.jpg

No 5 is a newcomer , a fine painter and a true star and someone I have met personally and always admired his work it is Carl Startin aka"CarlosFigureart".

Our budding author has chosen a very simple bust to treat us to in the very popular 1/12th scale , painting in Oils (I forgive you Carl !!!) on what could be a very drab subject but not in the hands of this man he has produced a finish depicting the bitter russian winter..this guy looks cold .

Oil techniques are something I am always interested in especially where fleshwork is concerned and my goodness what effects have been achieved on the model , I learnt more than ever from the article so thanks Carl .....and yes we even have a snow effect on the bust very nicely done mate .

The painting of the leather straps are also great but the colour graduation achieved on the coat is nothing short of fab ....reckon I might be trying to add this beauty to my GA .

The article runs over 3 pages with pictures interspersed in high quality colour, written in a easy to read manner and in a way in which Carl's love of the hobby shines through ....more articles please .

9.jpg

No 6 is from another newcomer and someone who has hit the market place running and never stopped in producing wonderfully sculpted pieces it is the owner of Galapagos Miniatures Ju-Won Jung

This time we have a fantasy piece ( the only one in the book) and one which rocked the boat in terms of quality and sculpting skills , the subject being Kyle .

Painting by the author it is quite simply jaw dropping to see how the finished product is perceived and brought to life ...where to start for me the armour effects are stunning , the use of light on the piece is the same , particularly on the hair .

Painted using both Acrylics and Enamels we are talked down the journey Ju-Won takes when painting the subject ...a real treat

The author also shares the concept and the way in which he approaches a sculpt , something he has done IMO in every release from Galapagos , like this book quality shines through.

The article is again well written as though he is talking to the reader ,with colour throughout all adding to the enjoyment .

10.jpg

We now come to no 7 .....the final article in the book this time by Mike Butler .

We are being shown a NZ soldier from the LRDG ....what I like (apart from the fact its a bust!!!) are the tones that have been achieved on the skin , this guy has been under the sun , he is a tough fellow and the painting reflect this to great effect.

I really liked what has been done on the stubble on the face brings him to life IMO and is a wonderful and respectful miniature of these brave warriors .

Mixes are as always included alongside colour pictures including a full page one , what I also found good was Mikes basing simple yet so effective , the unit badge of a scorpion features on it proving that the base is an area that should never be skimped no matter what you paint .

Mike has also featured with a full figure in SMH no 8 ..have a look at this ...another great bit of work .

Final Thoughts

As with the previous volumes in the series , QUALITY leaps from every page no matter if its the way the articles are written , the colour pictures , or the overall presentation

It is always a pleasure to see another one from Stelios and Mr Black Publications

Treat yourself to a encyclopedia of inspiration in this volume and the others in the series.

For more details on this and others as well as special offers go to the website :

www.mrblackpublications.com

Suppliers are worldwide see the website for details , shipping is fast and efficient with items being well packed

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Sag997, swralph, Eludia and 4 others like this.
  2. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Again Nap thanks for review & kind words about my small submission to Stelios's latest work.
    As always it is humbling to be part of this legacy for our hobby.

Look forward to getting a copy soon.

Stay safe,

Mike
    napoleonpeart, Eludia and NickM like this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review as always Nap. I've been dropping some heavy hints to Mrs E over the last few days so hopefully she'll get the hint and buy me my "comic" as she so delicately puts it ;)

Can't wait to read your article Mike (y)

Cheers,
    Billy
  4. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Thank you Kevin for the presentation. You are always very detailed and precise. I hope that we will continue to keep this high level and pleased all of our readers.

Mike your contribution is valuable as you have an excellent painting style!

Billy I hope that soon will enjoy the book.

Some more news. The following distributors, dealers have already received the SMH11-FM11 and they are ready to ship:

Historex Agents in UK

Stevens International in USA

Enjoy the book

Stelios
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the great review kev,i'll order mine tomorow
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

Another great review(y)
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    where do we get this in the uk
  8. swralph A Fixture

Historex Agents
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Or SK miniatures, or Sphere. Dunno if they are on their respective sites but both Steve and Jon had some at Figureworld earlier today. In fact I bought one from Jon (sorry Steve).

Billy :)